Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1539517 - 04/22/11 04:32 PM joint checking account question
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Husband and Wife have joint checking account and are getting a divorce. The wife comes in and wants to put the account on credits only, because she does not want the husband to have access to the money.
My take is since this is a joint account he could come in 5 minutes later and say he wanted the credits only taken off and it could go back and forth. And what would they do if a check he had written came in for payment they could not in good faith send it back, I told them we would be getting into the middle of a domestic dispute and the bank does not want to be put into that position. I said the best thing to do would be for her to come into the bank and close the account.

How would you have resolved this?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1539523 - 04/22/11 04:39 PM Re: joint checking account question Overboard
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Same as you. Have one of them close the account and open a new one.

Return to Top
#1539525 - 04/22/11 04:40 PM Re: joint checking account question Overboard
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I would've resolved it exactly as you did. Either of them can come in and close the account at any time.

We would also have the option of closing the account, but I'm not sure if this would be a wise course of action.

Return to Top
#1539550 - 04/22/11 04:56 PM Re: joint checking account question Doug Hendrickson
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
I agree. This is a dispute they need to settle between themselves, the bank can not restrict access to person A because person B wants the bank to, each have equal access -- as long as the account is set up with rights of survivorship, which is generally the case.

However, I would not inform the customer that "the best thing to do would be for her to come into the bank and close the account." as this is not a true statement. That is what she can do to make sure the only person with control of the money is herself. She may be in hot water when it turns out she took it upon herself to put the money completely in her name and not allow her husband, partial rightful owner, to have access.

I would advise the customer the best thing for her to do is to speak with her lawyer to seek legal counsel.

Return to Top
#1539568 - 04/22/11 05:06 PM Re: joint checking account question Bob The Banker
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Yes I agree BTB, The banks CSR told the customer she could come into the bank and close the account.

When the CSR called me and asked what she should do I said the best thing would be if the customer came in to close the account.
That was not relayed to the customer.
Sorry should have clarified that.

Return to Top
#1539607 - 04/22/11 05:26 PM Re: joint checking account question Overboard
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Squeeky
Yes I agree BTB, The banks CSR told the customer she could come into the bank and close the account.

When the CSR called me and asked what she should do I said the best thing would be if the customer came in to close the account.
That was not relayed to the customer.
Sorry should have clarified that.

Okay sounds good.

And just to clarify yes, I do agree with disclosing to the customer that she could close the account and re-open, however, I would just not advise the customer that that is the best course of action.

Return to Top
#1539646 - 04/22/11 05:39 PM Re: joint checking account question Bob The Banker
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Thanks for the input everyone.

Return to Top