BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1499090 - 01/24/11 03:30 PM Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, so my sister was just told she has to go on a gluten free diet, and after looking around for gluten free foods, I am shocked at how hard it is for her to shop.

I'm curious, how many of you know someone who cannot or choses not to eat gluten?

Return to Top
#1499107 - 01/24/11 03:43 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy B_F
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia

Return to Top
#1499113 - 01/24/11 03:48 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Ops
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I know one girl who has to live gluten free. She says that once you learn what to look for, it's not that bad. Going out to eat is the hardest part for her.

Return to Top
#1499200 - 01/24/11 05:14 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy RR Becca
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
The mroe healthy stores have plenty of gluten-free stuff...Henry's, Whoel Foods, etc, although you have to pay a little more.

The noodle bowls I eat ae gluten free--they have rice noodles in them and are tasty.

A friend chooses to be gluten free and she does fine btu cooks most of her food herself.

Return to Top
#1499235 - 01/24/11 05:43 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Dip
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
It depends on the store that you shop at, of course some towns might not have 'the right store'. This is becoming more and more common BF so I don't think she'll have a problem once she figures out where to get her groceries at.

Return to Top
#1499252 - 01/24/11 05:56 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy bOaty
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Shasta, she'll be moving to Cincinnati later this year and a lot of her troubles will be solved. Jungle Jims (look it up on the web sometime) has dedicated several aisles to Gluten Free products, as well as several freezers.

Return to Top
#1499293 - 01/24/11 06:39 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy B_F
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
BF - Our DIL was vegan/now back to vegetarian, so I am used to looking at ingredients in foods. I see more and more 'gluten-frees' on labels.

We had a weekend guest a few years ago, and I had no trouble cooking for her.

Once she gets into the swing, she will be fine.

Return to Top
#1499357 - 01/24/11 07:45 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Snow Bunny
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Chilly, why did she finally decide to relax the vegan??

Return to Top
#1499367 - 01/24/11 07:55 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy #Just Jay
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
They went to Europe in the fall and Europe is very vegetarian, but not vegan, so back in June, she switched to vegetarian so that her body could adapt. When they got back, the next day she went back to vegan. Two weeks later - she switched again. She just wayyyyyyyyy too loves her cheese, and it's just so much easier for her to eat now. Our son said he was amazed that she lasted vegan so long.

Return to Top
#1499420 - 01/24/11 08:36 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Vegans are CrAzY! I can see not eating some meats, but how can people live without a good steak on the grill during the summer? How can they live without cheese, milk, and eggs? Man was not meant to live on twigs and berries!

Return to Top
#1499441 - 01/24/11 09:01 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy B_F
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
laugh

To quote her 2 weeks ago - 'I could never make a creature die so that I could eat'

We were all young and crazy once. smile

Return to Top
#1499478 - 01/24/11 09:44 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Snow Bunny
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
OMG BF, if I didn't know better I'd say I posted that!

My 17 year old sister lives with me, and shes having alot of trouble with her food. The Dr. thought it was Celiac, and so we went gluten free for a week while we waited for the test results. Here we have County Market/Cub foods, and they have a whole health food isle with a decent amount of Gluten free food. VERY expensive, but gluten free smile

The easiest thing to find is Rice noodles, and they don't really taste all that different, especially once you put your sauces and stuff on them.

Her tests came back negitive for Celiac, so now she's being tested for Crohns. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

Return to Top
#1499857 - 01/25/11 05:49 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Loralie
Mad Banker Offline
New Poster
Mad Banker
Kentucky
Crohns isn't nice either. My daughter-in-law has Crohn's frown
My neice has Celiac ... and once she started looking ... she is finding a lot of receipes for Gluten free meals ... and quite a lot of food at the stores and restaurants that she can eat.

Return to Top
#1500660 - 01/26/11 07:07 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Mad Banker
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
The good news is, if it is Crohns, and she has good insurance, Remicaide works really well for it.

Return to Top
#1505808 - 02/05/11 05:30 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy B_F
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My cousin takes Remicaide and it works pretty well for him, but he's been completely symptom free since he added an over the counter pill called Digestive Advantage Crohn's and Colitis Formula. It's just a once-daily capsule that contains "good" bacteria (pro-biotics) to help your digestive system. They also make an IBS formula and a lactose-intolerance formula. Worth a try for your DIL, MadBanker. smile

My other cousin is on a gluten-free diet now for her multiple sclerosis, and it's made a huge difference in how she feels. The irony is that her husband drives a truck for Turano Bread for a living. laugh

Return to Top
#1508045 - 02/10/11 04:23 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy BurntSienna
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I've been noticing a lot of gluten free products lately. Seems that there's a bigger effort to market to that group. I even saw a coupon for gluten free products recently. I think we'll see this more and more.

Return to Top
#1508270 - 02/10/11 08:04 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy Ops
A_G Online
10K Club
I agree, Ops.

I know at least four people with the allergy.

There are even some restaurants around here that tout gluten free menus.

Return to Top
#1510841 - 02/16/11 05:52 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy A_G
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I think awareness is growing as the number of people affected grows.

Return to Top
#1510854 - 02/16/11 06:02 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy BurntSienna
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: WildBlueYonder

My other cousin is on a gluten-free diet now for her multiple sclerosis, and it's made a huge difference in how she feels. The irony is that her husband drives a truck for Turano Bread for a living. laugh

There is a connection between MS and gluten? My neighbor has MS and is not doing well at all (she's about 32)

Return to Top
#1510968 - 02/16/11 07:58 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy madukes
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Oh yes, definitely a connection. Google "gluten and Multiple Sclerosis" and you will find a lot of reading material. My cousin is 47 years old and she has said the difference is like night and day since she removed gluten from her diet.

Return to Top
#1511432 - 02/17/11 05:18 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy BurntSienna
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I am amazed at the number of restaurants that are offering gluton and other allergy free dishes. I just found out our favorite Italian place has a special gluton free menu. So we can all go out for pasta together again.

Return to Top
#1511449 - 02/17/11 05:31 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy BurntSienna
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Oh yes, definitely a connection. Google "gluten and Multiple Sclerosis" and you will find a lot of reading material. My cousin is 47 years old and she has said the difference is like night and day since she removed gluten from her diet.

Thank you! I will have to look it up for my neighbor. She (at times) is in a wheelchair; has fallen down her steps and in her bathroom; has burns on her hands because they are numb and she didn't feel anything... and she's only about 32.

Return to Top
#1511466 - 02/17/11 05:49 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy madukes
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: madukes

Thank you! I will have to look it up for my neighbor. She (at times) is in a wheelchair; has fallen down her steps and in her bathroom; has burns on her hands because they are numb and she didn't feel anything... and she's only about 32.

WOW! I was reading just one article - and it ties in with a lot of the things she told me recently (low iron, low zinc, vitamin D to name a few). I will definitely have to get some info together for her.

Return to Top
#1511483 - 02/17/11 06:11 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy madukes
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Madukes, that's so sweet of you. I truly hope this info can help your neighbor. smile

Return to Top
#1511537 - 02/17/11 07:05 PM Re: Celiac Disease or Gluten Allergy BurntSienna
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Madukes, that's so sweet of you. I truly hope this info can help your neighbor. smile

She can be a bit ditzy at times but she has a good heart and would give anyone the shirt off her back. I feel bad for her - she doesn't seem to get much, if any, support from her family and I believe her mother thinks she is a hypochondriac. She's a single mother of teenage and tweenage girls.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett