Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1564667 - 06/14/11 06:01 PM Certifications
Banker Offline
100 Club
Southeastern US
I have been working in internal audit for about 3 years now. I also help out in the compliance area although I am not a Compliance Officer. I currently have no certifications in audit or compliance (just a Bachelor's degree in Financial Management). I am at the point that I would like to look into additional education/certification. There are so many to consider. Which do you all consider most helpful in your job as well as looking good to examiners, on a resume, etc?

Return to Top
Audit
#1564699 - 06/14/11 06:32 PM Re: Certifications Banker
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
The most useful on a resume would be your CPA. After your CPA go get your Certified Internal Auditor.

Return to Top
#1564714 - 06/14/11 06:42 PM Re: Certifications osucpa
A_G Offline
10K Club
Though, keep in mind that the CPA is a license and the requirements to be able to sit for the exam are more strict. For example, you need a X number of hours in certain areas of course study.

If you plan to stick with internal audit, the examiners love to see you have the CIA certification.

Return to Top
#1564840 - 06/14/11 09:11 PM Re: Certifications A_G
JustMe! Offline
Gold Star
wishful thinking ...
You can also get a certification through ICBA (Independent Community Bankers of America). The Certification is a Certified Community Bank Internal Auditor (CCBIA). It is two weeks classes along with a total of 6 tests that you take during the two weeks. The examiners that we have had seem to be happy that our auditors have this certification. I thought that the two weeks of classes were very helpful. You can either take both weeks at the same time or you can split them up as long as you take both weeks within one year. They are offer the classes in the Spring in Kansas City, MO and in the Fall in Minneapolis, MN. I have had the certification for almost 6 years and my staff are all required to receive the certification.

Return to Top
#1564971 - 06/15/11 01:00 PM Re: Certifications JustMe!
Tater Offline
Platinum Poster
Missouri
The ICBA class is an exceptional one...around my bank, we have a Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Compliance Officer and Certified BSA/AML Professional. The CPE isn't that bad and they do a good job of having timely issues presented at their conferences.

Loan Review, HMDA, ALLL

Opinions are my own and do not reflect any others

Return to Top
#1565067 - 06/15/11 02:41 PM Re: Certifications Tater
Banker Offline
100 Club
Southeastern US
So, I have decided to study and take the CIA exam. Does anyone have any particular tips for me? I am thinking of purchasing the Gleim test prep. How much study time do I need to budget for myself before I plan to take the test?

Return to Top
#1565907 - 06/16/11 05:26 PM Re: Certifications Banker
jennybecky Offline
New Poster
Part 1 and Part 2 didn't take long for me (studied 2 months for each), but I am going on over a year of studying and taking part 3...getting ready to take it again, hoping third time's a charm. There is SO much material on part 3 compared to 1 and 2. I have no idea for part 4...not there yet smile

Gleim was helpful on 1 and 2. But wasn't on 3 for me. I took the IIA course at a university and have their online study access. I increased 150 points between using gleim for one and the online study (iia) for the second attempt but still didn't pass. We'll see! Best of luck!!

Return to Top
#1567368 - 06/21/11 02:49 AM Re: Certifications Banker
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Check out your local IIA chapter. If you're not a member, join. You'll meet a lot of great people and get a lot of good advice [and contacts]. Many chapters have review programs and some have the books available either at a reduced rate, or in their library.

Experience helps out a lot, especially of your shop is well run. Read the Gleim, and picture how your department does things. If there is a good match, thinking through some of the problems will be a lot easier rather than just memorizing words.

Return to Top
#1568006 - 06/22/11 01:05 PM Re: Certifications Rocky P
DerrickAuditor Offline
USA
We have a multi-person audit shop and I like for my auditors to have some diversity of certifications. We have 2 CPAs, 1 CIA, 1 CISA (IT auditor cert), and 1 CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner). So, when assigning audits, I can assign the right person based on their experience/expertise. For a small 1 or 2 person audit shop, I'd recommend CIA or CPA as mentioned above as these certifications cover broad topics.

Best wishes on your studies.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z