Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1520736 - 03/11/11 05:31 PM Rate Disclosure - On Line System
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
We don't display loan rates on our on-line system.....but want to. Right now, when a customer views the balance of a loan or loans on line, the customer cannot see the current rate on his/her loan(s). So if the customer wants to know, he/she has to phone the bank. Is there any guidance or rules with respect to on-line systems? Can we just display the current loan rate? Do we also have to disclose whether the displayed rate is fixed or variable?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1520885 - 03/11/11 08:01 PM Re: Rate Disclosure - On Line System swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Maybe I wasn't clear with what I'm asking. Our customers can view all of their accounts via our on-line system and the system is capable of also displaying account details such as savings account rates. For loans, management thinks we cannot display the loan rate because there's no way to also show if the loan is a variable rate loan....thus the displayed rate might change from week to week. Is it OK to simply display the current loan rate within the account details. There would be no display of the initial APR because interest isn't computed using the APR.

Return to Top
#1520961 - 03/11/11 09:16 PM Re: Rate Disclosure - On Line System swiggles
Way Out West Offline
100 Club
Way Out West
San Francisco
This would not be considered "advertising," so I think you've got a lot more leeway in what you present. And in a non-advertising context, I don't believe you would be required to indicate whether a loan is fixed or variable, although I applaud your management for wanting to ensure customers aren't misled or confused.

Perhaps you could have some sort of generic message down at the bottom of the screen saying, "If you have a variable rate loan, the interest rate shown may be subject to change. Check your loan docs."

If that doesn't fly, you should at least be able to do something by loan product; e.g., all your HELOCs and all your credit cards are variable rate, or all your vehicle loans and all your home equity loans are fixed?

Sounds too simple, but it works for me. Good luck.

Return to Top
#1520984 - 03/11/11 09:51 PM Re: Rate Disclosure - On Line System Way Out West
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Thanks for your opinion, Way Out West. I was beginning to think that my bank is the only bank with an on-line banking system! wink Our problem is that we can turn the rate on or off globally, but not by product....and the software won't allow the display of a wordy message. However, I did get them to say that they think they can change the word "rate" to "current rate." I would be happy with that! grin

Return to Top
#1521122 - 03/14/11 01:28 PM Re: Rate Disclosure - On Line System swiggles
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would have thought you wanted the opportunity to talk to the borrower and open the dialogue for another loan. But if your reasoning is one of disclosure, I don't know what rules would apply. As noted, it isn't advertising so you are not facing restrictions there. You have already made the complete disclosure once. It might be that you want some identifier such as current or original on the rate.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1521182 - 03/14/11 02:30 PM Re: Rate Disclosure - On Line System Andy_Z
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
The only additional thought is to remind your customer contact staff how to handle questions or complaints from depositors who don't understand the difference between the previously disclosed APY/APR and the simple rates in effect from time to time.

Return to Top
#1521216 - 03/14/11 03:08 PM Re: Rate Disclosure - On Line System Richard Insley
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Thanks everyone!!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z