Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1503762 - 02/02/11 04:11 AM Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD?
Analauditor Offline
Are the fees for holding a customer statement and for counter/temporary checks considered covered fees under Reg DD and thus subject to a 30 day notice if we are increasing the fee?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1503840 - 02/02/11 03:29 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? Analauditor
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They are fees directly associated with the deposit account - so yes.

Return to Top
#1503850 - 02/02/11 03:39 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? rlcarey
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I would agree that the check fees are covered, but I wouldn't have thought the hold statement fee would be subject to notice since it is a type of ancillary service requested by the customer. They would be subject to customer agreement provisions for change.

Return to Top
#1503857 - 02/02/11 03:53 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? BrendaC
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is no different from any other fee that may or mat not be charged. For instance, I have never had to place a stop payment on a check, but the fee is required to be disclosed. Holding statements is a similar circumstance. If it is a service that is offered, the fees must be disclosed and fall under Reg. DD.

Return to Top
#1505635 - 02/04/11 08:59 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? rlcarey
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
The check fees, although need to be disclosed, do not require 30 days notice, see Reg DD:

Sec. 230.5 Subsequent disclosures:
(a) Change in terms
(2) No notice required. No notice under this section is required for:
(ii) Check printing fees. Changes in fees assessed for check printing.

Staff Interpretations:
(a) Change in terms
(a)(2) No notice required
(a)(2)(ii) Check printing fees
1. Increase in fees. A notice is not required for an increase in fees for printing checks (or deposit and withdrawal slips) even if the institution adds some amount to the price charged by the vendor.

Last edited by Bob The Banker; 02/04/11 09:03 PM.
Return to Top
#1675788 - 03/09/12 07:08 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? Analauditor
kjbabington Offline
100 Club
FL
Does the specific fee amount for checks need to be included on the disclosure, or can it state check printing fees may vary by style. Since the customer has options to choose from when selecting their checks for ordering? I was slightly confused because the Regulations states the following, but I wasn't sure if it applied to check printing fees?

3. Amount of fees. Institutions must state the amount and conditions under which a fee may be imposed. Naming and describing the fee (such as “$4.00 monthly service fee”) will typically satisfy these requirements.

Return to Top
#1675812 - 03/09/12 07:41 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? Analauditor
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I think the original question concerned counter check fees. I don't think it has anything to do with check printing fees, which is given some special treatment (favorable) under the regulation. I think that Analauditor's question has to do with a per use fee for counter checks, and that, I think, is a fee that would trip a CIT notice if increased.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1675815 - 03/09/12 07:44 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? kjbabington
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Take a look at Model Form B-4. The amount of the checkprinting fee is not disclosed, but the fact that it varies depending on style, etc., of check selected is disclosed.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1675880 - 03/09/12 08:45 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? John Burnett
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: John Burnett
I think the original question concerned counter check fees. I don't think it has anything to do with check printing fees, which is given some special treatment (favorable) under the regulation. I think that Analauditor's question has to do with a per use fee for counter checks, and that, I think, is a fee that would trip a CIT notice if increased.

Maybe our "counter checks" are a different type of product than what is being referred to here... but...

Our "counter checks" are checks printed on demand for the specified account. We fee the customer $1 per check that we print for them.

In our case, this most certainly is a "check printing fee" (IMO)... Are you referring to a different type of product than described above?

Return to Top
#1676839 - 03/13/12 04:22 PM Re: Are these considered covered fees under Reg DD? Analauditor
kjbabington Offline
100 Club
FL
I was referring to the check orders a customer places from a printing company through the bank(not counter checks).

Thanks
Kristy

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett