Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1540394 - 04/25/11 08:01 PM Pay day loan companies
Cmone Offline
Deep South
BSA portion of FDIC S&S started today....quick question and need guidance. Is a publically traded pay day loan company eligible for Phase I exemption?

Thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1540632 - 04/26/11 01:32 PM Re: Pay day loan companies Cmone
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - a publicly traded company under a Phase I exemption is not limited to eligible business activities.

Return to Top
#1540690 - 04/26/11 02:07 PM Re: Pay day loan companies rlcarey
Cmone Offline
Deep South
Thanks for the reply! So, to put another way, a publically traded check casher or money transmitter is automatically eligible for a Phase I exemption due to the fact that they are publically traded? Phase II rules for non-listed businesses and the 50% gross revenue rule for ineligible activity DO NOT apply? We are being questioned on one of our exempted customers who doesn't even meet the definition of a non-bank financial institution (aka MSB). Everything that I read indicates that since they are a listed company they are automatically eligible for a Phase I exemption.

Additional clarification would be helpful.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1540903 - 04/26/11 05:06 PM Re: Pay day loan companies Cmone
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I don't know how much clearer the regulation could be:

§ 1020.315 Transactions of exempt persons.

(b) Exempt person. For purposes of this section, an exempt person is:

(4) Any entity, other than a bank, whose common stock or analogous equity interests are listed on the New York Stock Exchange or the American Stock Exchange or whose common stock or analogous equity interests have been designated as a NASDAQ National Market Security listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (except stock or interests listed under the separate “NASDAQ Capital Markets Companies” heading), provided that, for purposes of this paragraph (b)(4), a person that is a financial institution, other than a bank, is an exempt person only to the extent of its domestic operations;

Return to Top
#1541091 - 04/26/11 07:10 PM Re: Pay day loan companies rlcarey
Cmone Offline
Deep South
My thoughts exactly! Thanks Randy. They have backed off.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z