BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1548225 - 05/09/11 05:11 PM Re: SUV? Van? DD Regs
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I have an 03 Odyssey, LOVE IT. It now has 130,000 miles on it and no issues. When I decide to sell it, I will be going with another Odyssey. It doesn't feel like a van, more like a car to me. We had an SUV and I felt like I was in a box. The middle seats are easy to remove and the back seat folds down, so if you needed to haul something large and don't have extra passengers, you can.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1548257 - 05/09/11 05:45 PM Re: SUV? Van? Countess Kiwi
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
They are supposed to be coming out with a hybrid Honda Van this year. that ought to be pricey. wonder how much you'll save on gas...........

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1548268 - 05/09/11 06:03 PM Re: SUV? Van? Dip
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Dip
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
We fit 8 people in our SUV.

Do you have a moinster one, like a Suburban or something? I'm talkign abotu the SUVs that most people drive (at least around here). Toyota SUVs, Lexus SUVs... all have 2 seats in Front and 3 in back. Monster SUVs are a whoel nother story. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to drive something that donky (large).

Thanks DD. We love our Moinster smirk, and all of the rear seats fold flat so we can use the space for transporting a great deal of stuff.

Return to Top
#1548276 - 05/09/11 06:12 PM Re: SUV? Van? MB Guy
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
We almost bought he Expedition (The Ford version of the Navigator) but it wouldn't fit in our garage. I ended up with the F-150 extended cab with a cap on it. Still doesn't fit in the garage laugh

The wife got the van.

Return to Top
#1548280 - 05/09/11 06:21 PM Re: SUV? Van? DD Regs
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
We have a ginormous garage, and our F 150 Extended Cab BARELY fits...can't walk behind it with the garage door closed. smile

Return to Top
#1548284 - 05/09/11 06:24 PM Re: SUV? Van? MB Guy
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Had a mini-van (Windstar) when the kids were younger, until about 3 years ago. You can't beat it for versatility and roominess - pull the seats out and you can get an amazing amount of stuff in it. Comfortably seats 7 and can still carry some stuff in the back. But there's no getting around the fact that it's a van - higher center of gravity, not as good pickup, just not that fun to drive. Also, mileage wasn't that great - about 16 no matter what kind of driving. Kids are older now and don't need to haul around as much stuff. Got a RAV4 and love it. My only complaint is that we got the third seat option and it probably wasn't worth it. We mostly leave the third row folded down, it doesn't have much legroom, and they take an inch or two of legroom from the front seats in models that have the third row. If anyone who will drive the car is over 6 feet tall, that will be an issue for them.

Return to Top
#1548303 - 05/09/11 06:47 PM Re: SUV? Van? DD Regs
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I had a 96 Chevy Lumina Van that I loved, loved, loved, it got good gas mileage and would seat 7. I finally parted with it in 2009 and we this...closed to getting a Ford Escape and I looked out in their parking lot after we had test drove it and saw this Black GMC Envoy. I test drove it and immediately wanted it. It was roomier, but of course it will only seat 5. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my van did nor get the gas mileage it did, but I really do like it!! I couldn't say at this point if I would go back to a van or stay with an SUV...I like this both!!!
Last edited by Happy Drugs; 05/09/11 06:48 PM.

Return to Top
#1548501 - 05/09/11 10:06 PM Re: SUV? Van? Happy Drugs
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Love, love my Dodge Journey, it is technically a "crossover". It averages 21-23 mpg, has 3rd row seating, removable coolers in the floor (I love them for grocery shopping, hubby wishes he could fill them with beer!), waterbottle cooler in the dash, pop out always charged flashlight in the back, "regular" plug in outlet, extra rearview mirror (one for kids - one for road), for like $500 bucks more i could have added the bluetooth and dvd options, probably should have, still plan to one of these days. i love all the fun options plus it drives great and is comfortable to ride in!

Return to Top
#1548511 - 05/09/11 11:53 PM Re: SUV? Van? StarryNight
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali XL that I love, but it is killing me on mpg right now. I am kinda looking for something smaller that has better mpg, but has a 3rd row of seating and isn't a mini van. I think I like the Dodge Journey or the Toyota Highlander or the Honda Pilot. The Dodge Journey seems to be the most reasonable for price and what you get in mpg and options.

Return to Top
#1548524 - 05/10/11 02:14 AM Re: SUV? Van? JustMe!
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Toyota Highlander is the same as the Lexus SUV. I guess if you're planning on hauling lots of kids and lots of stuff, go minivan. Most I haul is groceries or flowers and/or a couple grans so the SUV is big enough for me.

Return to Top
#1548616 - 05/10/11 01:26 PM Re: SUV? Van? JustMe!
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Originally Posted By: JustMe!
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali XL that I love, but it is killing me on mpg right now. I am kinda looking for something smaller that has better mpg, but has a 3rd row of seating and isn't a mini van. I think I like the Dodge Journey or the Toyota Highlander or the Honda Pilot. The Dodge Journey seems to be the most reasonable for price and what you get in mpg and options.

The Pilot doesn't deliver on the gas mileage they claim, not sure about the others. I know two people that have the Honda Pilot and my 2007 Tahoe gets the same gas mileage as they do.

As far as the SUV/mini-van question, I prefer SUV's, but it's basically a question you have to answer for yourself.

Return to Top
#1548626 - 05/10/11 01:37 PM Re: SUV? Van? StarryNight
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: StarryNight
Love, love my Dodge Journey, it is technically a "crossover". It averages 21-23 mpg, has 3rd row seating, removable coolers in the floor (I love them for grocery shopping, hubby wishes he could fill them with beer!), waterbottle cooler in the dash, pop out always charged flashlight in the back, "regular" plug in outlet, extra rearview mirror (one for kids - one for road), for like $500 bucks more i could have added the bluetooth and dvd options, probably should have, still plan to one of these days. i love all the fun options plus it drives great and is comfortable to ride in!

Those sounds like some pretty cool features.

Return to Top
#1548629 - 05/10/11 01:41 PM Re: SUV? Van? MB Guy
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Having a regular 110 outlet in the back seat is awesome. Our F150 has it, and we were able to use out laptop to watch movies, etc. I'm still jealous of all the other features, though!

Return to Top
#1548849 - 05/10/11 04:51 PM Re: SUV? Van? Pup
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I have a 2007 Ford Edge. Went from a car to this and like feeling higher, especially on the highway with so many trucks on the road. I really like the crossovers because you feel like you are driving a car but yet you are higher and can see out better like the SUV. My dream car is the Lexus RX series, but will probably never get one. :-( Got 33 mpg on my old car but only 15/24 on my Edge. Which is the only thing I have against it.

Return to Top
#1548984 - 05/10/11 06:20 PM Re: SUV? Van? MB Guy
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA

Those sounds like some pretty cool features.

Love them smile The "coolers" can also double as storage for toys or whatever you want to shash in there. There is also a storage bin in the seat of the front pasenger. Lots of places to hide your junk if you need to clean up your car real quick! smile

Edit: Maybe I should rephrase that. The storage is in the front passenger seat, not the seat of the front passenger! Enough said!
Last edited by StarryNight; 05/10/11 06:23 PM.
Return to Top
#1548987 - 05/10/11 06:22 PM Re: SUV? Van? Pup
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Originally Posted By: Pup
Having a regular 110 outlet in the back seat is awesome. Our F150 has it, and we were able to use out laptop to watch movies, etc. I'm still jealous of all the other features, though!

I love the 110 outlet too! Didn't know the F150s had those, that is what my husband wants to buy to replace his Toyota. Makes it handy to charge my cell phone too, I can use the wall charger instead of paying the extra $30 for a car charger!

Return to Top
#1548999 - 05/10/11 06:27 PM Re: SUV? Van? StarryNight
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Just fyi, most of today's cell phone chargers have a USB-port type of connection that you can use with a generic plug in bought at Walmart for like $10 that will charge nearly any kind of cell phone.

Return to Top
#1549149 - 05/10/11 08:26 PM Re: SUV? Van? MB Guy
EB, CAMS Offline
100 Club
EB, CAMS
flyover country
I had an expedition, but with gas prices where they are, I couldn't stomach the price tag to fill it up every week. So I traded it in for an 06 Odyssey and I love it! I liked my expedition too, but the van drives much nicer and is quieter.

I suppose it is all just preference.

Return to Top
#1549198 - 05/10/11 09:02 PM Re: SUV? Van? MB Guy
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Just fyi, most of today's cell phone chargers have a USB-port type of connection that you can use with a generic plug in bought at Walmart for like $10 that will charge nearly any kind of cell phone.

Now you tell me! wink

Return to Top
#1549227 - 05/10/11 09:53 PM Re: SUV? Van? StarryNight
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Originally Posted By: Pup

I love the 110 outlet too! Didn't know the F150s had those, that is what my husband wants to buy to replace his Toyota. Makes it handy to charge my cell phone too, I can use the wall charger instead of paying the extra $30 for a car charger!

We got the King Ranch, and it was with that package. The other one that we looked at didn't have the 110 plug. FYI.

Yeah, you can also charge it with the USB on the stereo.

Return to Top
#1549247 - 05/10/11 11:08 PM Re: SUV? Van? Pup
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
So I went and test drove a Dodge Journey while the oil was changed in my vehicle (yes I take my GMC to a Dodge Dealer, we have a really good friend that works there). I loved it! I drove the 2010 and the 2011. I liked the 2011 better, it drove better and gets better mpg. Now I just have to convince my hubby that we need to trade in my Yukon and buy a brand new vehicle. We'll see how that goes..... smile

Return to Top
#1549343 - 05/11/11 01:45 PM Re: SUV? Van? Dip
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
Originally Posted By: Dip
We fit 8 people in our SUV.

Do you have a moinster one, like a Suburban or something? I'm talkign abotu the SUVs that most people drive (at least around here). Toyota SUVs, Lexus SUVs... all have 2 seats in Front and 3 in back. Monster SUVs are a whoel nother story. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to drive something that donky (large).

Our 2007 Honda Pilot seats 8 and it is not a monster. Smaller than a Suburban and about the same length as my dad's old Dodge Caravan (doesn't seem as wide as the van though). Unfortunately the mileage sucks (literally and figuratively) LOL

Return to Top
#1549481 - 05/11/11 03:45 PM Re: SUV? Van? madukes
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora for sale with only 34,044 miles. Loaded with new battery and just changed the oil. It was my mom's car. Great car and great MPG. Come see me!

Return to Top
#1549657 - 05/11/11 07:05 PM Re: SUV? Van? JustMe!
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
Originally Posted By: JustMe!
So I went and test drove a Dodge Journey while the oil was changed in my vehicle (yes I take my GMC to a Dodge Dealer, we have a really good friend that works there). I loved it! I drove the 2010 and the 2011. I liked the 2011 better, it drove better and gets better mpg. Now I just have to convince my hubby that we need to trade in my Yukon and buy a brand new vehicle. We'll see how that goes..... smile

Good luck! I hope it works out for you. I love my Journey smile I have a 2010, bought it brand new, and still love it!
Last edited by StarryNight; 05/11/11 07:06 PM.
Return to Top
#1549674 - 05/11/11 07:19 PM Re: SUV? Van? StarryNight
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Go 4 It Granny...I'm recommending the new 2011 Nissan Quest...loaded...you liked it when we traveled in it to a deposit compliance seminar....

Guess who?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3