Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1525054 - 03/22/11 03:31 PM Sarbanes Oaxley and Internal Auditing??
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
These questions are being asked by my Internal Control Auditor. I've been trying to research it, but I'm stuck....

1. When does the bank need to apply the Sarbanes Oaxley auditing procedures? (per# of stockholders or per # of Employees, or per size of bank etc.)?

2. Does the auditing need to be performed and certified by a certain degree (CPA etc) or does the Internal Control of the bank qualify?

3. Where can we get instruction (examples etc.) sheets of documentation required to cover the extra Sarbanes Oaxley? tasks?

I thank you in advance for any help we receive. smile

Return to Top
Audit
#1525118 - 03/22/11 04:24 PM Re: Sarbanes Oaxley and Internal Auditing?? ecrew,CRCM
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I would start here, and see where you fit in:

http://www.sec.gov/rules/final/33-8238.htm

Return to Top
#1525120 - 03/22/11 04:26 PM Re: Sarbanes Oaxley and Internal Auditing?? Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#1525181 - 03/22/11 05:17 PM Re: Sarbanes Oaxley and Internal Auditing?? Retired DQ
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Your internal control auditor is asking you at what point does SOX get implemented? Sounds like the internal auditor is a little behind the times on that one and should have that information already....from a professional standpoint. At least the basics....

Return to Top
#1525458 - 03/22/11 08:31 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley and Internal Auditing?? ecrew,CRCM
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
There's a lot to it - not as easy as 1, 2, 3. Who audits your financials? They should know all of this.

1) an entity is considered an accelerated filer as of 12/31 for the year in which they were in excess of $75 million in non-affiliated market capitalization as of 6/30 for that year.

To find public float:
Gross Number of shares outstanding (as of June 30)
-(minus) Insider Shares (as of June 30)
Multiplied by share price (as of June 30)

An accelerated filer is one that meets all of the following conditions as of the end of its fiscal year:

• The registrant’s common equity public float was $75 million or more as of the last business day of its most recently completed second fiscal quarter;
  • The registrant has been reporting under Section 13(a) or 15(d) of the 1934 Act for at least 12 months;
  • The registrant has previously filed at least one annual report; and
  • The registrant is not eligible to report under the small business issuer rules.

2) if you qualify as an Accelerated Filer - then you'll need need the auditor attestation on internal controls. You'll have to work with your auditor and see where they are comfortable.

Example: my auditors (A CPA Firm) are comfortable with most of my testing as an independent source, but they do conduct their own sampling of controls.

Return to Top
#1525564 - 03/23/11 11:49 AM Re: Sarbanes Oxley and Internal Auditing?? WonderWoman
CEK Offline
GA
This is the site I go to for answers regarding SOX related questions: http://pcaobus.org/Pages/default.aspx It is the Public Accounting Oversight Board or the PCAOB which is a nonprofit corporation established by Congress to oversee the audits of public companies in order to protect investors and the public interest by promoting informative, accurate, and independent audit reports. It sets the standards!

Contact me as follows:
Email: cknowles@ficsas.com
Phone: 770-403-3095

Return to Top
#1525580 - 03/23/11 12:44 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley and Internal Auditing?? CEK
A_G Offline
10K Club
You will also find a ton of information here:

http://www.aicpa.org/Pages/Default.aspx

The very first hit when I searched "Sarbanes" brought up a book called, "Sarbanes-Oxley and the New Internal Auditing Rules."

Return to Top
#1525614 - 03/23/11 01:24 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley and Internal Auditing?? A_G
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
We are a small banking and growing. The SOX is actually new to us.

I appreciate everybody's input and suggestions. smile

Return to Top
#1525646 - 03/23/11 01:43 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley and Internal Auditing?? ecrew,CRCM
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
You really should discuss with your external financial auditors. They must be in agreement with whatever process you develop.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1525751 - 03/23/11 02:50 PM Re: Sarbanes Oxley and Internal Auditing?? Kathleen O. Blanchard
ecrew,CRCM Offline
100 Club
ecrew,CRCM
Fl
I believe that is what she is going to do. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z