Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1567086 - 06/20/11 05:49 PM Fee Change Notice
Anonymous
Unregistered

If someone could offer clarification I would appreciate it.

Bank management is considering increasing deposit account fees including ATM and overdraft fees. They do not believe this requires notice to the customer. I disagree in that this will be an adverse change in the fees required to be disclosed. Management's stance is that only maintenance fees require subsequent disclosre if there is an adverse change. I believe Reg DD Commentary on 230.4(b) says otherwise.

Am I missing something here? Please let me know if I am reading this incorrectly. If notice is required how are other banks providing notice (i.e. stmt messages, stuffers, etc)?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1567102 - 06/20/11 06:07 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
If someone could offer clarification I would appreciate it.

Bank management is considering increasing deposit account fees including ATM and overdraft fees. They do not believe this requires notice to the customer. I disagree in that this will be an adverse change in the fees required to be disclosed. Management's stance is that only maintenance fees require subsequent disclosre if there is an adverse change. I believe Reg DD Commentary on 230.4(b) says otherwise.

Am I missing something here? Please let me know if I am reading this incorrectly. If notice is required how are other banks providing notice (i.e. stmt messages, stuffers, etc)?

This arugument should be a slam-dunk for you with that statement. Just quote the regulation:

Regulation DD Sec. 230.5 Subsequent disclosures:
Quote:
(a) Change in terms--(1) Advance notice required. A depository institution shall give advance notice to affected consumers of any change in a term required to be disclosed under Sec. 230.4(b) of this part if the change may reduce the annual percentage yield or adversely affect the consumer. The notice shall include the effective date of the change. The notice shall be mailed or delivered at least 30 calendar days before the effective date of the change.
(2) No notice required. No notice under this section is required for:
(i) Variable-rate changes. Changes in the interest rate and corresponding changes in the annual percentage yield in variable-rate accounts.
(ii) Check printing fees. Changes in fees assessed for check printing.
(iii) Short-term time accounts. Changes in any term for time accounts with maturities of one month or less.

So let's look at Regulation DD Sec. 230.4 Account disclosures...
Quote:

(b) Content of account disclosures. Account disclosures shall include the following, as applicable:

(4) Fees. The amount of any fee that may be imposed in connection with the account (or an explanation of how the fee will be determined) and the conditions under which the fee may be imposed.

With this being said, what types of ATM fees are you talking about? A fee you assess to your customers for using another bank's ATM? That would need 30 days notice. However if it is the fee you charge someone from another bank to use your ATM does not need 30 days notice.

#1567105 - 06/20/11 06:11 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
Actually, if you were to pull the commentary, both of the fees you mentioned are actually mentioned as examples! No arguement around it:

Regulation DD Supplement I to Part 230—Official Staff Interpretations, Sec. 230.4 - Account disclosures:
Quote:

(b)(4) Fees

1. Covered fees. The following are types of fees that must be disclosed:

i. Maintenance fees, such as monthly service fees

ii. Fees to open or to close an account

iii. Fees related to deposits or withdrawals, such as fees for use of the institution's ATMs

iv. Fees for special services, such as stop-payment fees, fees for balance inquiries or verification of deposits, fees associated with checks returned unpaid, and fees for regularly sending to consumers checks that otherwise would be held by the institution

2. Other fees. Institutions need not disclose fees such as the following:

i. Fees for services offered to account and nonaccount holders alike, such as travelers checks and wire transfers (even if different amounts are charged to account and nonaccount holders)

ii. Incidental fees, such as fees associated with state escheat laws, garnishment or attorneys fees, and fees for photocopying

3. Amount of fees. Institutions must state the amount and conditions under which a fee may be imposed. Naming and describing the fee (such as “$4.00 monthly service fee”) will typically satisfy these requirements.

4. Tied-accounts. Institutions must state if fees that may be assessed against an account are tied to other accounts at the institution. For example, if an institution ties the fees payable on a NOW account to balances held in the NOW account and a savings account, the NOW account disclosures must state that fact and explain how the fee is determined.

5. Fees for overdrawing an account. Under §230.4(b)(4) of this part, institutions must disclose the conditions under which a fee may be imposed. In satisfying this requirement institutions must specify the categories of transactions for which an overdraft fee may be imposed. An exhaustive list of transactions is not required. It is sufficient for an institution to state that the fee applies to overdrafts “created by check, in-person withdrawal, ATM withdrawal, or other electronic means,” as applicable. Disclosing a fee “for overdraft items” would not be sufficient.

#1567109 - 06/20/11 06:17 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Bob The Banker
Sugarbaker Offline
Gold Star
Thanks Bob. I'm glad to know I'm on the right track.

Do you think a statement message would work for providing notice?

#1567132 - 06/20/11 06:52 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Sugarbaker
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
A statement is fine and generally the most cost effective way to notice deposit clients of pending changes. If the changes affect another group, such as savings account clients, you must notify them as well. That can be by statement message, direct mail or electronic message if consumers have opted in to receive their notices in that manner.

#1571678 - 06/29/11 06:53 PM Re: Fee Change Notice BrendaC
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
Would it be acceptable to use an insert that has all the fees listed including changed fees without coming out and saying these fees have changed? Or must you specifically say, THESE FEES HAVE CHANGED?
Last edited by Bec; 06/29/11 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling

#1571802 - 06/29/11 08:03 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Bec
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
bump
(a) Change in terms

(a)(1) Advance notice required

1. Form of notice. Institutions may provide a change-in-term notice on or with a periodic statement or in another mailing. If an institution provides notice through revised account disclosures, the changed term must be highlighted in some manner. For example, institutions may note that a particular fee has been changed (also specifying the new amount) or use an accompanying letter that refers to the changed term.

2. Effective date. An example of language for disclosing the effective date of a change is “As of November 21, 1994.”

Could this be that I have found my answer??? So what I am interpreting by this is that we have to highlight somehow the changed term? We can't just "get away" with giving them a fee schedule with the new fees. What if we gave the customer a fee schedule with an "effective date" and no other mention of changed fees. Can anyone opine on that one?
Last edited by Bec; 06/29/11 09:31 PM.

#1650308 - 01/12/12 07:26 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
fslic banker Offline
100 Club
Could a guru or deposit ops expert weigh in here because I have the same question as Bec. From reading past posts on this subject, I do not think it's acceptable to just send a new fee schedule in our monthly statements if 3 out of 10 fees will be changing. I think we need to either mention only the fees that changed or provide a new fee schedule which highlights the changed fees.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

#1650397 - 01/12/12 08:22 PM Re: Fee Change Notice fslic banker
Cbecotte Offline
Massachusetts
I'm far from a guru, but the commentary to Reg DD says the following:

Section 230.5 Subsequent disclosures

(a) Change in terms

(a)(1) Advance notice required

1. Form of notice. Institutions may provide a change-in-term notice on or with a periodic statement or in another mailing. If an institution provides notice through revised account disclosures, the changed term must be highlighted in some manner. For example, institutions may note that a particular fee has been changed (also specifying the new amount) or use an accompanying letter that refers to the changed term.

#2015708 - 05/22/15 03:30 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
ktdean Offline
New Poster
Virginia
If a returned mail fee is added to the Service Charge Schedule, is a notice required to be given to the customer? Is this considered an account fee that adversely affects the customer? Other fees were increased; but they were not specific account related fees (i.e. collection fee, notary fee, reconcilement fee)so no notice was required for these fees? Correct? Thanks to anyone that can clarify this for me.

#2019163 - 06/09/15 03:06 AM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would the check printing fee changes cover charging for counter checks that were free in the past but will now be printed and a charge assessed?

#2050311 - 11/18/15 06:16 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Related to this same topic of re-disclosing ATM fees, would the bank be required to disclose if we stothe bank stops charging an ATM fee? An ATM fee that would charge our customers for using a non-bank ATM. My understanding is that we would only need to redisclose if it adversely affects the consumer. Is that correct?

#2157544 - 12/18/17 02:56 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
clinds Offline
Sorry to revive an old topic but my institution is updating/changing its fees. My question is we are going to set the effective date March 1 and send out the fee schedule to certain customers CDs/Safe Deposit/Loan with the privacy notice at year end. For savings/checkings we will include it on the statements that run between December 29, 2017 - January 31, 2018 to ensure the 30 days. The question is how do we inform the ones who open new accounts of this change that will not be effective at the time they open? If someone opens an account January 20,2018 or after January 31, 2018 the statement won't run for another month and the fees at that time are not in effect so how do we notify them 30 days prior?

#2157545 - 12/18/17 03:06 PM Re: Fee Change Notice clinds
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Not all disclosures have to be on the same piece of paper; e.g. you can hand a new customer a disclosure that says the overdraft fee is $28 and a second piece of paper that says "Effective XX/XX/XXXX the overdraft fee is $32.

Generally, there is no point in doing a TISA mailing to those who hold only time deposits or loans. Changes in deposit account fees are irrelevant to a borrower. Your bank can only amend the terms of a time deposit via its individual maturity notice.

#2227780 - 12/19/19 04:17 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do new Truth in Savings disclosures have to be included with the mailing or can it strictly be an updated fee schedule with the changes highlighted?

#2227784 - 12/19/19 04:35 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Section 1030.5--Subsequent Disclosures

(a) Change in terms.

(a)(1) Advance notice required.

#2291659 - 12/13/23 09:04 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Bob The Banker
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can a Credit Union place a Notice in Statements stating that there will be Increases on Fee Schedule effective 02/01/2024 and ca copy can be viewed online at www. ? Is this ok to do?

#2291660 - 12/13/23 09:16 PM Re: Fee Change Notice Anonymous
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
§ 707.5 Subsequent disclosures.

(a) Change in terms —

(1) Advance notice required. A credit union shall give advance notice to affected members of any change in a term required to be disclosed under § 707.4(b), if the change may reduce the annual percentage yield or adversely affect the member. The notice shall include the effective date of the change. The notice shall be mailed or delivered at least 30 calendar days before the effective date of the change.

If all of the impacted accounts will receive or be mailed a statement before 01/01/24 and your notice spells out the specific changes in the fees, yes. You cannot just say we are increasing our fees and refer them to a website.

#2291661 - 12/13/23 10:03 PM Re: Fee Change Notice rlcarey
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you!

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale