Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1542724 - 04/28/11 04:56 PM Deposit slips
Anonymous
Unregistered

Random question- are deposit slips required by any rule/regulation?

Our receipts clearly document the transaction (down to a detail of cash in/out) and we keep a copy and hand a copy to the customer.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1542741 - 04/28/11 05:06 PM Re: Deposit slips Anonymous
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

Not that I am aware of. Are you asking because you don't want to physically keep them or because you want to use your 'receipts' in place of them? Do your receipts actually have the account number on them? If so, I'd be more concerned about that than whether or not a deposit ticket is necessary by regulation.

#1542821 - 04/28/11 05:56 PM Re: Deposit slips
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am asking because we don't currently required deposit slips- not even filled out by the tellers. I can't find a regulation that says we have to have them. However, we have had a situation or two where a member claims his deposit wasn't made for the right amount (cash), but there was no deposit to clearly show what was intended to be deposited.

We image and retain our receipts. The receipt shows a truncated account number, but does have the name and address of the customer.

#1542938 - 04/28/11 07:00 PM Re: Deposit slips Anonymous
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
In PA:

(a) Requirement of retention-Every institution and every national bank
located in this Commonwealth shall retain in such form and manner that they
may be readily produced upon proper demand each record of original or final
entry, and each deposit or withdrawal slip or ticket, for a period of seven
years from the date of the making of the last entry thereon, except that
coupons accompanying deposits in a club account, such as a Christmas club or
a vacation club, need not be so retained for more than two years from the
date of closing of such account.

I also thought there was something in BSA requiring retention of deposit slips where there is at least $100 in cash deposited, but I can't find it.

#1542948 - 04/28/11 07:06 PM Re: Deposit slips NotDoneYet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know there is something in BSA- but it was interpreted as a record that $100 in cash or more was deposited...which we do keep record. BSA requires retention for 5 years on those records. We just don't physically use a deposit slip, but everything is printed on the receipt, which we retain.

#1542952 - 04/28/11 07:08 PM Re: Deposit slips NotDoneYet
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
Found it. In Appendix P: BSA Record Retention requirements in the Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering Examination Manual:

Deposits in Excess of $100
Each deposit slip or credit ticket reflecting a transaction in excess of $100 or the equivalent record for direct deposit or other funds transfer deposit transactions. The slip or ticket must record the amount of any currency involved.

#1542958 - 04/28/11 07:13 PM Re: Deposit slips NotDoneYet
NotDoneYet Offline
Gold Star
NotDoneYet
PA
Maybe a receipt and a credit ticket are the same thing.

The next section in that same appendix P is titled Records to Reconstruct Demand Deposit Accounts. That might be more reason to have a deposit ticket than the one I quoted prior.

#1543041 - 04/28/11 08:14 PM Re: Deposit slips NotDoneYet
Georgia Plum
Unregistered

What about ATMs that accept checks/cash for depoait without a deposit slip? I think in today's world of automation, if you can provide cash/checks deposited I would think you would be ok.

We do require a deposit ticket and we make the customer complete it. That way if there is a discrepancy, it's in his own hand and can't really dispute it.

Do you require your tellers to add the cash on the teller tapes? We require this as well to show that we balance to the deposit slip. For large amounts of cash, we have a cash counter and the customer watches us as the machine counts it.

#1543089 - 04/28/11 08:57 PM Re: Deposit slips
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have an area on the receipt where the teller records the cash by denomination. This is required by the teller per our policies.

I think management reads the BSA "credit ticket" as a receipt- allowing us not to require a deposit slip.

I struggle with this though, as I have never worked at an institution that does not require a deposit slip. And I don't know why we wouldn't? Even if, for nothing else, the exact reason stated that if it is in the customer's writing- they would have a hard time disputing it.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale