BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#153164 - 01/23/04 08:50 PM Official checks logs
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
I am looking for ideas to improve the efficiency of recording official checks. We are a three branch bank. Our stock of official checks is maintained at the Main Bank and reserve stock is distributed to branches on an "as needed" basis.

Currently we are recording all monetary sales on photocopied forms. We have a log for cashiers check, a log for money orders, a log for travelers cheques,etc. The teller must write in the serial #, payee, remiter, amount, date, etc.. at the time each transaction is conducted. This seems so antiquated and I am trying to help these folks into streamlining this process.

Would you guys be willing to share how you record and maitain the information? I would really like to come up with a more efficient manner of documentation. The problem is we do not have PCs behind the teller lines and we also are not on any automated teller software. Up a creek? Maybe.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#153165 - 01/23/04 09:03 PM Re: Official checks logs
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
Mac, if it makes you feel any better, that's exactly the same way we are doing it. As far as this is concerned, it might be the best way and if it ain't broke...Let me know if you find another way that you think is better.

Return to Top
#153166 - 01/23/04 09:32 PM Re: Official checks logs
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I second that with the method you outlined the best presentation in case the information is needed. I don't believe that there is a core system that gathers all the required information.

Return to Top
#153167 - 01/23/04 09:32 PM Re: Official checks logs
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
We're spoiled. We have teller software that prints the cashier's checks as they're issued and records and reconciles the cashier's check account as well. Gotta love technology!!

Return to Top
#153168 - 01/23/04 09:36 PM Re: Official checks logs
mfc Offline
mfc
Oklahoma
One of our branches uses a check encoder that records all that information.

But all of the other branches do it exactly as you stated.

Return to Top
#153169 - 01/23/04 09:43 PM Re: Official checks logs
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Good grief! Thanks for all of your responses. I guess we will just keep on keepin on. It just seemed like there had to be a better way, but if this is how must of us do it then it can't be all that bad! Now, maybe we could work on the penmanship!

Return to Top
#153170 - 01/23/04 09:45 PM Re: Official checks logs
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
If legibility is an issue, why not set up an Excel spreadsheeet or some other kind of on-screen chart. A MS Access form, maybe, so they can't change previous info?

Then they could type in the info, and it would even provide you with a databse that you could search....

Return to Top
#153171 - 01/23/04 09:59 PM Re: Official checks logs
mfc Offline
mfc
Oklahoma
Quote:

One of our branches uses a check encoder that records all that information.

The company if your interested is Financial Equipment Co.

Return to Top
#153172 - 01/23/04 10:18 PM Re: Official checks logs
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

If legibility is an issue, why not set up an Excel spreadsheeet or some other kind of on-screen chart. A MS Access form, maybe, so they can't change previous info?

Then they could type in the info, and it would even provide you with a databse that you could search....

No PCs behind the teller line and I am trying not to add additional steps by having them manually write up the information on their log and then transfer it to an Excel doc.

Return to Top
#153173 - 01/30/04 04:48 AM Re: Official checks logs
AlexT Offline
New Poster
We use EZTeller software. It records all our negotiables - Cashiers Checks, Travelers Checks and Money Orders. I am in compliance and I have to review all locations and I can review any of my branches on-line, no logs. It also records my negotiables purchased with cask - $3k - 10k. Kinda cool. We have 13 branches and it requires a little more help to stay on top of things.

Return to Top
#153174 - 02/02/04 11:14 PM Re: Official checks logs
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
What about getting initials for dual control of cashiers check stock?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett