Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1517685 - 03/04/11 04:51 PM BOL Threads
JUST CALL ME CRA Offline
100 Club
SOMEWHERE
I love BOL. I think it would be hard to do my job without it. But I wonder if I am missing something. When I try to do a search on a topic in the threads, it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to what it brings up. I sometimes read something and then later want to go back and find it and the only way I ever find it is to go back through all the threads in that forum. I wish there was an easier way to find questions and answers on certain topics.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1517708 - 03/04/11 05:10 PM Re: BOL Threads JUST CALL ME CRA
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
You can mark a top in your Watch List.

To search, I never use BOLs search engine, it is terrible. I use the advance search features of Google to find items.

Return to Top
#1517709 - 03/04/11 05:11 PM Re: BOL Threads DD Regs
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Oh, and I agree, my job would be MUCH MUCH harder without my BOL friends.

Return to Top
#1517752 - 03/04/11 05:47 PM Re: BOL Threads DD Regs
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I actually do not think the search feature are all that bad. Just be sure to always use the 'advanced' search option, not just the dropdown box, and be sure to select the forurms yuou are most inclined to find your answer. Also, be sure to use good search terms and don't be too general.

i.e. if looking for information on the validity of a change of circumstance based on an appraisal, don't do a search on "appraisal", but instead search the RESPA thread with the criteria "+change +appraisal", or something that will assist in targeting in on key words.

I actually find it to be pretty robust considering the volume of posts out there. Also keep in mind, if you feel you are getting a lot of repetitive garbage, it is usually due to the fact that people are failing to spend the time to learn how to use the search engine, and are simply reposting the same questions time after time again, only to get the same responses that our fellow users have already posted before.

Return to Top
#1517761 - 03/04/11 05:57 PM Re: BOL Threads #Just Jay
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I agree JJ. Very well put.

Return to Top
#1518044 - 03/05/11 03:08 AM Re: BOL Threads TB 12
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I have tried the advanced search, all I know is that I have searched words and got absolutely no response, when I know the thread or subject is out there. crazy

Fortunately, some one put me onto the Google advanced search idea, So I use Google and it works better for me. smile

Return to Top
#1518045 - 03/05/11 03:23 AM Re: BOL Threads DD Regs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
under advanced search be sure to check the box that shows you part of the thread. Then you don't have to open everyone to see if it'll help you or not.

Also, if you have an inkling who might respond, put their name in the poster box. I'll have to try the google search sometime so I have a back up when BOL doesn't work.

Return to Top
#1518140 - 03/07/11 02:47 PM Re: BOL Threads Truffle Royale
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I always use the advanced search rather than just putting something in the search box. That way you can pick a thread category and choose how far back you want to search.
I think it was Dan that once suggested using "" around the phrase you were searching as well.

Return to Top
#1518400 - 03/07/11 08:36 PM Re: BOL Threads Mrs. Rizzo
villenbe Offline
Under the General Discussion Forum, there is a "How to perform a Search" thread stickied. It is very helpful and explains how to use the search function correctly.

Return to Top
#1518463 - 03/07/11 09:44 PM Re: BOL Threads villenbe
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I rarely have a problem with the advanced search feature on BOL.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1518471 - 03/07/11 10:00 PM Re: BOL Threads RR Joker
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
OK, so I am "Special", it doesn't work for me. I have used the advanced and followed the instruction from the General Discussion thread. But I find it seldom if ever gets the results I need fast enough. Google works for me. smile

Return to Top
#1518679 - 03/08/11 03:32 PM Re: BOL Threads DD Regs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
The advantage of Google is that you can easily search the entire BOL web site.

If you begin your search with: site:bankersonline.com your search will be limited to the bankersonline.com domain.

Here is an example:

site:bankersonline.com "RESPA"

Return to Top