Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1528109 - 03/29/11 02:26 PM CIP pn Authorized Signers
Halu Offline
New Poster
In 2007 65% of those surveyed at a BOL Top Gun conference reported that they DO CIP authorized signers. That would seem to be consistent with recent FinCEN guidance to obtain beneficial ownership info. What are current statistics, how many institutions currently CIP authorized signers?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1528117 - 03/29/11 02:32 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I am unclear as to how being an authorized signer for a business entity equates to having beneficial ownership in that business entity. Did FinCEN guidance suggest that? I obviously need to back up and do some reading. Can you provide the cite? THANKS.

That being said, we perform a certain level of due diligence on authorized signers but it does not rise to the level of full CIP.

Return to Top
#1528125 - 03/29/11 02:47 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers BrendaC
Halu Offline
New Poster
Brenda,
I'm referring to the 2010 FinCEN/FFIEC guidance on benficial ownership. They suggest establishing CDD procedures reasonably designed to id & verify beneficial owners, described in part as individuals who have a level of control over funds in the account which enables them to directly or indirectly manage or direct the account. A signer is not necessarily an owner, but until Senator Levin's Incorporation Transparency Act, or a similar one is passed, I am arguing that this will help identify persons able to transfer, therefore control, funds in the account

Return to Top
#1528181 - 03/29/11 03:44 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
Halu Offline
New Poster
Any more banks willing to say whether they CIP authorized signers? I'm trying to convince senior management that this is a best practice

Return to Top
#1528194 - 03/29/11 03:52 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
Whatup Offline
Gold Star
We do and always have done CIP on all account signers. The way we look at it, the account signers are really the ones conducting the business

Return to Top
#1528197 - 03/29/11 03:53 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would no more equate an authorized signer on an entity account as an owner/comtroller of the funds anymore than I would equate a teller that signs a cashier's check an owner/controller of the bank.

Return to Top
#1528198 - 03/29/11 03:53 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

We do not do full fledged CIP on authorized signers. We do ask for identification so we can ensure they are who the resolution has authorized to act on the company's behalf.

Return to Top
#1528276 - 03/29/11 05:21 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
Our procedures are to get CIP information on signers. This prevents confusion in the New Accounts area.

Since it is procedure, it can be waived by an Officer on a case by case basis (But they are still required to gather "enough information to identify the customer" - this could be a secret code word, DL, something)

Our Policy follows the law, where getting CIP on an authorized signer is not required.

Return to Top
#1528414 - 03/29/11 07:09 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers WonderWoman
BC78a Offline
Gold Star
BC78a
New York
We CIP authorized signers of non-public companies.

Return to Top
#1528440 - 03/29/11 07:40 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers BC78a
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
We collect CIP on all authorized signers. It also makes it much easier to have all their information in the event a CTR is required.

Return to Top
#1528581 - 03/29/11 11:42 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The "proposed" CIP regulation required banks to identify all signatories, but there were so many bank complaints that the identification requirement was limited to "customers" in the final regulation. Ironically, most banks do identify all signatories because common sense, not the law, still requires it. What good does it do to know a corporation exists if you have no idea who the dude endorsing the check payable to the corporation is?

Regardless, as rlcarey suggests, there is no equation between authorized signers and beneficial owners. If there were, there would be no need for guidance that suggests banks should identify the beneficial owners of high risk accounts.

Return to Top
#1528640 - 03/30/11 12:48 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers ComplianceGurl, CRCM
banker1976 Offline
Gold Star
Mid-Atlantic
We CIP all authorized signers. We have had a few rare instances when a signer on a business entity does not want to provide their SSN; but we still confirm their identity otherwise. These instances are very infrequent.

Return to Top
#1528673 - 03/30/11 01:19 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers banker1976
Halu Offline
New Poster
In response to Ken and ricarey, I believe there is potential equation between authorized signers & beneficial owners; since corporate transparency is a huge issue, it is obvious that we currently have no reliable method for determining ownership. A start is identifying those individuals who can empty out the account with the stroke of a pen, which in many cases is in fact a beneficial owner.

Return to Top
#1528694 - 03/30/11 01:37 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
Juby Offline
100 Club
We also CIP all authorized signers, and it helps with BSA reporting as mentioned by BSA Rookie.

Return to Top
#1529204 - 03/30/11 11:34 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Juby
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"I believe there is potential equation between authorized signers & beneficial owners"

You must have went to a different school of math than I did. smile While I don't have a problem and didn't indicate that I have a problem with anyone that chooses to impose their CIP or some form of CIP on authorized signers, however it does nothing as far as determining beneficial ownership and should not be used as a proxy.

Return to Top
#1529823 - 03/31/11 07:03 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers rlcarey
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Consider that in some cases a clerk will be an authorized signer on an account. That sure as heck doesn't make him or her a beneficial owner of the corporation, even if s/he can empty the account if so moved.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1529975 - 03/31/11 09:07 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers John Burnett
Halu Offline
New Poster
The problem is that we currently have no method for distinguishing between authorized signers who are owners or clerks. It is safest to get ID on all signers

Return to Top
#1529984 - 03/31/11 09:17 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
We require customer due diligence on all executive officers and 25% or more owners (name, address, DOB, ID) for all relationships.

Return to Top
#1530043 - 04/01/11 12:14 AM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Halu
The problem is that we currently have no method for distinguishing between authorized signers who are owners or clerks. It is safest to get ID on all signers

Then you have a severe lack in your due diligence processes. Do you ask your customers that are opening the entity account for a list of owners? Do you review corporate documents to determine ownership capabilities? If all you are doing is CIPing signers, then I would say you are not doing appropriate due diligence.

You might want to review this document:

http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/pdf/fin-2010-g001.pdf

Return to Top
#1530415 - 04/01/11 04:23 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers rlcarey
Halu Offline
New Poster
Reviewing corporate documents is no panacea; to quote from the document you referenced-"...nominal account holders can enable individuals and business entities to conceal the identity of the true owner of assets or property derived from or associated with criminal activity. Moreover, criminals, money launderers, tax evaders, and terrorists may exploit the privacy and confidentiality surrounding some business entities, including shell companies and other vehicles designed to conceal the nature and purpose of illicit transactions and the identities of the persons associated with them. Consequently, identifying the beneficial owner(s) of some legal entities may be challenging, as the characteristics of these entities often effectively shield the legal identity of the owner."

Return to Top
#1530509 - 04/01/11 05:00 PM Re: CIP pn Authorized Signers Halu
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Consequently, identifying the beneficial owner(s) of some legal entities may be challenging, as the characteristics of these entities often effectively shield the legal identity of the owner.

Well that does about says it all. What most of my client do if faced with that type of dilemma is to send the customer down the road to the competitor and let them worry about it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z