Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1567709 - 06/21/11 06:11 PM Dormant Accounts
Banker57 Offline
Gold Star
Minnesota
Wondering is anyone has information on Dormant account notices. Do they need to be in any special format and do they need to be sent separate? Or can they be in statement stuffer form included with the statement?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1567941 - 06/21/11 10:16 PM Re: Dormant Accounts Banker57
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The requirements for any notices would be found in your State's escheat laws. There is no Federal statute that governs this process.

Return to Top
#1568140 - 06/22/11 03:18 PM Re: Dormant Accounts rlcarey
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Does any one advise their customer either before an account goes into dormancy (thereby incurring dormant fees) or at the time that it goes into dormancy? Or is their first notification when they get the dormant fee charged against their account (usually finding out when the statement gets delivered)? I'm not aware of any requirement to do so, but wondering if others are doing it as a 'customer service'?

Return to Top
#1568148 - 06/22/11 03:23 PM Re: Dormant Accounts Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
In New Mexico, this is the only requirement to assess a fee:

Chap. 7, §7-8A-4.

Dormancy charge.

A holder may deduct from property presumed abandoned a charge imposed by reason of the owner’s failure to claim the property within a specified time only if there is a valid and enforceable written contract between the holder and the owner under which the holder may impose the charge and the holder regularly imposes the charge, which is not regularly reversed or otherwise canceled. The amount of the deduction is limited to an amount that is not unconscionable.

In other States the requirements may be different, including pre-notification.

Return to Top
#1568154 - 06/22/11 03:28 PM Re: Dormant Accounts rlcarey
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We don't want dormant accounts and we can't charge very much - being limited by state law in GA to $5 per month during the 1st 12 months of dormancy. All you need to customer contact about the account to prevent it from being dormant. We send the customer a letter telling them it is about to go dormant and ask them if they want this to occur. If they sign the letter stating no and send it back - we can prevent the account from going dormant. IF they don't then it is truely dormant and we treat it as such.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett