Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1465226 - 11/08/10 02:53 PM What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC?
TEL Offline
100 Club
We would like to freeze/close an unsecured overdraft line of credit (reg. Z) attached to a checking account due to default of another loan. What notifications (reg. Z and AA) need to be sent. (If you have the reg. reference that would be very helpful).

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1465258 - 11/08/10 03:24 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? TEL
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A Reg. B adverse action notice.

Return to Top
#1465271 - 11/08/10 03:33 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? rlcarey
TEL Offline
100 Club
I have been informed that the note contains a Termination clause that says that either party can terminate the line by giving written notice to the other. If we just send the written notice terminating the line - as per the termination clause - is that considered AA? - Thanks.

Return to Top
#1465277 - 11/08/10 03:38 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? TEL
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Sec. 202.9 Notifications

(a) Notification of action taken, ECOA notice, and statement of specific reasons —(1) When notification is required. A creditor shall notify an applicant of action taken within:

(iii) 30 days after taking adverse action on an existing account; or

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1465339 - 11/08/10 04:44 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? waldensouth
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
as per the termination clause - is that considered AA?

Yes. You're contract language can't change or substitute for the definition of adverse action found in 202.2.

And you cannot rely on not having to send the AAN because of delinquency. From your post the account you are taking adverse action on is not delinquent.

Return to Top
#1531219 - 04/04/11 06:49 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? Dan Persfull
pacar Offline
Gold Star
Resurrecting this discussion, as it's the closest thing I can find to my situation when doing a search ...

Here's my situation: On a Non-RE LOC (an overdraft line that's under Reg Z), we offer a lower interest rate and a higher line amount to employees. When the employee leaves our employment, we increase the rate and decrease the line amount to what we typically assign to non-employees.

In this situation, an addendum to the LOC agreement is in place indicating that special terms apply because the person is an employee and when they leave employment the rate will increase to "x" and the limit will decrease to "y".

So, when the employment relationship changes, is an AAN under Reg B required, a 45-day advance Change In Terms from the Credit Card Act changes, or something else? Or is there no notification required because it was all clearly spelled out in the original LOC Addendum?

Return to Top
#1531390 - 04/05/11 12:31 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? pacar
pacar Offline
Gold Star
Bump

Return to Top
#1531440 - 04/05/11 02:38 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? pacar
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Since the changes are part of the original contract, this is not adverse action and no 45 days notice would be required as this is not a credit card.

I would question the credit limit issue - are you saying you grant a higher limit to employees than you do for the general public under the same circumstances? I see this issue totally different than giving them a rate break. If that is the case, make sure your EOs and Directors do not get that benefit and you should look to make sure this cannot be considered insider abuse.

Return to Top
#1531584 - 04/05/11 05:14 PM Re: What Notification Required to Freeze a non-RE LOC? rlcarey
pacar Offline
Gold Star
Very helpful - thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z