Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1505354 - 02/04/11 04:45 PM Teeth Whitening
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Have you ever had your teeth professionally whitened? I know there are plenty of at-home kits, but I am considering asking my dentist to do it. Just curious if anyone has ever done that and what it's like? I am a little worried about a dramatic overnight change that would make the procedure really obvious to anyone that sees me on a regular basis.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1505357 - 02/04/11 04:47 PM Re: Teeth Whitening manimal
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I had horrible tetracycaline <spelling?> stains for most of my life. I finally got a teeth whitening system from my dentist about 12 years ago. While they certainly aren't gleaming white, they are so much better than before. Due to the severity of my issue it took approximately 6 months, but more than worth it. I had to wear a bite plate every night filled with the solution.

Best of luck on your decision.

Return to Top
#1505369 - 02/04/11 04:53 PM Re: Teeth Whitening Skittles
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
The first time I whitened, the dentist did it. It was before the Zoom whitening though so I don't know what that is like. I've done home kits too, and most of them are only okay.

Return to Top
#1505379 - 02/04/11 04:59 PM Re: Teeth Whitening kitten
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Skittles, I have the same problem...tetracycline staining. I didn't think the whitening worked on that?!?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1505394 - 02/04/11 05:16 PM Re: Teeth Whitening RR Joker
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
<<< had to google Zoom whitening blush

I recently switched dentists and my previous one was way behind in the times. He was a really nice dentist and person but was so close to retirement I half expected his office to be closed every time I called for an appointment. Now that I have been to a new dentist, I am realizing how behind I probably am on the more modern cleaning methods and dental care procedures.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1505422 - 02/04/11 05:44 PM Re: Teeth Whitening manimal
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
I only know what it was because I watched that hideous makeover show where they did all the plastic surgery. blush

Return to Top
#1505434 - 02/04/11 05:56 PM Re: Teeth Whitening kitten
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I did it after braces years ago. I did it with a customer fitted teeth tray at home btu with a whitening gel I coudl onyl get from the dentist. It worked nicely but it made my teeth hurt--sensitivity!!! The solution back then etched your enamel in order to release the stains. Not sure what the solutions these days are liek or how they work, btu I would use some hard core fluoride whiel you are bleaching.

Return to Top
#1505436 - 02/04/11 05:56 PM Re: Teeth Whitening kitten
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
Originally Posted By: KittenLove
I only know what it was because I watched that hideous makeover show where they did all the plastic surgery. blush

Are you talking about 'The Swan'?

Return to Top
#1505443 - 02/04/11 05:59 PM Re: Teeth Whitening ecrew,CRCM
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
OMG! Yes. That was it. I couldn't think of the name. Horrible show. Just horrible. laugh

Return to Top
#1505454 - 02/04/11 06:05 PM Re: Teeth Whitening kitten
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
I know, and it wasn't like you could just stop watching. I wanted to see them after the transformation. blush

But back to the whitening, I've only done over the counter treatments but a friend of mine got one from her dentist and it was gradual whitening.

Return to Top
#1505954 - 02/07/11 03:28 PM Re: Teeth Whitening ecrew,CRCM
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I know my dentist has a chart of whitening shades, so you can pick one that is not so dramatic and then increase it over time.

Return to Top
#1505978 - 02/07/11 03:49 PM Re: Teeth Whitening Retired DQ
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Picturing the episode of Friends where Ross had his teeth whitened and it was blinding..... Lol.

I have considered this in the past - many years ago when I checked it was $600 at my dentist. I know the price has come down and that there are newer, better procedures now.

Return to Top
#1505996 - 02/07/11 04:01 PM Re: Teeth Whitening thomasj
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Asked about pricing last time I went to the dentist. For in-office, $1500. DIY, $600. I'd like to get this done since I quit smoking, but I'm too cheap.

Do any of the over the counter teeth whitening systems work well?

Return to Top
#1506004 - 02/07/11 04:12 PM Re: Teeth Whitening RR Joker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Joker - it worked, but very slowly. Like I said, it took approximately 6 months and my teeth are far from white, but if you could see before and after pictures it was truly an amazing transformation. At the time it cost $300 - and an additional $35 for each tube of gel. I need to get some more and do it again for about a week to touch up, though.

Yes, there was some sensitivity, but it honestly wasn't too bad - and more than worth it. I never smiled before - seriously - but I do now.

Return to Top
#1506011 - 02/07/11 04:24 PM Re: Teeth Whitening Ops
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: Ops
Asked about pricing last time I went to the dentist. For in-office, $1500. DIY, $600. I'd like to get this done since I quit smoking, but I'm too cheap.

Do any of the over the counter teeth whitening systems work well?

I have heard that the Crest line of whitening products are the best for your $$ and time. We just picked up the Crest 3D toothpaste and mouthwash this weekend to try. I would rather brush and rinse than use those nasty strips. Eeeeelww.
Last edited by manimal82; 02/07/11 04:24 PM. Reason: I cannot write a grammatically-correct sentence

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1506016 - 02/07/11 04:27 PM Re: Teeth Whitening thomasj
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
Originally Posted By: thomasj
Picturing the episode of Friends where Ross had his teeth whitened and it was blinding

That is my ultimate fear... that I'll walk in to the office, smile and say hello...

and everyone will put their sunglasses back on. eek

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1506757 - 02/08/11 07:20 PM Re: Teeth Whitening manimal
MrsArmadillo Offline
MrsArmadillo
The South
I got a professional kit about 5 years ago...dentist made me custom molded trays for my teeth. The trays and first round of bleach was about $300. The sensitivity was worth it...but you can decrease the time you wear them and it helps. I still use my trays every now and then for a touch up. I am considering buying some bleach off Overstock.com. Its about $30 vs. $100 refill charge at dentist office.

Ps. Dentist told me if you drink coffee, redwine, or smoke, Zoom whitening is not worth the money.

Return to Top
#1506773 - 02/08/11 07:35 PM Re: Teeth Whitening MrsArmadillo
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I did the same thing gadget mentioned above.

It costs a few bucks initially (for the molds) but once you have them you just buy some bleach every once in a while to keep them white

Return to Top
#1507035 - 02/09/11 12:33 PM Re: Teeth Whitening Peepers
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
<- Is trying the Crest Avanced Vivid whitening strips currently.

I've noticed a subtle difference, but I'm not satisfied yet. This box indicates you should only use this product twice a year (total of 4 weeks). I may consider asking the dentist about something. The strips only cover so many teeth.

Return to Top
#1508262 - 02/10/11 07:58 PM Re: Teeth Whitening NotPerfect
A_G Offline
10K Club
<---- tried the crest strips. they made my teeth way too sensitive.

Return to Top
#1508264 - 02/10/11 07:59 PM Re: Teeth Whitening NotPerfect
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
That stinks.. The crest strips were what I was considering. I may still try them. There has to be some sort of improvement.

Return to Top
#1508398 - 02/10/11 09:32 PM Re: Teeth Whitening Ops
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I'm whitening right now! I've been using the Crest 3D White toothpaste, 3D White rinse, and the 3D White advanced tooth strips every day. Results have been pretty gradual, and I have 3 more days to go to complete the 2 weeks. I have not had any sensitivity at all, which is wonderful. For me, it has been a dramatic change (I took "before" photos and photos every 2 days since, and I see a BIG change overall) but nobody has been blinded or anything! laugh Several people have asked if I'm wearing different makeup or something, and a couple of people have commented that I'm more "smiley" than usual, and my brother said, "something seems different - did you cut your hair?", but nobody has asked if I'm whitening. Ops, give the Crest strips a try!

Return to Top
#1510036 - 02/14/11 09:55 PM Re: Teeth Whitening BurntSienna
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
My wife uses the Crest White Strips and they work very well on her, but she doesn't smoke or drink coffee at all, and only drinks tea occasionally.

I drink tea all the time and a cup of coffee daily, and I used Dr. George's Teeth Whitener from Wal-mart (about $7) with the trays that you put in warm water and fit to your teeth, and it works GREAT on me. You do it for approx. 1/2 hr to start and gradually your teeth get whiter. You can do it a little longer if your teeth can handle the gel (it's a little tough on very sensitive teeth but not bad).

For $7 vs. the expensive other methods, might be worth a try for most people.

Return to Top
#1512451 - 02/18/11 09:28 PM Re: Teeth Whitening MB Guy
More Changes?!? Offline
Coming from a person obesessed with white teeth, I use to use the Crest White Strips (& used them way more than what was recommended), loved them, did not have sensitivity, and you could really tell a big difference.... But they did not give me the TV white I wanted, so I went to the dentist and got the custom trays and gel, it cost about $350 and then the refil gels are $40 every 2-3 months depending on how often you whiten. You wear them overnight and definately work. If you don't want to spend $$ I'd try Crest white strips first!! But the dentist trays are the way to go if you want *WHITE* teeth!

Return to Top
#1513900 - 02/24/11 01:37 PM Re: Teeth Whitening manimal
A_G Offline
10K Club
any updates?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett