Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1547469 - 05/06/11 04:46 PM Home as Collateral, Not on Deed
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Beach Bum, East Coast, USA
Husband wants a loan secured by his residence. He is NOT on the deed, however, his wife is willing to sign the deed of trust/mortgage as collateral even though she will not be obligated on the loan as a co-borrower or a co-maker. I am trying to think if there are any regulatory concerns in using her primary residence as collateral on a loan when she isn't benefiting from the proceeds of the loan. Any thoughts???

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1547481 - 05/06/11 04:53 PM Re: Home as Collateral, Not on Deed Pickles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
This kind of situation happens all the time. Actually, I can take a mortgage out on your house if you'll sign the deed/mortgage as collateral.

I'm betting the husband owns a business so he's got the income. The home is in the wife's name so it can't be attached if the husband's business runs into trouble.

Don't worry. You're ok to proceed.

Return to Top
#1547496 - 05/06/11 04:57 PM Re: Home as Collateral, Not on Deed Pickles
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
The close personal relationship between husband and wife is viewed as sufficient legal consideration for such a transaction. She has a vested interest in his concerns and financial needs.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1547511 - 05/06/11 05:06 PM Re: Home as Collateral, Not on Deed Kathleen O. Blanchard
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Beach Bum, East Coast, USA
thank you both

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z