Learn More - Click Here!

Page 13 of 47 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47
Thread Options
#1533192 - 04/08/11 01:32 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Snow Bunny
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Hunny, aside from the subject matter (unfortunate as it is it definitely defines her character and plays out in future text), how did you like the book?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1533196 - 04/08/11 01:48 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Snow Bunny
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Thanks for the suggestions!

Return to Top
#1533383 - 04/08/11 04:51 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? DEL
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I am reading the 3rd book in the Body Farm series by Jefferson Bass. I came across one on the best seller list and went back to find the 1st in the series. I guess I would say they are pretty good, if you like forensic thrillers, some areas are a little slow but the characters are quite funny. You can almost see the 2 different writers in the books.

Return to Top
#1533402 - 04/08/11 05:08 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? kms
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Tink, once I got past the intros on all the Vangers, and then 'the stuff' I had a hard time putting it down. Salander is quite something. Someone just told me to immediately pick up #2 and that it starts where this one leaves off.

Return to Top
#1533514 - 04/08/11 07:15 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Snow Bunny
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
The Girl Who Played With Fire is Book 2, and it grips you better than the first book. My advice? DEFINITELY read it, but be sure to have "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (book 3) right there when you finish book 2, because you will immediately want to pick up book three, as it picks up immediately where 2 leaves off.

Return to Top
#1533518 - 04/08/11 07:24 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? TINKerBell
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
We have #2 but not #3.

I loved the part with the guardian.

smirk

Return to Top
#1533526 - 04/08/11 07:31 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? E.E.G.B
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Originally Posted By: KFitz
Just finished "The Confession" by John Grisham. I really like Grisham's first books, but it seems like he put no effort at all into this one. The characters are cardboard cut-outs, the plot is predicatable, and the book sputters to a "I need to hurry up and get this to the publisher" ending. Really an amateurish novel.

I totally agree with you! I gave up reading him somewhere along about The Testament. I've tried one or two since then ("The Appeal"- HORRIBLE) and he has just gotten so 'phone it in'. Which is too bad, because I LOVED his original stuff like "The Firm" and "Pelican Brief" and the one about the death penalty.

Oh and if you haven't tried David Baldacci yet, you should - he's a lot like good Grisham. Earlier books more so than the last couple of years, but definitely worth a read.

A really good Grisham book is "The Painted House." Completely unlike his other stuff. About growing up poor in rural Arkansas.

Return to Top
#1533566 - 04/08/11 07:56 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? TINKerBell
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: TinkerBell
The Girl Who Played With Fire is Book 2, and it grips you better than the first book. My advice? DEFINITELY read it, but be sure to have "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (book 3) right there when you finish book 2, because you will immediately want to pick up book three, as it picks up immediately where 2 leaves off.

Excellent advice! I bought the first 2 in paperback, then got a Kindle and bought #3 on that. I loaned #1 and 2 to my brother in law, and I thought he would have a fit when he found out he couldn't borrow #3!

Return to Top
#1533574 - 04/08/11 08:15 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? MyBrainHurts
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Originally Posted By: E.G.B.
Just finished "The Confession" by John Grisham. I really like Grisham's first books, but it seems like he put no effort at all into this one. The characters are cardboard cut-outs, the plot is predicatable, and the book sputters to a "I need to hurry up and get this to the publisher" ending. Really an amateurish novel.

I totally agree with you! I gave up reading him somewhere along about The Testament. I've tried one or two since then ("The Appeal"- HORRIBLE) and he has just gotten so 'phone it in'. Which is too bad, because I LOVED his original stuff like "The Firm" and "Pelican Brief" and the one about the death penalty.

Oh and if you haven't tried David Baldacci yet, you should - he's a lot like good Grisham. Earlier books more so than the last couple of years, but definitely worth a read.

A really good Grisham book is "The Painted House." Completely unlike his other stuff. About growing up poor in rural Arkansas.

I echo that sentiment - it is a beautiful book (but different genre entirely.)

Return to Top
#1533900 - 04/11/11 04:28 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? DEL
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Listening to Mockingjay and almost finished with my re-read of Game of Thrones (6 days!!!)

Return to Top
#1533905 - 04/11/11 04:34 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? califgirl
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: califgirl

Excellent advice! I bought the first 2 in paperback, then got a Kindle and bought #3 on that. I loaned #1 and 2 to my brother in law, and I thought he would have a fit when he found out he couldn't borrow #3!

I started #2 and I am already engrossed. We need to get #3.

Califgirl - I heard the Kindle is going to/or has come out with a way to lend books to friends and family.

Return to Top
#1533906 - 04/11/11 04:35 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? E.E.G.B
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Trying to decide between starting The Help by Kathryn Stockett or The Trouble with Harry by Katie MacAlister.

Return to Top
#1533909 - 04/11/11 04:37 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
The Help is great! Read it in 2 days.

Return to Top
#1533913 - 04/11/11 04:41 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Snow Bunny
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: Hunny Bunny
Originally Posted By: califgirl

I started #2 and I am already engrossed. We need to get #3.

Califgirl - I heard the Kindle is going to/or has come out with a way to lend books to friends and family.

Yes, there is a way now. But he doesn't have a Kindle - too bad for him! wink

Return to Top
#1533952 - 04/11/11 05:39 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Snow Bunny
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Hunny Bunny
The Help is great! Read it in 2 days.

I think I'm going to try and start it tonight!

Return to Top
#1533966 - 04/11/11 05:59 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I started "Vanish" by Tess Gerritsen at lunch today. Pretty good so far, and a fairly fast read. I got 91 pages read in an hour, less time for eating and phone calls. smile

Return to Top
#1534255 - 04/12/11 02:09 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Becca
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
If you like the "Greater Tuna" type of plays, then you'll love the Mossy Creek Hometown series - good easy read about very small town GA life, with contributions by a number of authors.

Return to Top
#1534304 - 04/12/11 03:01 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Phoenix
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
A little over halfway through The Help. Had a hard time putting it down last night so I could go to bed.

Return to Top
#1534641 - 04/12/11 08:21 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? RR Sarah
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
American Assassin by Vince Flynn

Return to Top
#1535273 - 04/13/11 08:43 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? thomasj
Op_Lady28 Offline
New Poster
Op_Lady28
Minnesota
Originally Posted By: thomasj
When I picked my son up last night he was so excited and said "Dad you have to take me to Wal-Mart, I want to buy a book" I nearly fainted because he has never shown an interest in reading. He got a book from the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series and loves it. It is simple and crude - just the thing to get an 8 year old to start reading. Lol.

My son loved, those, too. He also loved the "Big Nate" books by Lincoln Pierce. Read one of them in one day! Love when kids share our passion in reading!

Return to Top
#1535294 - 04/13/11 09:04 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Op_Lady28
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Finished Mockingjay! That was a really good series, I enjoyed them. I know a lot of people didn't like the 3rd book but I thought it fit well with the others and wrapped up the story pretty well.

Return to Top
#1535363 - 04/14/11 12:02 AM Re: What are you Reading 2011? E.E.G.B
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Kindle does have a way to lend books, it is called lendle.com I have borrowed and loan books. Some authors or maybe it is the publishers do not allow their books to be loan but for all you Stephanie Plum fans, the entire series is available (or those that have a kindle and want to read them). I read something yesterday about another book loaning program but I only skimmed the article. I will post the details once I reread the article.

Return to Top
#1535365 - 04/14/11 12:05 AM Re: What are you Reading 2011? kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Ok it is not a lending program, it is a site where you can get free e-books for kindle, nook, computer etc. You can also get audio books too. Here is the link: Enjoy!!!
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Return to Top
#1535398 - 04/14/11 10:24 AM Re: What are you Reading 2011? kms
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
The Last Child, by John Hart

Return to Top
#1536014 - 04/15/11 02:04 PM Re: What are you Reading 2011? Retired DQ
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
another biographical novel of a fascinating life: Annie Chambers, by Lenore Carroll. This novel takes a first person viewpoint of someone who had passed away decades ago, so the author had to develop that imaginary monologue from other research.

Return to Top
Page 13 of 47 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47