Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1511480 - 02/17/11 06:06 PM Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience?
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Hello,

I know that so many of my fellow BOL'ers are involved in work with various charitable foundations. I work with a local homeless shelter organization (PADS - Public Action to Deliver Shelter). They are struggling to keep enough bed linens and towels for the overnight guests in the shelters. I volunteered to try and find out how to apply for and obtain grants for money to obtain these types of operational items.

If anyone knows of an organization that may provide grants or knows of a good resource for finding out about grants, that would be wonderful and I would really appreciate the input.

I have searched the internet, but it seems that a lot of the grant info online is just advertisements where they want me to pay their company money to search for grants for us.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1511614 - 02/17/11 08:10 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? BurntSienna
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Hello. I have been on the board of a homeless shelter in Naples, FL for the last 7 years and we only have one grant which is through HUD.

The process is onerous and maintaining their standards isn't always that easy, but it got us through a tough time when we needed it. Although, now we'd really like to be through with it and hopefully we will be in the relative near future.

I would search HUD's website and contact them.

Return to Top
#1511634 - 02/17/11 08:34 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? BurntSienna
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Many bank's have Charitable Foundations, even quite small banks. Have you checked with the bank you work for?

Return to Top
#1511655 - 02/17/11 08:57 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? renniks
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I know you have probably already thought of this but I'll throw it out there anyway - you may want to check with local hotels, hospitals, and if you have a large scale linen rental place (that may supply hospitals and such) to see if they have items that may be too worn for their use but serve the purpose for your organization. Just a thought.....

Return to Top
#1511667 - 02/17/11 09:08 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? BurntSienna
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: WildBlueYonder
Hello,

I know that so many of my fellow BOL'ers are involved in work with various charitable foundations. I work with a local homeless shelter organization (PADS - Public Action to Deliver Shelter). They are struggling to keep enough bed linens and towels for the overnight guests in the shelters. I volunteered to try and find out how to apply for and obtain grants for money to obtain these types of operational items.

If anyone knows of an organization that may provide grants or knows of a good resource for finding out about grants, that would be wonderful and I would really appreciate the input.

I have searched the internet, but it seems that a lot of the grant info online is just advertisements where they want me to pay their company money to search for grants for us.

How about a "blanket drive"? We've had them here for coats and delivered them to homeless shelters.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1511669 - 02/17/11 09:11 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? madukes
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country

Return to Top
#1511692 - 02/17/11 09:41 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? madukes
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
You guys are amazing. All great ideas that I will be looking into, thank you! smile

Return to Top
#1513118 - 02/22/11 08:52 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? BurntSienna
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
When approaching a bank or its private Foundation, make sure you use the argument that it is CRA eligible.

Providing shelter fits neighborhood revitalization/affordable housing, which is one of the four community development purposes under the CRA....so it is not only the right thing to do, but it is CRA eligible.

Return to Top
#1517816 - 03/04/11 06:55 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? Pale Rider
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks, Pale! Thank you so much to everyone else for all the great links and ideas!

Return to Top
#1518187 - 03/07/11 03:44 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? BurntSienna
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Pale makes an excellent, excellent point!

So many banks are searching for CRA-qualified investments, that is definitely the way to go when approaching them.

Return to Top
#1518438 - 03/07/11 09:17 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? MB Guy
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Here's a useful website:

http://foundationcenter.org/

A couple of caveats about approaching banks - while a donation qualifies as a Community Development Investment, many smaller banks are not in a position to make a donation large enough to be appreciated by their examiners. Nothing like having an examiner "sniff" at a $2,500 donation. mad

As a result, many banks are gun-shy about donations because they didn't do them much good in the last exam. mad

However, if you are lucky enough to obtain a donation from a bank, be sure to provide them with the paperwork they will need to get CRA credit - i.e. document that the people receiving services are homeless and are also low- or moderate-income.

Believe it or not, just because you say you are a homeless shelter doesn't mean an examiner will take it on face value. mad mad

Return to Top
#1518478 - 03/07/11 10:10 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? Princess Romeo
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Someone sounds bitter...

Return to Top
#1518623 - 03/08/11 02:27 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? MB Guy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
^^^ never had an examiner ask for documentation that foster kids aging out of the system or families staying down at the Twin City Mission actually had no income....his Chamber of Commerce insists there are no homeless!!!

Return to Top
#1518856 - 03/08/11 06:19 PM Re: Grants for Charitable Organizations - experience? MB Guy
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Someone sounds bitter...

Ya think? wink

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett