Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1548655 - 05/10/11 02:25 PM Dormant Outstanding Official Checks
Midnight Offline
Midnight
Upper Mid West
I am trying to determine what other banks are doing with their outstanding dormant official checks BEFORE they are escheated to the state.

Do you try and clear any checks with customers prior to the escheat process?

Example: Customer buys Cashiers check with funds from their checking account with your bank. Years go by and customer has not cashed the check, do you attempt to contact the customer prior to escheating to the state? OR do you just let it go back to the state because it's their problem not your?

Return to Top
Audit
#1549139 - 05/10/11 08:12 PM Re: Dormant Outstanding Official Checks Midnight
kiemo Offline
Gold Star
kiemo
MidUS
You will want to refer to your specific State Law requirements for unclaimed property. Official bank checks must be escheated after three years...Often there are state due diligence requirements to be met by a f.i. months before the report is due.

Return to Top
#1549623 - 05/11/11 06:22 PM Re: Dormant Outstanding Official Checks kiemo
KYWoman Offline
Kentucky
In Kentucky - examiner's had me write to the customer's with a form they could mail back, stating "I have this check in my possession and do not wish to cash it at this time". That allowed me to not escheat the check and I wouldn't have to contact the customer for another three years. I try to locate as many of these people as possible. We have quite a few customers that keep cashier's checks for years. The letters prompted some customers to cash in their checks or have a new check issued.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z