Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#154320 - 01/28/04 08:15 PM New Guy in Town
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I've been to Texas a few times and loved it, and now the trips may be more frequent.

We just signed a loan officer to head-up wholesale mortgage business in Texas. I've been in Florida and have NO concept of Texas regulations for mortgages, nor community property differences in the Federal regulations (never having to rely on them).

Can anyone offer me guidance on nuances for lending in the Lone Star State or precautions on community property? (Yankee go home is not appropriate!)

Thank you.

Return to Top
#154321 - 01/28/04 08:22 PM Re: New Guy in Town
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Hire a very good attorney and a Texas lending compliance consultant. There is no way to sum up Texas law in a few words. Depending on what you are doing, you may or may not get tangled up in it. Good Luck!

Return to Top
#154322 - 01/28/04 09:21 PM Re: New Guy in Town
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
As Zaibatsu spoke, Tex nodded somlenly and said, "Amen - brothers and sisters, can a I get a Hallelujah!!!"

Return to Top
#154323 - 01/29/04 12:05 AM Re: New Guy in Town
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
We don't consider people from Florida to be Yankees. But if you live north of Amarillo, Texas - we might have to talk!

I moved to Texas banking from New Mexico a few years ago - and I'm telling you - nuances is a gross understatement!! Get ready to be shocked and bewildered!!

Z's advice is right on target. And frequent the BOL Texas forum! Good luck.

Return to Top
#154324 - 02/06/04 02:16 PM Re: New Guy in Town
BrendaW Offline
100 Club
BrendaW
Texas
Well, I have relatives in Florida that I visit on occasion and just love the Florida Keys as my uncle has a beach house there that we frequent....Welcome to the bewilderment of Texas law. It is not easy to understand nor grasp. However you might find these websites helpful http://www.banking.state.tx.us/ and http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/ and http://www.occc.state.tx.us/ and http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/statutes.html .. Hope this helps and Happy Hunting!

Return to Top
#154325 - 02/09/04 05:30 AM Re: New Guy in Town
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
If you person is going to be a mortgage broker, he/she will need to be licensed through the Texas Savings and Loan Department, don't ask me why this agency is the primary regulator for brokers.

Return to Top
#154326 - 02/09/04 07:31 PM Re: New Guy in Town
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

If you person is going to be a mortgage broker, he/she will need to be licensed through the Texas Savings and Loan Department, don't ask me why this agency is the primary regulator for brokers.

There is a political reason. As there is for most things that do not make sense legislatively. Of course, there are those times that a legislative idea is just idiotic on its own without politics.

Return to Top
#154327 - 02/10/04 02:43 AM Re: New Guy in Town
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Ditto, Z, dito !

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z