Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1558406 - 05/31/11 02:21 PM Reg E Opt in
Karen L Offline
100 Club
Somewhere over the rainbow...
We didn't offer the opt-in last July but would like to now. I have conflicting references telling me that we could have a UDAP violation for offering this now and others telling me it's no problem. The Opt-in wasn't a 1-time offering so that doesn't make sense. Has anyone else offered the Opt-in after the initially offering? We don't have a formal OD program - just ad-hoc.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1558413 - 05/31/11 02:31 PM Re: Reg E Opt in Karen L
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By: Karen L
We don't have a formal OD program - just ad-hoc.

If you don't have a formal OD program, are you approving/authorizing ATM and one-time POS transactions into overdraft when no funds are available (prior to posting to the account)? If not, there is nothing for the customer to opt into except a fee.

There is no UDAP issue to offer at a later date than last July. However, make sure that if you didn't offer an opt-in, you also did not charge for any ODs caused by ATM and one-time POS transactions. If your system declines POA and ATM transactions when funds are not available, the customer would be opting into a service you don't offer. The potential UDAP I can see would be to solicit an opt-in for a service you don't offer.

Return to Top
#1562813 - 06/09/11 04:25 PM Re: Reg E Opt in Dani York, CRCM
CABCompliance Offline
100 Club
We just have an ad-hoc overdraft program as well. We are getting ready to offer the opt-in. Before, we did not approve/authorize transactions if no funds were available. Going forward, we will authorize/approve up to the certain dollar amount just on ATM and one-time debit card transactions if they opt-in.

Return to Top
#1562864 - 06/09/11 05:29 PM Re: Reg E Opt in CABCompliance
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Going forward, we will authorize/approve up to the certain dollar amount just on ATM and one-time debit card transactions if they opt-in.

IMHO - I think that means that you have a OD program and you are going to have to meet all the OD guidance, not just the opt-in piece in Regulation E.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett