Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1540859 - 04/26/11 04:26 PM Costco or Sam's Club?
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
With the impending arrival of mini-me #2, I am seriously considering joining one of these clubs. The savings on diapers and paper products alone would be worth it. I think.

Any feedback on either of these places?

Sam's Club is very close to our house and has better prices on the diapers we like. Costco is down the street from my work, not really close to home, but this is the place my FIL swears by for everything.

Thoughts on either or both?

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1540865 - 04/26/11 04:31 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Aggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
BJ's

CAMS

Return to Top
#1540867 - 04/26/11 04:35 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Aggs
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I've never been to a Costco, don't know if there are any in my area at all. But I can tell you Sam's Club has saved me lots of money on diapers, wipes, and although I don't use it anymore, the formula. Thank goodness, my daughter is on regular milk now and we are trying to potty train her, so all of those costs should go away soon. This stuff is so ridiculously priced.

Return to Top
#1540870 - 04/26/11 04:38 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Bones
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Bones
I've never been to a Costco, don't know if there are any in my area at all. But I can tell you Sam's Club has saved me lots of money on diapers, wipes, and although I don't use it anymore, the formula. Thank goodness, my daughter is on regular milk now and we are trying to potty train her, so all of those costs should go away soon. This stuff is so ridiculously priced.

In the same boat cant wait to replace the diapers with designer clothes smirk

CAMS

Return to Top
#1540879 - 04/26/11 04:43 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? edAudit
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: EdAudit
BJ's

Odd! Aggs is talking about discount warehouses! shocked

Shame on you!

laugh

Return to Top
#1540886 - 04/26/11 04:47 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Snow Bunny
~MunQue~ Offline
Platinum Poster
~MunQue~
HERE! I'm here!
We have a large family, and I swear by Sam's club. We have to drive 2 hours to it, but it's worth it. No more babies, but we do a grip of grocery shopping there, bottled water, paper products, gatoraid, and meat. And anything else we can store, like pasta or frozen foods. It saves a lot of time and money.

Return to Top
#1540892 - 04/26/11 04:53 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? ~MunQue~
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I've only been to Sam's Club and like it.

they sell beef jerky, lots of it

Return to Top
#1540907 - 04/26/11 05:10 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Peepers
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Went to BJ's once or twice - thought they were more expensive than Sam's. Never been to a Costco (don't know where one is in our area but my SIL loves it). I love Sam's. Heck, even if you go for just bacon and butter it's a LOT cheaper than the supermarket! I get a lot of my DVDs there and we have bought two HD tvs (make sure you purchase the extended warranty - the first tv we got died after almost two years (just before the extended warranty ran out). My husband and son took it to a shop on the list in center city. Two days later they said they couldn't fix it (part was no longer available). We received a check for the full purchase price within a week! We even forgot to register the warranty online but they still had a record of it. We deposited the check and then went back to Sam's and got another tv and purchased a longer warranty. I've been a member since about 1994.

Return to Top
#1540913 - 04/26/11 05:16 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? madukes
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Sam's and Costco are great for diapers and formula twice during your lifetime - once when you are raising kids (Pampers™ and Enfamil™) and then again when you reach the point of being "Pale Old" (Depends™ and Ensure™).

Return to Top
#1541023 - 04/26/11 06:09 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? thomasj
Aggs Offline
Diamond Poster
Aggs
Hoosier Country
LMAO @ tj laugh

Does Sam's Club have prepared meals you can freeze? My FIL buys stuff like that from Costco and it's always quite tasty. I was thinking that with the baby's arrival, it would be easy for my hubby to run to Sam's Club and buy a few frozen meals to heat up for dinner, etc.

Opinions expressed in these threads are my own and not my employer's.

Return to Top
#1541032 - 04/26/11 06:17 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Aggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Aggs
LMAO @ tj laugh

Does Sam's Club have prepared meals you can freeze? My FIL buys stuff like that from Costco and it's always quite tasty. I was thinking that with the baby's arrival, it would be easy for my hubby to run to Sam's Club and buy a few frozen meals to heat up for dinner, etc.

It may be a few years for the baby to eat frozen dinners laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1541037 - 04/26/11 06:19 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? edAudit
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
We don't have a Costco, so I'm a Sam's Club member by default. We do buy a few things there but use it mostly for the discount on gas. I've only been in a Costco once. I liked it better than Sam's for regular grocery shopping.

Return to Top
#1541050 - 04/26/11 06:25 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? RR Becca
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
The Sam's Club nearest me closed about 4 years ago, and Costco is less than a mile from me. I go there for gas, their ready-to-bake pizzas and vodka. It's been so worth it.

Return to Top
#1541052 - 04/26/11 06:27 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Bacon Boy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Sam's Club needs to sell bigger cans of baked beans. One can just isn't enough.

Return to Top
#1541064 - 04/26/11 06:37 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Peepers
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Belong to both but am dropping Costco. Did Costco because we needed rice milk for littlest gran for first four years due to her allergies which she's outgrown...yea!!! Sam's has lots of frozen food and now rotisserie chickens, etc. Also the BEST fresh chicken.

Husband and I were actually at Costco last week doing a comparison to make sure we wanted to drop them. They were out of so many things that they used to have, even potatoes!!! Husband said 'guess nothing good fell off the truck this week, huh?' That about summed it up. Sam's on the other hand, can be relied on to find what you got there last time unless it's seasonal like Christmas stuff, of course.

You can go to both of them and do a dry run before you have to buy in. I highly recommend it. That way you can check out who has what you're likely to be buying.

Return to Top
#1541116 - 04/26/11 07:28 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Truffle Royale
Midwest Banker Offline
Gold Star
Cheeseland
Agree with Truffle Royale; try them both, or at least go in and look around. Most places offer free trial memberships and also allow to come in for free and look around. Check them out at different times and days to ensure that what you want is stocked, etc. Also consider that most people bank (or shop) where they live or work.

Return to Top
#1541128 - 04/26/11 07:36 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Midwest Banker
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Do you have any pets? If so, go Costco all the way.

FYI, I have had the opposite problem as Truffle. Sams never had what I wanted, Costco is reliable!
Last edited by B_F; 04/26/11 07:37 PM.
Return to Top
#1541147 - 04/26/11 07:54 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? B_F
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Sam's it is!

Return to Top
#1541163 - 04/26/11 08:05 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? #Just Jay
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Costco is too far for us, so we go to Sams. Word is they may build one less than 2 miles from us.

One thing we really like is their ground beef. It is very lean. Sometimes we'll brown a pound of ground beef and have almost no grease to drain off. We buy a lot of produce there too.

I find you can beat their beer and wine prices if you watch the sales, but they will have some good specials on liquor.

They will have some good deals on clothes too, if you're not fixated on trendy name brands.

Return to Top
#1541195 - 04/26/11 08:32 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? MyBrainHurts
Peepers Offline
10K Club
be sure when leaving Sam's Club to walk right past the person checking receipts on your way out

check out their reaction

Return to Top
#1541206 - 04/26/11 08:38 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Peepers
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I am about and hour one way and 2 another to a Sam's and that is where I always shop. There is a Costco about a mile or so down the road from Sams at the one in Ft Worth...I have never been to one so i can't really give you a truly honest opinion. I say try both of them out look at what you would be wanting to purchase write down the prices and the size it is, then go to the other to compare and see who can give you the best for your money.

Return to Top
#1541237 - 04/26/11 09:07 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? Happy Drugs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Oh, Costco has their own brand, "Kirkland", and it is all great stuff. From $15 blue jeans that hold up to dish/laundry soap, to dog/cat food to just about anything you can think of, theirs is as good as the name brand.

Return to Top
#1541248 - 04/26/11 09:23 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? #Just Jay
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
Sam's it is!

I second that.

Return to Top
#1541256 - 04/26/11 09:32 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? cheekEE
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
It's Costco for me! Great products (on household items and groceries) and awesome fresh produce. Consider an executive membership - you receive cash back at the end of the year that helps offset the cost of membership. Also, their return policy can't be beat!

<------ diehard Costco fan.

Almost forgot one reason alone to buy Costco.... Kirkland vanilla ice cream. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Return to Top
#1541339 - 04/27/11 12:09 PM Re: Costco or Sam's Club? RebekahL CRCM
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
You can get Kirkland at Aldi's too, I believe.

Not a fan of Sam's and never been in a Costco. I always got great diaper deals at Walgreens, CVS, or Target. Never paid more than $3-4 a pack thanks to coupons and deals. Even got paid one time to take the Walgreens brand diapers off their hands and that brand holds up just as well as any of the others.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4