Hey now, don't start on Zeppelin....

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#151318 - 01/20/04 10:06 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Loanshark Offline
New Poster
Loanshark
NC
I agree that the experience is with the Pats, but this Panther team is very similar to the 2001 Patriots.
1.Both had losing records the year before (5-11 &7-9).
2.Neither QB began the year as the starter (Bledsoe & Peete were).
3.Both had a strong defense and good running game.
4.Both went 11-5 in the regular season.
5.Both won the conference championship in Pennsyvania (NE upset the Steelers).
6.Both opponents won the Super Bowl 2 seasons ago (Rams won in 99).
7.Both opponents were 16-2 going in to the Super Bowl.

I think it will be a great game.

Return to Top
#151319 - 01/20/04 10:12 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

I agree that the experience is with the Pats, but this Panther team is very similar to the 2001 Patriots.
1.Both had losing records the year before (5-11 &7-9).
2.Neither QB began the year as the starter (Bledsoe & Peete were).
3.Both had a strong defense and good running game.
4.Both went 11-5 in the regular season.
5.Both won the conference championship in Pennsyvania (NE upset the Steelers).
6.Both opponents won the Super Bowl 2 seasons ago (Rams won in 99).
7.Both opponents were 16-2 going in to the Super Bowl.

I think it will be a great game.

All true. But these Patriots are not the 2001 Rams. You don't have to convince me that miracles can happen. The 2001 season convinced me of that. And a Panther win this year would be just as miraculous as the Patriots win over the Rams was.

Go Patriots!

Return to Top
#151320 - 01/20/04 10:18 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Now look at whose not giving respect.....contrary to Mgic Banker's beliefs, these two teams are pretty evenly matched. It really could go either way with the only surprise being a blowout by either one.

Return to Top
#151321 - 01/20/04 10:28 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Here's how I feel about the Pats' experience. Two years ago, the Pats were the underdogs. Now, the Panthers are the underdogs. I firmly believe that the Pats understand the mindset that the Panthers will have going into this game. That will result in a more focused Pats team.

The other thing is this. It's not like the Panthers don't have people with Super Bowl experience. The head man, John Fox, was defensive coordinator for the Giants in their 2001 appearance.

Return to Top
#151322 - 01/20/04 11:29 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Anonymous
Unregistered

Could anything be worse than living in New England during some of the coldest days on record...yep..living in New England and NOT being a Pats fan! Go Panthers!

Return to Top
#151323 - 01/21/04 01:45 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Now look at whose not giving respect.....contrary to Mgic Banker's beliefs, these two teams are pretty evenly matched. It really could go either way with the only surprise being a blowout by either one.

Point taken. The Patriots really have not blown anyone out this year, so no reason to think this game will be any different. The Panthers do have a good team and have made all the parts work together very well.

Go Patriots!

Return to Top
#151324 - 01/21/04 02:23 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Quote:

Quote:

Point taken. The Patriots really have not blown anyone out this year, so no reason to think this game will be any different. The Panthers do have a good team and have made all the parts work together very well.

Go Patriots!

BTW, I am still picking the Pats. Go AFC!!

Return to Top
#151325 - 01/22/04 12:41 AM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The Panthers played very physical ball. They had determination and desire. Not that Philly didn't want to win, but the Panthers wanted it more. The Pats need to be prepared.

On a lighter note:
A guy named Bob receives a free ticket to the Super Bowl from his company. Unfortunately, when Bob arrives at the stadium he realizes the seat is in the last row in the corner of the stadium - he's closer to the Goodyear blimp than the field.

About halfway through the first quarter, Bob notices an empty seat 10 rows off the field, right on the 50 yard line. He decides to take a chance and makes his way through the stadium and around the security guards to the empty seat.

As he sits down, he asks the gentleman sitting next to him, "Excuse me, is anyone sitting here?" The man says no.

Now, very excited to be in such a great seat for the game, Bob again inquires of the man next to him, "This is incredible! Who in their right mind would have a seat like this at the Super Bowl and not use it?"

The man replies, "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me, I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Super Bowl we haven't been at together since we got married in 1967."

"Well, that's really sad," says Bob, "but still, couldn't you find someone to take the seat? A relative or close friend?"

"No," the man replies, "they're all at the funeral.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#151326 - 01/22/04 12:59 AM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Some notable quotes:

From John Fox after today's team practice:
On what he told the players to expect at the Super Bowl:
The further you go, the bigger the game gets on the outside. The game is going to be answered inside that team room on both sides and not to get caught up in it. Whoever executes well is going to win. It is a business trip. It is an away game in Houston. There will be plenty of time to celebrate after the Super Bowl.

On treating the Super Bowl just like any other game:
It is a football game. It is for the world championship. It is a big game. We played a big game last week. We played a big game the week before that. If you lose at this point, it is over. There is only going to be one winner, so you want to make sure all of your focus is not on all this (media) but on all that (game).

From Brentson Buckner who has been there before - Super Bowl XXX:
"I learned that I'm not going to the Super Bowl. I am the Super Bowl," said Buckner. "By that, I mean that I'm not part of the 'in' crowd. My first time, I wanted to go to all the parties. I wanted to meet people. This is the Super Bowl. That's what you hear about.

"But you have to realize that you can't be a fan. You've got a game to play. You're the reason people are coming there. That's what I have expressed to the guys who haven't been there. You're not there for the parties. You're there to win the game and win. When you win, you can go to all the parties you want to after that."

A quote from me:
"I believe in miracles - Go Panthers! "

Return to Top
#151327 - 01/22/04 01:07 AM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Alas, I will not have a seat at the Super Bowl. We received our "regret" letter this week thus dashing my life-long dream. A regret letter thanks you for your support of the Panthers, but informs you that unfortunately your name was not drawn from the lottery of PSLs. Guess I'll keep entering that contest on AOL.

Go Panthers!

Return to Top
#151328 - 01/22/04 01:57 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

they are still meaningless and pretentious.

Pretentious, perhaps. But no more so than Rocky, or Led Zeppelin!

The Roman numerals on Rocky or Led Zep meaningless? How would you like to go to the video store to rent Rocky and come away with Rocky V? Without that Roman numeral, you take your chances on seeing either a great movie or a real loser!

The Super Bowl on the other hand.... Does anyone really remember (without looking it up) who played in Super Bowl XIX or let's make it easier--how about Super Bowl X or Super Bowl XXIV? No, that's because these numbers are useless. They should just call it Super Bowl 2004. But I guess that does not sound as good when that overdramatic voiceover announcer reads the intro to the highlights video.

Return to Top
#151329 - 01/22/04 02:07 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
[quoteThe Super Bowl on the other hand.... Does anyone really remember (without looking it up) who played in Super Bowl XIX or let's make it easier--how about Super Bowl X or Super Bowl XXIV? No, that's because these numbers are useless. They should just call it Super Bowl 2004. But I guess that does not sound as good when that overdramatic voiceover announcer reads the intro to the highlights video.

Good idea Z, it would much easier to adveriste Superbowl 2004, 2005, etc!

Return to Top
#151330 - 01/22/04 02:26 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

The Super Bowl on the other hand.... Does anyone really remember (without looking it up) who played in Super Bowl XIX or let's make it easier--how about Super Bowl X or Super Bowl XXIV? No, that's because these numbers are useless. They should just call it Super Bowl 2004. But I guess that does not sound as good when that overdramatic voiceover announcer reads the intro to the highlights video.

I have to tell you guys that my when my husband was the auditor for a resort hotel for 10 years, there is a GOOD reason that they called him Nit-Pick!!! He could tell you, with no reference material whatsoever, who played in each of those games, who won, probably who the MVP was, and ton and tons of other "useless" info. I swear, if anyone knows where he can put his football knowledge to use, please let me know.....Sorry for the semi-rant, it just kills me to listen to him tell these stats to people, and wonder why he doesn't remember to take out the trash....

Then again, he couldn't tell you who Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham are, but he's heard of Zeppelin.... I guess there are 2 of us in the house with a head for "useless info"!!!!

Return to Top
#151331 - 01/22/04 02:41 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Sorry Elena--I know who Plant and Page are, but that's the extent of it. Maybe your husband could be an analyst? I mean Boomer Esiason is mostly useless and I honestly think that John Madden passes away two or three years ago, so there should be a vacancy there!

Return to Top
#151332 - 01/22/04 02:48 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

they are still meaningless and pretentious.

Pretentious, perhaps. But no more so than Rocky, or Led Zeppelin!

The Roman numerals on Rocky or Led Zep meaningless?

I didn't say that the Roman numerals were meaningless - you did! I said they perhaps were pretentious.

I disagreed with your original post in calling it meaningless. To co-opt your argument - how would you like discussing the Super Bowl MVP with someone only to realize you meant Super Bowl XXIV MVP Joe Montana while your friend meant Super Bowl XXXIII MVP John Elway?!

Return to Top
#151333 - 01/22/04 02:51 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Sorry Elena--I know who Plant and Page are, but that's the extent of it. Maybe your husband could be an analyst? I mean Boomer Esiason is mostly useless and I honestly think that John Madden passes away two or three years ago, so there should be a vacancy there!

LOLOL Oh Jeremy, that's a hoot! If only Larry was in the right place at the right time, I know he could blow those guys out of the water!

Return to Top
#151334 - 01/23/04 06:52 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
You're not that far from Norman, are you? How about some high school games to get the chords warmed up?

Return to Top
#151335 - 01/28/04 03:07 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Ok, this is a site I like to go to for college predictions. Not sure of their track record on the pros, but they make several good points about both teams in this prediction.

Super Bowl Prediction

As far as my prediction is concerned, I am not going to make one. I will probably pull for the Panthers, because they are the local team, but if the Pats win, I won't be crying. Both teams have played hard and have earned the right to be in the game.

Both teams have great defensive units, but I think most everyone agrees that Belichick is the defensive master in this game. His team has pitched two or three shutouts this year, and I think that he is going to put it on the Panthers defensively.

Of course, if the Panthers are leading in the fourth quarter, I think they win the game. The reason I say that is that the Panthers have the edge in the running game. They have an inside runner and an outside runner in their backfield, so if it comes to a point where Carolina has a lead and goes into ball control offense, I think they will be able to run out the clock. Their defense, though, has to stay strong through four quarters. Against the Eagles, they had about a five minut period where things began to look a little weak. They can't afford to do that here.

I think the game comes down to one or two plays. A turnover, a dropped pass, something. Someone will take a two second mental vacation and that will be it. The only question is, who will it be?

Return to Top
#151336 - 01/28/04 03:27 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I think the game comes down to one or two plays. A turnover, a dropped pass, something.

A missed field goal.

Return to Top
#151337 - 01/28/04 03:34 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
DawgFan, I like the prediction at your link.

Everyone discounts New England's running game, but Antowain Smith had 100 yards rushing against Indianapolis. New England runs enough to keep other defenses honest. That's not the strength of their offense, but it is not an insurmountable weakness either.

Everyone is also talking about the kind of rushing game Stephen Davis is going to have. Keep in mind that New England has played some of the top running backs in the league this season. The list includes Ricky Davis (twice), Edgerrin James (twice), Duce McAlister, Eddie George (twice), Curtis Martin, and Clinton Portis. Only Portis rushed for over 100 yards against the Patriots, and that was due in part to the fact that both Ted Washington and Richard Seymour, two key factors in the Patriots rush defense, missed that game with injuries. I don't expect Davis to fare much better than these other guys. Which then forces Jake Delhomme to go to the air where he is a lot less comfortable (remember he only threw 14 times against Philly) and more prone to a mistake given the Pats outstanding secondary. I think this will create turnovers and will be the single biggest key to the game.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot.... Go Patriots!

Return to Top
#151338 - 01/28/04 03:58 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Delhomme may have to go to the air, but remember the other thing about the Panthers running game. It's two headed. Clearly Stephen Davis is the biggest rushing threat, but Foster is not a slouch. That gives the Panthers the opportunity to change the pace and the look of their running game. I agree, with you though, Magic. The last thing the Panthers need to do is tell Delhomme to win the game for them. Delhomme is not Manning or McNair, but then again, some of the Super Bowl winners at QB over the past few years include guys like Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson.

By the way, Jac, a missed field goal is highly probable. I think Kasay is the more likely of the two to miss a field goal, but Vinateri may not know what to do with no snow on the ground.

Return to Top
#151339 - 01/28/04 04:05 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

By the way, Jac, a missed field goal is highly probable. I think Kasay is the more likely of the two to miss a field goal, but Vinateri may not know what to do with no snow on the ground.

I agree. Overall, I expect the game to be more of a kickers' battle than anything else. Good defense on both sides will amount to turnovers (and good field position,) but few touchdowns. I expect Carolina to win the touchdown war, because of their edge in the running game, but the Patriots will still come out on top with superior kicking.
My Prediction:
New England: 19
Carolina: 17

Return to Top
#151340 - 01/28/04 04:37 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

My Prediction:
New England: 19

New England: 20

2 TD's each, 3 point play in OT by NE

Then again, what do I know - I don't even know how many players there are in a team!!

Return to Top
#151341 - 01/28/04 04:53 PM Re: NFL - Super Bowl XXXVIII
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
NE--24
Carolina--20

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3