Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1564416 - 06/14/11 02:21 PM Reporting to Credit Bureau
Game On Offline
Platinum Poster
Marietta, GA
We had a speaker from a credit bureau this morning and she was reviewing some of the changes to the RBP notice and Alternate RBP notice. She also decided to reveiw SCRA rules because one of their banks was in court for reporting past due payments to the credit reporting agency. I questioned this and she said we can report after they are no longer protected.

My understanding was that if the customer chose not to pay while they were on active duty we could still report non-payment. The protection was for actions such as foreclosure, judgements, etc.

Could someone tell me when this changed and where it is cited?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#1564446 - 06/14/11 03:02 PM Re: Reporting to Credit Bureau Game On
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Have your CRA rep give you the appropriate cite since this is her opinion. The SCRA does not relieve the service member of their legal obligation to repay the loan nor does it anywhere I'm aware of prohibits reporting a past due account to the CRAs.

Return to Top
#1564829 - 06/14/11 08:50 PM Re: Reporting to Credit Bureau Dan Persfull
Game On Offline
Platinum Poster
Marietta, GA
Thanks! I really think there is more to this story if he actually has a case.
I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something that was tucked away in another reg (Like the SCRA open end change in term issue last year).

Return to Top
#1565560 - 06/15/11 09:50 PM Re: Reporting to Credit Bureau Game On
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I have had bankers tell me their state law prohibits past due credit reporting of delinquent accounts, but I've not read any of those laws and don't recall the states. The SCRA doesn't say you can't. If your customer is a career soldier, they could be "non-reportable" for 20+ years.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z