Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Reply Thread Options
#1529638 - 03/31/11 05:28 PM curing tolerance violations on the HUD
Anonymous
Unregistered

If there is a tolerance violation on a HUD-1A how should the cure be reflected? Just to make it simple for discussion purposes ..if a title examination fee is actually $350 but $250 was listed on the GFE, the bank will pay $100 to cure the tolerance violation. What should be listed in the HUD-1A column on page 3? Should it be the total charge for the service ($350) or should it be what the customer is responsible for paying ($250)? Either way the $100 will be shown on page 1 as POC to meet tolerance.

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1529650 - 03/31/11 05:38 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You show the actual cost ($350) or you won't have a violation to cure.

#1529927 - 03/31/11 08:22 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Truffle Royale
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your response! That was my thoughts; however, someone in my bank pointed out the following from the RESPA FAQ's from HUD (section 4 & 5 #9)

Q: How is a potential tolerance violation that is corrected by the lender shown on the HUD-1?
A: The settlement agent must prepare a revised HUD-1 that states the actual charges paid by the borrower and seller. If the lender pays for a portion of a charge to cure a potential tolerance violation, the amounts for the charge shown on page 2 of the HUD-1 must be corrected to show the actual amount charged to the borrower. The settlement agent should include on a blank line in the applicable series a notation that the lender has made a P.O.C. payment of a specified amount to correct a potential tolerance violation. After the revised HUD-1 has been prepared by the settlement agent, the settlement agent must provide the revised HUD-1 to the borrower, the lender, and the seller as appropriate.

#1530253 - 04/01/11 03:10 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The Q&A being referenced gives an alternative on how you show the cure on Page 2 of the HUD. The Comparison Chart on Page 3 would show the actual figures. HUD Column $350 GFE Column $250.

#1553791 - 05/19/11 04:27 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Dan Persfull
Anonymous
Unregistered

So on the 3rd page of the HUD your tolerance percentage will still show out even though you have corrected it in line 204 of the HUD?

#1553911 - 05/19/11 06:54 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Yes. The credit entry shows the required cure on page 3 has been processed.

#1553947 - 05/19/11 07:26 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Dan Persfull
Anonymous
Unregistered

At our bank we insert the credit on the HUD side of the comparison chart

#1554031 - 05/19/11 08:28 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Then you are not following the required guidance in the FAQs.

#1554082 - 05/19/11 09:54 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Dan Persfull
Anonymous
Unregistered

What FAQ would that be?

#1554133 - 05/20/11 02:02 AM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

#1554430 - 05/20/11 03:12 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Dan Persfull
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am famiiar with the FAQ's but don't see a specific rule that would prohibit inserting the credit to bring the comparison chart back to 10% after the cure is given to the borrower

#1554437 - 05/20/11 03:16 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You need to review pages 41 through 43, in particular the Q&As and illustrations for disclosing the cure.

#1554802 - 05/20/11 06:41 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Dan Persfull
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Dan's right. HUD issued a FAQ on 4/12/10 that clarified the cure is no longer to be listed in the "tolerance buckets". The FAQs originally indicated a credit was listed there and they they removed this wording and indicated it should only be in the 200s.

#1554860 - 05/20/11 07:10 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD David Dickinson
Anonymous
Unregistered

The $ amount to cure is listed in the 200 section but in addition, a credit amount is shown in the HUD column of the comparison chart labeled as "amount to cure tolerance violation" and this brings the "Increase between GFE & HUD-1 charges" section back to the allowable 10%. It may not be necessary but is it prohibited?

#1554951 - 05/20/11 08:04 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cured our violation in the 200 section but was unable to find anywhere in our loan processing software to "credit an amount to the comparison charges back to a 10% tolerance" therefore in my case the tolerance still showed the 12.0060 on the 3rd page but on the first page there is a $29.13 10% tolerance cure in line 204. Is this correct?

#1555306 - 05/23/11 03:17 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Yes, anon directly above, that is the correct way to show the cure. p3 should not be changed to no longer show the need for a cure. If you did, how would anyone know why you gave the credit and if it's correct?

#1555414 - 05/23/11 04:35 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Truffle Royale
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone would know why the credit was given because it is labeled "amount to cure tolerance violation" and someone would know it is the correct amount because the tolerance is now at 10%. I think my question has been answered, thanks everyone

#1555561 - 05/23/11 08:12 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Truffle Royale
Anonymous
Unregistered

What if your Title Company is making the change and showing the cure on HUD-1 page 3 as a negative figure? Can we insist it is wrong and refuse the HUD-1 until they correct it?

We won't send them a TIL until we have our HUD-1, which was put into place to force the title company to send us a HUD before closing or to insure we have it 24 hours in advance. So I think we would have leverage to force the issue. Thing is we were just audited and examined in the past 6 months and no one brought it up as an issue. Not to say they won't at some point in the future.

#1559199 - 06/01/11 06:24 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD David Dickinson
BAL
Unregistered

FAQ on 4/12/10? Can you please site exactly?

#1559212 - 06/01/11 06:31 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

#1559224 - 06/01/11 06:39 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Someone would know why the credit was given because it is labeled "amount to cure tolerance violation" and someone would know it is the correct amount because the tolerance is now at 10%. I think my question has been answered, thanks everyone

You have to 'show your work' just like you did on your math homework in school.
The HUD must show both the error and the cure.
If you remove it from p3 there is nothing to cure and no calculations can be done.
So you enter the figures from the last GFE in the GFE column on p3 and the actual costs in the HUD column. If the line that reads Increase between GFE and HUD-1 charges ends up more than 10%, you cure on p 1.

#1559239 - 06/01/11 06:57 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Dan Persfull
BAL
Unregistered

Yes, I understand where to find the FAQs. But he notes 4/12/10 not 4/2/2010. Last known FAQs I'm aware of are from 4/2/2010. In order to be on the same page, I was hoping to have either a direct link or confirmation he meant FAQs from 4/2/10 and if so what page and question number does he see "tolerance buckets" noted?

#1559242 - 06/01/11 07:00 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's a typo. The last FAQ was 4/2/10. As Dan said back a few posts ago, read pages 41-43 regarding showing the cure properly.

#1560225 - 06/03/11 02:59 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Truffle Royale
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you don't show the credit on the comparison chart to bring the tolerance to within the 10% allowable how will an auditor know you gave the correct dollar amount on page 1? Putting the credit on page 1 is only showing half of "your work". I am meeting the RESPA requirement of refunding the dollar amount over the 10 % allowed but is it really a violation to show the credit on page 3?

#1560250 - 06/03/11 03:21 PM Re: curing tolerance violations on the HUD Anonymous
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I guess that is a question you will have to refer to your examining body then on how they will view your approach.

Besides HUD directing you to cure in this fashion, you also have three other RESPA experts opining the same, and I will tack on with them... the cure for the 10% violation should be shown on page one of the HUD in the 200 series.

If you wish to disclose differently than directed by the appendix and FAQs, just be ready and armed to defend your reasoning. Personally, at this point and with all of the other battles to fight out there, this isn't one I'd be willing to lock horns with my examiners over. JMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale