BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1509614 - 02/14/11 02:41 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Skittles
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I don't know if I've ever posted this one before. It's my hubbys most favorite soup of all. It really is awesome. It's not the most healthy soup out there but oh my, it is so tasty! I usually substitute most if not all of the half & half with skim milk (like that'll save you from 8 slices of bacon!)

Hard Rock Cafe Baked Potato Soup Recipe

8 slices bacon, fried crisp. Retain drippings.
1 c. diced yellow onion
2/3 c. flour
6 c. chicken broth
4 c. diced peeled baked potato
2 c. half & half
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 t. granulated garlic
1 1/2 t. dried basil
1 1/2 t. tabasco sauce
1 1/2 t. coarse ground black pepper
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 c. diced green onion

Chop cooked bacon. Set aside. Cook onions in bacon drippings over medium high heat until transparent. Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture begins to turn golden. Add broth gradually, stirring constantly with whisk until thickened. Reduce heat to simmer and add potatoes, cream, bacon, parsley, garlic, basil, tabasco sauce, and black pepper. Simmer ten minutes. Do not boil. Garnish with crackers, cheese and/or green onion.

Hint - For a more spicier version I like to use pepper bacon.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1509632 - 02/14/11 02:57 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
That sounds yummy! I have a question - do you cook the potatoes before putting them in the pot, or is simmering for 10 minutes enough to cook them through?

Also - you could make it healthier by using fat free half and half. That's what I used in the corn chowder recipe I made last night.

Return to Top
#1509653 - 02/14/11 03:17 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Skittles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Skittles, the recipe calls for BAKED potatoes. They have to be baked ahead of time or you don't get the flavor that's such an important part of this soup.

Don't worry. We're all having Monday morning issues. smile

Return to Top
#1509671 - 02/14/11 03:30 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I've never made it with anything other than baked potatoes. I usually just cook a few potatoes the night before and then just assemble the soup the next nite. It's also easier to peel cold baked potates than those made fresh.

I also cook the roux for quite a bit longer (5-7 minutes), since the longer you cook the more flavor develops.

Return to Top
#1509697 - 02/14/11 03:50 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Wow - guess I wasn't paying much attention, huh? Too busy reviewing my HMDA edits this morning. Thanks for answering my ridiculous question.

Return to Top
#1509701 - 02/14/11 03:58 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please RR Joker
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
OK, looking at the ingredients you wonder what it will [look like - taste like] - it is great though.

CRAB BISQUE

2 Cans Campbell’s Green Pea Soup
2 Cans Campbell’s Tomato Soup
1 Cup Milk
2 Cup Light Cream
1/3 Cup Sherry
8 oz. Fresh/Pasteurized Backfin Crabmeat
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce

Mix soups and milk together until smooth.
Heat on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot but not boiling.
(CAREFUL!!!! CAREFUL!!!! It will stick to the bottom of the pan if not babysitting it or if the stove is too hot.)
Add cream, crabmeat and sherry.
Cook (actually you only heat it until the cream becomes warm) an additional 10 minutes. SERVE AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Note: You can mix the soup and milk together ahead of time, before putting it on the stove, you can do this the day before and refrigerate or early in the day. The pea soup is very thick and you can use a potato masher to speed up the mixing process. Then you just have to heat and add the last three ingredients at serving time. Keeps in the slow cooker well if serving guests as in a buffet.

Return to Top
#1509730 - 02/14/11 04:26 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Rocky P
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
RR that is a typo, it is supposed to be non- reactive. Sorry about that!!

Return to Top
#1509781 - 02/14/11 05:09 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please kms
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Here is another Potato Soup that is close to what you find in some of the restaurants. It is especially good for those of us who have issues with spicy items like tobasco, etc.

Baked Potato Soup

2/3 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup flour
7 cups milk
4 green onions, sliced thin
4 cups baked potato, peeled and cubed
12 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
8 oz. sour cream
1 ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ tsp. pepper
¾ tsp. salt

In a large kettle, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook until smooth. Add milk and continue cooking until thickened. Stir in onions and potatoes. Bring just to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add bacon, sour cream, cheese, pepper and salt and stir until cheese is completely melted. Makes 2 ½ quarts and serves 8-10.

Return to Top
#1509791 - 02/14/11 05:20 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please kms
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Our favorite soup is now Broccoli Cheese Soup and it is so easy:

1/2 onion
butter
broccoli florets (about 1 cup)
1 cn cream of mushroom soup
1 cn cream of chicken soup
1 cn cream of celery soup
milk
4 to 8 oz colby jack cheese (or your fav)

Sautee chopped onion for a few minutes, add soups and milk to desired consistency (probably about two cups). You can thin with more milk or water as you like. Stir well.

I like to microwave broccoli to give it a quick start in cooking and because I usually use frozen broccoli. I microwave one minute, chop finely and then add to soup. Add grated cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.

This only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish, so it's a great after work dinner and my family loves it.

Warning: I am a "scratch" cook, so I seldom measure. Feel free to modify to your taste.

Return to Top
#1509843 - 02/14/11 06:33 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please BrendaC
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I can usually work my way around the dairy allergies. My corn chowder can be made without cheese, butter or milk and you'd never know it. Cooked potatoes make an excellent thickener. Then those that can have cheese throw some on top with green onions and bacon at the table.

My problem comes in using canned soups. Do you know how many items have wheat (gluton) in them? So I'm becoming more and more of a truly scratch cook using only fresh items and figuring out how to work around. The sausage soup was great yesterday for dinner, as was the wild rice soup on Friday. Looking forward to trying the seafood bisque next. Thankfully, the one with the dairy allergy also can't have fish so I won't have to tweak this recipe except for using rice flour instead of white.

Thank you all again for sharing. It's definitely changed our menu board!

Return to Top
#1511119 - 02/16/11 10:39 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please *W*W*
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
Home sick today and tried this one. Super simple but really good!
Spicy V8 and beef flavored Ramen noodles.
Just use the V8 in place of the water and I added a little left over italian sausage. Its wonderful and really fast.

Return to Top
#1512721 - 02/21/11 09:27 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Bankbb1, PITA
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
cigarettes and chocolate milk
these are just a couple of my cravings
everything it seems i like's a little bit stronger
a little bit thicker
a little bit harmful for me

if i should buy jellybeans
have to eat them all in just one sitting
everything it seems i like's a little bit sweeter
a little bit fatter
a little bit harmful for me

Return to Top
#1651036 - 01/13/12 06:22 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
I found this old thread while looking for RR Sarah's Beer Cheese Soup recipe (that I misplaced somehow and was shocked to realize I didn't know it by heart by now) and wondered if anyone had some new soup recipes to add.
This one has become my family's new favorite

Sausage and Bean
1 family size box of Zataran's Red Beans & Rice, prepared
1 can kidney beans
sausage of your choice (we like kielbasa)
2 large containers of Swanson Beef Broth
Heat and eat.

Return to Top
#1651055 - 01/13/12 06:46 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm going to try Giada's turkey and kale soup tonight.
If it works, I'll post the recipe.

Anybody got any good crock pot soup recipes?

Return to Top
#1651059 - 01/13/12 07:05 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
ASHY-Horse Meat Soup

500 g mutton
250 grams of horse meat (flank)
75-100 g fat kurdjuchnogo
2 radishes
4 onions
4.3 Tomato
1 clove garlic
or 3-4 heads and green garlic or bulb 1 cup chopped green steppe (lady’s purse, alfalfa, etc.)
or 2 tbsp. tablespoons parsley, 1 tbsp. teaspoon chervil
2 eggs
1-2 tbsp. tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon flour
0.5 tsp black pepper
2.3 bay leaves
1,5 L of boiling water
1. Prepared bone mutton and horse meat (one piece), pour boiling water, boil the broth.

2. The flesh of mutton chop narrow thin strips in the form of thick noodles and fry on a sheep’s tail fat perekalennom a cauldron for 10-15 minutes, then add the diced onion and radish strips and continue to saute and simmer for another 20-25 minutes, adding as little boiling juice amount of broth.

Return to Top
#1651064 - 01/13/12 06:57 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
Zoo Mama Offline
100 Club
My favorite crock pot soup is chicken noodle.
I put three boneless skinless chicken breasts in a crock with chopped onion, celery and shredded carrott. Add a little parsley and Swanson's chicken broth plus 2 T bulion granules. Cook all day on low. Remove chicken to shred and add egg noodles when you get home. Super simple and delicious.

Return to Top
#1651178 - 01/13/12 09:47 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

I think she has a lemon chicken soup recipe on there. I linked to it from pinterest btu couldn't get the recipe without registering on her site (which I didn't want to do).

If you're feeling particularly nice, can you see if she has a lemon chicken soup and send it to me via PM or FM messgae??? laugh

Return to Top
#1651180 - 01/13/12 09:49 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Dip
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Dip
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

I think she has a lemon chicken soup recipe on there. I linked to it from pinterest btu couldn't get the recipe without registering on her site (which I didn't want to do).

If you're feeling particularly nice, can you see if she has a lemon chicken soup and send it to me via PM or FM messgae??? laugh

Ha, I was gonan give you the link to make it easy and whaddya know, it's on foodnetwork:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada...cipe/index.html

Return to Top
#1651186 - 01/13/12 09:56 PM Re: Need some new soup recipes, please Truffle Royale
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
Speaking of kale...this is one that I recently made and really liked! Several modifications to healthy it up a bit and remove some things that weren't liked by all. Will make more changes if I make it again, but overall really liked it!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/sausage-kale-and-lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

Used ground turkey instead of sausage, left out the celery, chile pepper, nutmeg, and salt.

A little spice, not much. Would be pretty tasty with a full pound of sausage in it...but really ups the calorie count!

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4