Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1556355 - 05/25/11 02:40 PM Kindle for Kids???
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
My 10 year old granddaughter is an avid reader. I'm constantly buying her books (I'm NOT complaining - I'm an avid reader also!) but am considering buying her a Kindle for Christmas. She will be 11 years old less than 2 weeks after Christmas.

My question: Has anyone bought someone that young a Kindle of their own? What reasons, if any, should I consider before buying one?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1556365 - 05/25/11 02:48 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Bagweaver
Y'all Comply Offline
100 Club
Y'all Comply
Land of Pears
I am thinking of getting my son one for his 9th birthday. He is an avid reader as well. He takes good care of his other electronics (DSi, iPod) so I have no dobut that he would take care of a kindle.

FKA Jenabq

Return to Top
#1556399 - 05/25/11 03:19 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Y'all Comply
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
My 14 yr old stepdaughter has one. Only issues are if she leaves it laying around and the other kids want to play with it. If your child is responsible and can be trusted with an expensive device, then go for it. Also, set up rules on purchasing books, games, etc. so they don't purchase something without permission be it for content or price.

Return to Top
#1556418 - 05/25/11 03:37 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Dani York, CRCM
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Her purchases will be through me only.

My thought about buying future books for birthdays and Christmases - I'd have to have great timing for the new purchases to be surprises. That should be fun!

I want her parents to approve the purchase of the Kindle though. Her 6 year old brother is probably going to want one also. Both are good about taking care of their electronic toys. They know that if something happens to them due to their carelessness, they won't be allowed to get a replacement from ANYONE (meaning me, I think!).

Return to Top
#1556455 - 05/25/11 04:05 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Bagweaver
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Well, one thing to consider is that they have access to a lot of stuff and can download free content without your ever knowing about it. There are no filters on either nook or kindle to protect them from themselves or their friends who may wish to look at things you wouldn't want them to see. I know that Nook has web browsing capabilities - don't know about Kindle.

There are e-readers out there where you have to download via the computer on which you could have filters or at least limit availability.
Last edited by waldensouth; 05/25/11 04:06 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1556526 - 05/25/11 05:30 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? waldensouth
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Phooey!!! I guess I'll look at the kind I would have to down load for her. Any idea of the names of these readers? I hadn't heard of them.

Return to Top
#1556527 - 05/25/11 05:33 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Bagweaver
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I have (but don't use) Blio. It looks really good, but I don't have time to read anything but regulations right now!

Return to Top
#1556547 - 05/25/11 05:53 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Dani York, CRCM
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
google Ebook reader. There is an article there that compares all e-readers. Sony makes a good one.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1556560 - 05/25/11 06:01 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? waldensouth
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
I have a 12 year old, also an avid reader (like me). Many, many of his friends have Kindles or Nooks, and bring them to school all the time (which would make me uneasy). They all seem to love them.

My son, however, is "old school" like me and has no desire for an e-reader. He loves, as he puts it, that new book smell, and the feeling of cracking open a book.

Return to Top
#1556613 - 05/25/11 06:20 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? waldensouth
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Thanks!

Return to Top
#1556801 - 05/25/11 09:16 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Hoosierland
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Hoosierland
I have a 12 year old, also an avid reader (like me). Many, many of his friends have Kindles or Nooks, and bring them to school all the time (which would make me uneasy). They all seem to love them.

My son, however, is "old school" like me and has no desire for an e-reader. He loves, as he puts it, that new book smell, and the feeling of cracking open a book.

We're a lot alike in that regard. I even prefer paperbacks, not for the price, but for the size and weight of them, and the feel of opening it up.

Return to Top
#1556808 - 05/25/11 09:22 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? B_F
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I got over the need to feel the actual book in my hands within the first few chapters of the first book I read on my Kindle.

Bagweaver, is your granddaughter the type to take advantage? I know on the Kindle you can get access to the web (I've never done it) but it costs extra. Maybe just set some parameters for her (like no making purchases!)?

Return to Top
#1556879 - 05/26/11 12:24 AM Re: Kindle for Kids??? RR Sarah
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Sarah, Right now I'd trust her to do what she should do with the Kindle. However, she may not remain trustworthy. You know how some kids can stray from what they've been taught. I'm just not sure how she'll be in the future. I don't want to give it to her just to have to take it away from her. I'd rather not give it to her. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to think on it more. Talk with her parents more, too.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

Return to Top
#1557599 - 05/26/11 11:25 PM Re: Kindle for Kids??? Bagweaver
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
I would love to get my daughter a Nook but she is only 8 and I know better. LOL

Return to Top