Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1572783 - 07/01/11 12:19 AM Increasing ATM surcharges
JubileeAnne97 Offline
100 Club
Empire State
We would like to increase the surcharges on ATMs. Do we have to post a notice in advance? If advance notice is required by NYS Banking Law and/or federal law, Where can I find requirements pertaining to a fee charged at our ATM for non-customer/customer use, and what is the time frame for notifying the customer?

Return to Top
#1579452 - 07/18/11 07:17 PM Re: Increasing ATM surcharges JubileeAnne97
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Regardless of NYS law, you are required to provide at least 21 days notice to account holders of fee increases under Regulation E ยง205.8.

Return to Top
#1620985 - 10/27/11 04:25 PM Re: Increasing ATM surcharges J2C
Annonymoussss Offline
399-Y*2 - Automated teller machine fee disclosure.
399-Y-1 - Automated teller machines transaction denial; fees prohibited.

The above are the only NYS laws that I know of regarding ATM fees. No mention of change in terms notice. Only Reg E. However, make sure that you follow 399-Y2 above. This requires the fee amount to be posted physically on the ATM machine.

2. No automated teller machine operator shall impose a fee on a consumer using such machine, unless such operator: (a) provides notice as required by subdivision three of this section; and (b) the consumer elects to continue to effect a financial transaction after receiving such notice.
3. (a) The automated teller machine operator shall post a sign or warning in a prominent and conspicuous location on or at the automated teller machine at which the financial transaction is initiated by the consumer. Such sign shall clearly state: (i) that a fee is imposed for the use of such machine; and (ii) the amount of such fee.

Return to Top