Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1539487 - 04/22/11 04:16 PM Confirmation that Check Has Cleared
Valley Girl Offline
100 Club
Several businesses have been calling lately to verify that a check has cleared a customer's account. Thus far, we have been telling them that we cannot give that information.

Do many banks provide that information? Is there a reason we should be providing that information?

Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1539967 - 04/23/11 01:31 AM Re: Confirmation that Check Has Cleared Valley Girl
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I'll do it for any bank willing to do it for me. Outside of that, no.

Return to Top
#1539976 - 04/23/11 03:08 PM Re: Confirmation that Check Has Cleared Blade Scrapper
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Clarification question: You say "businesses", do you mean another bank is calling? Or are you saying Tony's Pizza is calling you to see if a check written to them has cleared? Or...?

You definitely have to consider privacy issues and your bank's policies.

My bank's policy is not to verify funds for other banks. We definitely wouldn't discuss a customer's account with a non-customer business who happened to have received a check from my customer. Slippery slope there, be careful.

Return to Top
#1540046 - 04/25/11 01:25 PM Re: Confirmation that Check Has Cleared BurntSienna
Valley Girl Offline
100 Club
Thanks so much for your input!!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett