Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1506584 - 02/08/11 03:56 PM Birthday Gifts and Children's Savings Accounts
fretzer Offline
Pennsylvania
Our institution has a children's savings program where they receive an annual b-day gift from opening through age 18. There are a couple years where the gifts may be over $10. Should disclosures be included on all advertising since one or two years the gifts may exceed the $10 limit?

Return to Top
Marketing
#1507014 - 02/09/11 03:18 AM Re: Birthday Gifts and Children's Savings Accounts fretzer
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Disclosures for what? That this is interest that they will have to claim it on their taxes? They have to claim it whether you issue a 1099INT or not. Whatever the ammount would just be added to the other interest earned that year.

Return to Top
#1507308 - 02/09/11 05:07 PM Re: Birthday Gifts and Children's Savings Accounts rlcarey
fretzer Offline
Pennsylvania
I guess you can say I'm confused!! Is this a "bonus" or "interest"? This is a b-day gift given annually as long as the account is opened (maintained). Under TISA wouldn't this be considered a "bonus"? Most of the gifts are under $10 (which would not require additional disclosure under TISA), but because a couple of the gifts would go over the $10 limit do we have to provide TISA disclosures in our advertisements; such as APY, minimum balance, bonus type, etc? Any help would be appreciated. I just want to know if our ads for this savings program will require the additional TISA disclosures and of course want to make sure they're compliant. As for 1099 reporting - all the items would be considered INT? Thank you!!
Last edited by fretzer; 02/09/11 09:26 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker