Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#152843 - 01/22/04 11:38 PM Cashless Society Poll
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Will we have a cashless society by 2025?
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 01/22/04 05:00 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#152844 - 01/23/04 12:46 AM Re: Cashless Society Poll
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
There will always be people who don't want their funds traced, or for whatever reason will insist on using cash.

There is so much data already collected on (and information extracted from) debit/credit purchase records and money transfer records and grocery store club cards and everything else we sign up for... sometimes it's nice to be annonymous when you're buying an ice cream cone and not sticking to Atkins....

Do we really want the "Minority Report" targeted ads? We're getting close, as it is.

I used to have a customer (non-account holder) who would grudgingly come in to buy money orders for things he absolutely could not pay cash for -- and he paid for them in silver dollars. He didn't even trust paper currency.

We have an employee here whose fiancee won't keep their funds in a bank account, they keep cash in a safe at home. Kinda strange, but there it is.

People want their privacy. Some more than others, but the desire will always be there.

Return to Top
#152845 - 01/23/04 01:50 PM Re: Cashless Society Poll
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Unless forced upon all (like income tax or SSN's) there will always be segments of the population who do now want, or cannot afford to have an account. I'm sure parents would still pay cash allowances, and children would use that cash for candy, movies, clothes.

Many liability or responsibility laws would have to be re-written to allow a minor to open accounts and utilize transfer cards. This could create a new set of laws to allow printing for signatures (those younger than 2nd grade), lower ATM's so all could reach and wipe out most illegal workers, since they now need accounts and adequate documentation - per CIP.

Return to Top
#152846 - 01/23/04 02:38 PM Re: Cashless Society Poll
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I don't see my poker game taking debit cards anytime soon...

Return to Top
#152847 - 01/23/04 03:30 PM Re: Cashless Society Poll
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
We may at some point stop using cash as we understand it now, but there will be some form of substitute for anonymous transactions. Perhaps everyone will have an e-wallet and we can exchange e-currency directly. But probably not by 2025.

Return to Top
#152848 - 01/23/04 06:10 PM Re: Cashless Society Poll
K8T Offline
100 Club
K8T
I have fallen down the rabbit ...
I agree with John- we may have many substitutes- "legal tender" instead of the paper and coins we know as "cash".

I have seen some amazing poker games.. where many items are thrown into the pot.. rings...checks...clothing…deeds to land and houses..and I don't consider these "cash"

It could happen!

Return to Top
#152849 - 01/23/04 06:26 PM Re: Cashless Society Poll
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
That sounds too much like a "1984" prediction. It just didn't happen. Or, we could put it this way: Our US Army is "paperless". Those of you who have dealt with this on any level will understand the irony.

Return to Top
#152850 - 01/23/04 09:10 PM Re: Cashless Society Poll
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
What would be cool is a device that allows one person to transfer funds to another person that is standing next to them.

Also, one has to wonder about ATM's as less and less cash is used - perhaps they will be used as a charging station - to recharge your personal cash device, but that can probable be done remotely on a wireless basis.

Return to Top