Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1549279 - 05/11/11 12:15 PM Annual Training
CUCO Offline
Is there a requirement for annual training on the SAFE Act?

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#1549391 - 05/11/11 02:23 PM Re: Annual Training CUCO
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
The regulation does not discuss a frequency of training. You would conduct the initial training prior to registering existing employees. You would also need to train any future new hires or existing employees who transfer into positions that meet the MLO definition and who will need to register. Section ___.104(b) states the following:

(b) Require that all employees of the bank who are mortgage loan originators be informed of the registration requirements of the S.A.F.E. Act and this subpart and be instructed on how to comply with such requirements and procedures;

Return to Top
#1549664 - 05/11/11 07:13 PM Re: Annual Training Reads Regs
Orrsislander Offline
100 Club
Orrsislander
So NO additional hours of training are required other than the initial training? How about subsequent annual training? If it's not mentioned then I assume there is none required!?

Return to Top
#1549702 - 05/11/11 07:45 PM Re: Annual Training Orrsislander
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
If so, it will be a requirement at your state level.

Return to Top
#1549781 - 05/11/11 09:06 PM Re: Annual Training Orrsislander
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
My answer above related to entities subject to federal registration. If you work for a company that is subject to the state licensing requirements, then there are continuing education requirements. See these links. http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsyste...ion%20Hours.pdf

http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/profreq/Pages/FAQ.aspx#education

Return to Top
#1561390 - 06/07/11 02:46 PM Re: Annual Training Reads Regs
ruby2727 Offline
New Poster
Since we are an FDIC regulated bank, our employees are being registered, not licensed. We plan to train our employees about the requirements of registration, when to use their unique identifier, etc - is that what you mean by "initial training" for registered MLOs?

I just wanted to be sure you weren't referring to any additional training requirements prior to registering that I might have overlooked. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1572182 - 06/30/11 02:47 PM Re: Annual Training ruby2727
EJB Offline
Out west in credit union land
They're specific about renewals in the final rule published today:

§ 3400.107 Minimum annual license renewal requirements. For an individual to be eligible to renew a loan originator license as required under § 3400.103(f), a state must require the individual:
(a)(1) To continue to meet the minimum standards for license issuance provided in § 3400.105; and
(2) To satisfy annual continuing education requirements, which must include at least 8 hours of education approved by the NMLSR. The 8 hours of annual continuing education must include at least:
(i) 3 hours of Federal law and regulations;
(ii) 2 hours of ethics (including instruction on fraud, consumer
protection, and fair lending issues); and
(iii) 2 hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace.

Here is a link to the final rule. The information above is on page 34.

http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/PDFgate.cgi?WAISdocID=X8H6BV/0/2/0&WAISaction=retrieve
Last edited by EJB; 06/30/11 02:50 PM.

Return to Top
#1572215 - 06/30/11 03:06 PM Re: Annual Training EJB
mtngrrl Offline
Gold Star
mtngrrl
Northern California
Originally Posted By: EJB

§ 3400.107 Minimum annual license renewal requirements. For an individual to be eligible to renew a loan originator license as required under § 3400.103(f), a state must require the individual:

These are requirements for state-licensed originators, not for federally registered originators. FDIC banks don't have the education requirements, since our MLOs are just registered, not licensed.

Return to Top
#1573620 - 07/05/11 02:48 PM Re: Annual Training mtngrrl
EJB Offline
Out west in credit union land
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, mtngrrl. Sorry, anybody, for any undue heartburn!

Return to Top
#1701610 - 05/21/12 03:46 PM Re: Annual Training EJB
Sci_Comply Offline
100 Club
Sci_Comply
Originally Posted By: EJB

(a)(1) To continue to meet the minimum standards for license issuance provided in § 3400.105; and
(2) To satisfy annual continuing education requirements, which must include at least 8 hours of education approved by the NMLSR. The 8 hours of annual continuing education must include at least:
(i) 3 hours of Federal law and regulations;
(ii) 2 hours of ethics (including instruction on fraud, consumer
protection, and fair lending issues); and
(iii) 2 hours of training related to lending standards for the nontraditional mortgage product marketplace.

Can this continuing ed be in-house training? Do they have to be accredited continuing ed courses? We've been getting a lot of spam emails telling us about their training programs that will satisfy the 8 hours of continuing ed training. Just curious. Thank you!

Return to Top
#1701925 - 05/22/12 01:25 PM Re: Annual Training CUCO
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Sci -- Check out the date of the EJB post you have quoted, and note that the training requirements in the cited regulation applied only to state-licensed (not federally-supervised financial institution registered) MLOs.

Note also that those regulation are no longer the province of HUD; they have been ported over to the Bureau, where you'll find them at 12 CFR Part 1008. The Bureau, by the way, is considering imposing an annual "appropriate training" requirement on registered MLOs in connection with its implementation of TILA amendments made by the DFA.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1702345 - 05/23/12 02:09 PM Re: Annual Training CUCO
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
we don't have any that are "state licensed" -- but I'm pretty sure that "must include at least 8 hours of education approved by the NMLSR" means exactly what it says.

If your institution already has a course or your training program vendor has a course that is approved by the NMLSR, then it would be okay -- otherwise, I think you are going to have to find someone else that would meet that standard.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett