Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1555319 - 05/23/11 03:23 PM Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
We (the bank) will do a transfer from a customer's savings to cover would be NSF items in a their checking account. This is done via a keyboard transfer in our core system. This is done by the bank - not directed by the customer. We figure its for their benefit because it saves them the NSF fees.

My question is this: Would this type of transfer count towards the 6 limit on savings accounts? It isn't an automatic OD protection transfer or done via phone/internet at the customer's request...both of which I would count towards the 6 limit. Does it make a difference if we use paper tickets to make the transfers?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1555478 - 05/23/11 06:05 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs AuditorK
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Yes, this counts toward the 6 limit. If the customer comes in to the bank and makes the transfer in person, then it would not count.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1555517 - 05/23/11 06:44 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs waldensouth
WHAT ?!?! Offline
WHAT ?!?!
We were told the same thing by the FRB. They also agreed it goes against the thinking for the OD guidance coming in July.

Return to Top
#1555540 - 05/23/11 07:18 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs WHAT ?!?!
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Some at my bank feel that if we begin using tickets to do the transfers from savings to checking instead of electronic keyboard transfer, it will be coded as a "withdrawal" instead of a "transfer". Only transfers are tracked and reported on the Excess Transaction Report. If they don't flag on the report, then no violation of Reg D.

In my opinion, this is sidestepping the regulation (creating a process that gets desired results) and will result in a violation if found.

Return to Top
#1555652 - 05/23/11 11:40 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs AuditorK
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A blatent disregard for the transfer limitations may result in the reclassification of your whole savings portfolio into transaction accounts and make them subject to back payment of reserves, since this is totally due to actions by the bank and not the customer.

"This is done by the bank - not directed by the customer."

Also, without some sort of agreement with the customer, under what authority are you doing this? Are you really claiming your right of offset in each of these instances?

Return to Top
#1556032 - 05/24/11 07:02 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs AuditorK
Compliance4521 Offline
Platinum Poster
Compliance4521
Washington
I do not beleive 'linked savings' account are included in the definition of OD Payment Programs. Technically, if funds are transferred from savings accounts, the checking account is not overdrawn.

Return to Top
#1556221 - 05/25/11 11:08 AM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs Compliance4521
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The question here isn't whether or not the account was overdrawn, it's whether the transfers from savings to prevent it from going overdrawn are countable against the Regulation D limit of 6 per month. The answer: Yes.

The fact that the bank is making those transfers via paper tickets to change the apparent nature of the transfers is only putting rouge and lipstick on the pig.

And absent any instruction from your customer to make those transfers, I share Randy's concern that the bank is likely causing more trouble that it realizes.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1556228 - 05/25/11 11:51 AM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs AuditorK
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I could readily analyze the issue of employees taking the initiative to help reduce the bank's fee income a bit more sharply, but will simply agree with John & Randy instead. First, the transfer counts. Second, if the customer did not request it in writing, you have no right to do it.

Return to Top
#1556249 - 05/25/11 12:47 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs Elwood P. Dowd
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Thanks everyone! Now I know my way of thinking isn't out in left field since the other responses match mine. Now on to convince Senior Management...

Return to Top
#1556287 - 05/25/11 01:39 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs AuditorK
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
AuditorK, one solution to this problem of transfers not directed by the customer you should consider is informing your business unit they may make the transfer only at the request of the customer. Meaning, they may call the customer then get consent to transfer, but just not transfer as they see fit.

Return to Top
#1556330 - 05/25/11 02:24 PM Re: Excess transactions & transfers to cover NSFs Bob The Banker
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Agreed. That's one of the suggestions I have made. At least get a verbal OK from the customer over the phone.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett