Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1524633 - 03/21/11 05:26 PM Question re: Reg CC customer notification
Wonder Why? Offline
Question regarding the upcoming customer notification:

Is a statement message indicating the change from $100 to $200 acceptable (not sure how to word it yet)
OR
Does a copy of the whole Funds Availability Disclosure with the change highlighted have to be provided?

Always looking for ways to control costs on customer notifications so I am hoping to do statement messages.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1524658 - 03/21/11 05:46 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Wonder Why?
abbyauditor Offline
abbyauditor
texas
I asked our OCC Examiners this questions and they advised that banks are not required to notify the customers of the change since the change is in the customer's favor.

Return to Top
#1524668 - 03/21/11 05:56 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification abbyauditor
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Doesn't that directly contravene Reg CC, 229.18:

(e) Changes in policy. A bank shall send a notice to holders of consumer accounts at least 30 days before implementing a change to the bank's availability policy regarding such accounts, EXCEPT that a change that expedites the availability of funds may be disclosed not later than 30 days after implementation.

Return to Top
#1524670 - 03/21/11 05:58 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Doug Hendrickson
Y'all Comply Offline
100 Club
Y'all Comply
Land of Pears
I agree with Doug.

The commentary states:E. 229.18(e) Changes in Policy

2. Generally, a bank must send a notice at least 30 calendar days before implementing any change in its availability policy. If the change results in faster availability of deposits--for example, if the bank changes its availability for nonlocal checks from the fifth business day after deposit to the fourth business day after deposit--the bank need not send advance notice. The bank must, however, send notice of the change no later than 30 calendar days after the change is implemented.

FKA Jenabq

Return to Top
#1524753 - 03/21/11 07:27 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Y'all Comply
Wonder Why? Offline
In the Reg CC proposal that was just issued p. 19 specifically states that customer notification IS required for the change from $100 to $200.

Which brings me back to my original question----statement message or complete FA redisclosure w/change hilighted? I seem to recall something (???) about full FA redisclosure back when we had to notify customers that there were no longer non-local checks so FA timeframes were shortened and cannot locate the source now.

{of course the possibility exists that I may just be nuts and I never read that-I think a certain level of insanity is a prerequesite to work in Compliance:) )

Return to Top
#1524831 - 03/21/11 08:51 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Wonder Why?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:
of course the possibility exists that I may just be nuts and I never read that

The only possibility that I see here is that you are better informed than abby's OCC contact. Your customer does not need a "soup to nuts" disclosure. Your amendment simply needs to meet the general disclosure requirements: clear and conspicuous, in a form the consumer can keep, etc. Statement messages are perfect for this.

P.S. The only possible source for a statement that banks had to send a full disclosure when the check processing regions were consolidated would have been a forms vendor. wink

Return to Top
#1526291 - 03/24/11 01:43 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Elwood P. Dowd
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We are planning on doing a statement message. Our forms vendors try to "sell" me on doing a full disclosure mailing. They just want the money.

Return to Top
#1526459 - 03/24/11 03:41 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification ahkcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
You'll have your chance at the possibility of mailing new disclosures when they update the model forms as proposed. There is no point in doing it twice.

Return to Top
#1526569 - 03/24/11 05:49 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Wonder Why?
bluesky Offline
We will probably not send a customer notification on RegCC. This is definitely an issue up for debate, we'll see if the final rule specifically addresses the need for a customer notice. Since this is a Gov't initiated change and it's a positive impact, we don't think we need to mail anything to the customer. We'll wait and see.

Return to Top
#1526608 - 03/24/11 06:18 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification bluesky
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
The expectations for notifying customers of changes in availability seem to be pretty well defined in Reg CC. If it is not to their benefit, 30 days notice in advance of change; and if it is to their benefit (such as provides faster availability of funds) you can notice within 30 days of change. I'm not aware of any other options available under the regulation.

Return to Top
#1526937 - 03/25/11 12:49 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification BrendaC
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
bluesky, BrendaC is 100% correct. Read the regulation, you must provide notice within 30 days of the change (not in advance). You can take the action (or non-action) you described and not notify your customers at all, but you will not be in compliance.

Return to Top
#1526948 - 03/25/11 01:02 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification bluesky
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There is no room for debate on the issue of whether customers are entitled to notice of the increase from $100 to $200. Even if there were, they eliminated it when they rolled out the recent proposal:

Section 1086 of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2010 (Dodd-Frank Act) amends the EFA Act by increasing from $100 to $200 the amount of deposited funds that banks must make available for withdrawal by opening of business on the next day.30 The effective date of this provision of the act is the
“designated transfer date,” which the Secretary of the Treasury has determined to be July 21, 2011.31 This provision of the EFA Act is implemented in § 229.10(c)(1)(vii).

Additionally, the model disclosure forms set forth in current appendix C reflect the requirement that a bank must make $100 of the deposit available on the next business day. When the Dodd-Frank Act’s increase to $200 becomes effective, banks should ensure that their disclosures reflect the new funds-availability schedule and that customers are notified of the changes in policy in accordance with § 229.18(e).

Specifically, effective July 21, 2011, a bank basing its funds-availability disclosure on current model C-3, C-4, or C-5 must ensure that its disclosure indicates that the first $200(rather than $100) of a check deposit will be available on the next business day after the day of deposit

Return to Top
#1527036 - 03/25/11 02:34 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Elwood P. Dowd
bluesky Offline
Thank you for clarifying the requirement for notifying our customers about the Reg CC change. We will most likely use a statement message for this then, much cheaper than a separate mailing.

Return to Top
#1527269 - 03/25/11 07:02 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Elwood P. Dowd
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus

Additionally, the model disclosure forms set forth in current appendix C reflect the requirement that a bank must make $100 of the deposit available on the next business day. When the Dodd-Frank Act’s increase to $200 becomes effective, banks should ensure that their disclosures reflect the new funds-availability schedule and that customers are notified of the changes in policy in accordance with § 229.18(e).

So one wonders is notification will be required every five years if (when) this "minimum amount" is updated every 5 years after 12/31/11 to reflect inflation ????

Return to Top
#1527442 - 03/27/11 01:59 AM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Princess of Power
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
One can stop wondering. Unless the regulation is changed to eliminate the need to notify customers of improved availability, one will have to send out a notification when the adjustment is made. Maybe there won't be any more checks being deposited by then? (Somewhere between a fat chance and a slim one, methinks)
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1528867 - 03/30/11 04:07 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification John Burnett
sturner Offline
100 Club
Arkansas
Is anyone willing to share their ideas of a short statement message for this change? We are limited to a very small number of characters for statement messages, so was just curious what anyone had come up with. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1528890 - 03/30/11 04:45 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification sturner
xerx Offline
100 Club
xerx
I'm sorry for being dense. Does this mean by July 21st of THIS YEAR, we must make $200 next-day available where before it was only $100.

And that we must send out notification by August 21st of this year?

Return to Top
#1528903 - 03/30/11 05:06 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification xerx
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Yes.

Return to Top
#1528908 - 03/30/11 05:11 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification
xerx Offline
100 Club
xerx
Where should I look to find this requirement? (I feel dumb now.)

It doesn't appear to be incorporated into Regulation CC yet.

And it's not listed on this site: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/bank-reso...ry-calendar.cfm

Return to Top
#1528915 - 03/30/11 05:23 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification xerx
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Go below and look at 229.18(e)for the notification requirements and 229.10(c)1(vii) for $100.00aavailability (which will change to $200.00 on July 21, 2011 see page 6 here http://www.bankersonline.com/topstory/76fedreg/76FR16862.pdf)

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/229/229.html

Last edited by Georgia Plum; 03/30/11 05:42 PM.
Return to Top
#1528927 - 03/30/11 05:42 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification xerx
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: xerx
I'm sorry for being dense. Does this mean by July 21st of THIS YEAR, we must make $200 next-day available where before it was only $100.

And that we must send out notification by August 21st of this year?

Yes and No.

You are correct that the deadline make the $200 available is July 21st.

You are incorrect in your August 21st deadline for notice. Notice must be given within 30 days of when you make the change, so if you make your change prior to July 21st, you will need to notify sooner than August 21st. Also, even if you make the change on July 21st, you will still need to notify prior to August 21st as July has 31 days, so August 21st would actually be 31 days out -- also, August 21st is a Sunday, which you are probably not working, kicking the notice back to the 22nd, 32 days later.

Return to Top
#1528944 - 03/30/11 05:59 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Bob The Banker
xerx Offline
100 Club
xerx
Thank you both. When I last read about this change, I assumed they would update Regulation CC before I was required to make changes.

Bob-Nice analysis.

Return to Top
#1529590 - 03/31/11 04:46 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification xerx
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I have a circumstance that I would like some opinions on. Our funds availability policy states that we will make funds from your deposit available to you on the next business day after we receive your deposit(for checks). This is adhered to on the teller line, however our ATM's give immediate credit. I feel that our ATM practice should be the same as our teller line. Here's the problem, because our ATM availability does not follow our disclosure and there are people who have figured it out, would we have to disclose 30 days in advance to all customers if we were to change it?
Last edited by soccer; 03/31/11 04:47 PM.

Return to Top
#1529607 - 03/31/11 04:58 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification Soccer
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I vote yes. Your practice has created an expectation in the minds of your customers, and justifiably so. They should be provided 30 days notice of a change that is not to their benefit.

Return to Top
#1529616 - 03/31/11 05:08 PM Re: Question re: Reg CC customer notification BrendaC
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Would a statement message do the trick?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  John Burnett