Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#15420 - 04/15/02 05:03 PM Quick question for the Texas crowd
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
We had a customer open a new account with a Texas DL that expires in 2008. There is no issue date on the license, but it seems to have been issued last year. This may only strike me odd because I'm accustomed to Pennsylvania's 4 year renewals. So is a Texas DL actually valid for seven years?

Return to Top
#15421 - 04/15/02 08:09 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
My Texas Drivers license was issued May 2000 and expires in September 06 (on the date of my birthday). You are right, there is no issue date shown.

Return to Top
#15422 - 04/15/02 08:27 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Mine was issued two years ago and was for 6 years.

If you hold a valid Texas license under a blacklight you will see "TEXAS" repeated across the face of the license in neon. You may also be able to see it lightly if you rotate the front under normal light. This is more obvious against the standard blue background in the picture.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#15423 - 04/15/02 08:39 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you hold the card under a bright light at just the right angle, you will see the phrase: "Issue date omitted to confound Yankees."

Return to Top
#15424 - 04/15/02 08:51 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Thanks for the info!

Return to Top
#15425 - 04/17/02 03:03 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

Texas DL's are issued for five years and expire on the birth date of the owner of the license.

Return to Top
#15426 - 04/17/02 03:43 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The Texas Department of Public Safety Web site indicates a driver's license is issued for 6 years, and renewals are available for 4, 5, or 6 years (at different prices).

Their state ID card is evidently issued for 6 years, except for persons over 60, who can get a permanent one.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#15427 - 04/17/02 05:16 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As stated earlier, I got my current DL in 2000 and it expires in 2006.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#15428 - 04/17/02 06:23 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a person presents a Texas ID card, you should be suspicious. There is usually some unspoken reason why they have a Texas ID card rather than a Texas driver's license.

Return to Top
#15429 - 04/17/02 06:25 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
You mean like maybe they don't know how to drive?

Return to Top
#15430 - 04/17/02 07:18 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Lots of people that don't know how to drive have driver's licenses.

Return to Top
#15431 - 04/17/02 08:01 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Ted is correct. And they are usually pulling out in front of me.

State issued ID cards should be increasing since 9-11. A lot of places want multiple IDs, pictured IDs, etc. and that is an easy addition to a DL.

And as was noted, in reality not everyone does drive. I recall a story that I heard many times about a person (who I won't name), who was an attorney. This person had a job, worked away from the home, traveled and lectured, but didn't have a DL. This wasn't in NYC where cabs are abundant, this was in OK. This was a very capable person, who simply didn't have a DL. It happens.

Return to Top
#15432 - 04/18/02 02:41 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is not NYC and there is not a city in Texas where not having a car is normal as it is in NYC.

State issued ID cards should not be increasing in Texas among licensed drivers. It serves no purpose to have a DL issued by Department of Public Safety and an ID card issued by the Department of Public Safety. In reality, this is NOT two forms of identification.

I assure you that fraud among folks in Texas who only have an ID card is higher than for those who have driver's licenses. I believe that the Pegasus folks can back this up if they are watching this forum.

Return to Top
#15433 - 04/18/02 04:40 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the updates! The customer in question here has a DL, not a non-driver ID. I don't know how it works in other states, but in Pennsylvania, the state does not issue non-driver ID cards to licensed drivers. You can have one or the other, but not both.

Return to Top
#15434 - 04/18/02 04:47 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
That last post was me. I forgot to log in.

Return to Top
#15435 - 04/18/02 07:42 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

I believe that is correct here in Texas also--either a DL or an ID, but not both. I was merely responding to Andy who mentioned as an ID in addition to a DL. TXDPS probably won't issue an ID to a TX licenced driver and it would do no good if they did. Andy is in the Ft. Hood area--maybe soldiers with DLs from other states get TX IDs--I do not know. My point has now gotten totally lost in the discussion. Machts nicht.

Return to Top
#15436 - 04/19/02 02:35 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
My point was primarily that I would believe (and I could be wrong) that state issued IDs should be increasing in numbers and we should see more of them than in the past.

One common form of ID in my area is a military ID card. The new ID card will not have a picture on it. Many places will then not accept it as a primary form of ID. Many on these military members will also have an expired drivers license because there is a military exemption in many states for renewal periods. Some folks will now say this is not a valid for of ID.

That scenario combined with people who just do not drive, and the increased need for a photo ID, would prompt more requests for state issued IDs. But again, I could be wrong.

Return to Top
#15437 - 05/07/02 04:56 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Not to beat a dead horse, but when we were having this conversation my curiosity piqued so I sent the DPS an e-mail.

I asked if one person could have both a Texas DL and ID. They have responded "Yes".

I also asked if the issuance of ID cards was rising. The response was a qualified yes, it was the repondants opinion they were but she didn't research the numbers.

Certainly that doesn't mean that the numbers are up for someone with a TX DL, only that there do seem to be more IDs being issued.

Return to Top
#15438 - 05/07/02 09:15 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
As far as Texas law, the horse is not dead, just not researched...

What this warning regarding the "Texas Identification Certificates" (the actual name of the card) is referring to is the old saying among Texas bankers: "Not all persons who have a Texas ID card are crooks, but all crooks have Texas ID cards." (I'll keep my source of this quote anonymous)

Although, I am sure that some people merely choose not to drive, the cards are usually issued to those who, for some reason, cannot get a driver's license. Some of those reasons are for physical or mental incapacities; however, there are criminal ineligibilities also--driving while intoxicated, intoxication assault, intoxication manslaughter. A person is also inelligible if his license is revoked, suspended, or cancelled by another state.

If a young, otherwise healthy looking individual presents an ID card to your bank and does not have a driver's license, it is probably a reason to be a little suspicious.

Check out Subchapter J, Chapter 521, of the Texas Transportation Code entitled "Persons Ineligible for License."

WARNING: Transportation Code ยง 521.101(g) states that "[a]n individual, corporation, or association may not deny the holder of a personal identification certificate access to goods, services, or facilities, except as provided by Section 521.460 or in regard to the operation of a motor vehicle, because the holder has a personal identification certificate rather than a driver's license." (Section 521.460 deals with car rentals.)

Return to Top
#15439 - 05/08/02 02:13 AM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Sure zaibatsu, give us a reality check.

Actually I know some parents who are talking about getting these for their kids for IDs. They are too young to drive, but need more than a school ID.

That said, much of what you say sounds logical. Thanks for the perspective.

Return to Top
#15440 - 05/09/02 02:00 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the holder is a minor under 16 years old, it will be easy to determine why they have an ID rather than a driver's license, but it becomes more difficult for adults. Disabilities are not always evident. I just treat this as a know your customer issue. I don't like cashing checks for folks who show ID cards rather than DL--I think the risks are higher--but what can you do?

Return to Top
#15441 - 05/10/02 08:18 PM Re: Quick question for the Texas crowd
Anonymous
Unregistered

Term of license - Beginning in April 98, license term is 4, 5, or 6 years, expiring on birthday. Early renewal option can increase term to up to 7 years. Before that date, 4 years.Under 18 drivers have one-year term, expiring on next birthday. License may be extended 4,5, or 6 years with accompaning sticker. No issue date on license. There is a picture of Tx license (and other states) in the ID Checking guide published by Drivers License Guide Company. We highly recommend this book - our new accounts reps utilize this book for all states to review license submitted at time of opening. It also give you all the information, description, validation, term, etc......

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z