Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1562999 - 06/09/11 07:13 PM UPS Delivery Gone Wrong
CrookedVulture Offline
100 Club
We recently sent a loan package to a customer via UPS, which is a pretty common practice at our institution. We received the UPS confirmation of delivery (confirms the correct address - but delivery was dropped off at customer's front door as no one was home at the time), however the customer is claiming they never received the package.

What actions would your institution take with regard to the customer in this scenario?

A large part of me feels that we are not to blame here, as either UPS screwed up or the customer had something stolen off of their property. Therefore, we should recommend that the customer place a fraud alert with the CRAs, but do nothing more.

The other option is to purchase a year of credit monitoring for them at the bank's expense, even though I don't believe we erred at all in this instance. Chalk it up to the cost of doing business?

Any and all thoughts welcome.

Return to Top
Risk Management
#1563226 - 06/10/11 12:54 PM Re: UPS Delivery Gone Wrong CrookedVulture
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I would treat it as a case of possible ID theft. The customer should report the package missing to the local PD, as the bank, I would flag their accounts to ask for ID for OTC transactions. Also, I would tell them to get their free annual credit report as mandated by FACTA. IMHO.
Last edited by Deek, CRCM; 06/10/11 12:54 PM. Reason: add IMHO

Return to Top
#1563287 - 06/10/11 02:02 PM Re: UPS Delivery Gone Wrong Retired DQ
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I would also change my procedures to require signature on such sensitive packages.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1564648 - 06/14/11 05:44 PM Re: UPS Delivery Gone Wrong Kathleen O. Blanchard
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Offering them a year's free credit monitoring is standard practice here - it isn't very expensive and shows a true concern on the bank's part. I would offer that in addition to whatever other steps you take.

Return to Top
#1566640 - 06/17/11 06:21 PM Re: UPS Delivery Gone Wrong DEL
Bob The Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Bob The Banker
I feel it is 100% your bank's fault. Having a sensitive package like that just dropped off is completely irresponsible. As Kathleen mentioned, signature for delivery should aboslutely be required.

Return to Top
#1567145 - 06/20/11 07:07 PM Re: UPS Delivery Gone Wrong Bob The Banker
cheech Offline
100 Club
Chatsworh PA
Agree with Bob

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z