Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1512501 - 02/18/11 10:49 PM Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
If we had a situation where the customer could pick any attorney that they wanted for title services; however there might be one attorney or one title company that was unacceptable. Can a bank refuse to accept a particular provider? If so, should we have something in our shopping list that states that the provider must be acceptable to the bank?

Return to Top
RESPA
#1512538 - 02/19/11 05:45 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable SMQ, CRCM
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Guess I don't understand how an attorney could be unacceptable. What criteria do you use to determine that?

I seem to remember something about acceptability to the bank somewhere. I'll have to go digging for it on Tuesday at work.

Return to Top
#1512567 - 02/20/11 06:56 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable Truffle Royale
David Dickinson Online
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I absolutely believe you can refuse to accept some providers and I've seen it. I don't think you want to put "We will not accept . . . ." in your provider list. If you're going to let the customer shop, let them. If they choose an "unacceptable" provider, then advise the borrower as such.

You're other alternative is to issue a list of providers you will accept and tell them they must choose from a provider on the list. This is a addressed in a FAQ.

Return to Top
#1512884 - 02/22/11 04:50 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable David Dickinson
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Yes, you can have a "do not do business with" list. We have attorney's that aren't good with RE loans...lots of attorney's specialize in other areas, but may be friends with "Jane Doe" borrower. We let them choose, but we have the say so on the choice being acceptable or not.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1513233 - 02/22/11 10:24 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable RR Joker
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Thanks for all the responses.

Return to Top
#1513276 - 02/23/11 11:56 AM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable SMQ, CRCM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You can veto an attorney if they are going to be performing work on behalf of or representing the bank. The bank could not veto an attorney that was purely representing the borrower.

Return to Top
#1513407 - 02/23/11 03:55 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable rlcarey
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Randy, I agree with you if the attorney is representing the borrowers at the closing. But if the attorney is doing the title work, why couldn't the bank veto it?

Return to Top
#1513412 - 02/23/11 03:57 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable Truffle Royale
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It can..I think that's what Randy is saying also.

A borrower-representative that simply sits in on the closing to represent the borrower isn't the issue...it's the attorney who will handle the title services that is the issue on approved or not approved.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1514163 - 02/24/11 05:17 PM Re: Shopping for title services, provider unacceptable RR Joker
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
You guys rock, thanks! smile

Our issue is one title company that we will not accept. So far we have let customer choose attorney and if they use this company, then we ask them to select another title co. Most attorneys have been able to accommodate rather easily.

Return to Top

Moderator:  QCL