Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1536907 - 04/18/11 06:06 PM HPMLs - ending escrow after one year
CABCompliance Offline
100 Club
My bank wants to send a letter to HPML customers after completion of one year of escrowing offering to opt them out of future escrowing. I know that we can cancel the escrow account if we receive a dated written request from the customer but I want to make sure that we can prompt the request with the letter.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1536912 - 04/18/11 06:10 PM Re: HPMLs - ending escrow after one year CABCompliance
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My understanding is that you cannot encourage a customer to stop escrow..but curiously, why would you want to? Seems the worst part is the initial set up...and it's a healthy addition, IMHO, for S&S reasons.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1536916 - 04/18/11 06:15 PM Re: HPMLs - ending escrow after one year CABCompliance
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Why would you want to encourage the termination of escrow? It's in the bank's interest to ensure that the taxes and insurance are paid. In addition, I believe there is a section of Dodd-Frank that is calling for an extension of the escrow for HPMLs to be five years. We had never done escrow before HPMLs, but now that we're doing it, I doubt that we would even entertain a request from a customer to stop unless there were overriding circumstances.

Return to Top
#1536940 - 04/18/11 06:36 PM Re: HPMLs - ending escrow after one year Doug Hendrickson
Sheldon Hendrix Online
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Ditto RR & Doug. Just because the rule allows the termination of the account, doesn't mean you have to terminate it. Your mortgage covenants probably allow you to require it full term. Escrow accounts are by far the best way to keep your customers up-to-date on taxes and insurance.

Return to Top
#1536947 - 04/18/11 06:42 PM Re: HPMLs - ending escrow after one year Doug Hendrickson
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
(iii) Cancellation. A creditor or servicer may permit a consumer to cancel the escrow account required in paragraph (b)(3)(i) of this section only in response to a consumer's dated written request to cancel the escrow account that is received no earlier than 365 days after consummation.

You would not be canceling in response to the a consumer's written request to cancel the escrow. The consumer would be responding to your solicitation and you would be acting on their response to that solicitation.

The request to cancel escrow should be initiated by the consumer, not the lender.

Return to Top
#1543534 - 04/29/11 05:29 PM Re: HPMLs - ending escrow after one year Dan Persfull
CABCompliance Offline
100 Club
Thanks for all the input. You've helped me convince them!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z