Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1575698 - 07/08/11 06:00 PM concealed carry
justfriendlyme Offline
wisconsin, USA
Concealed Carry: This will be signed into law on Friday, July 8. While no specific class of business (like banks) will be specifically exempted from places a person may carry a concealed weapon, banks may post “No Guns” signs if they so choose. So I was wondering how many of your banks are going to be posting any sort of sign or has management/security decided against posting?

Return to Top
#1575786 - 07/08/11 07:44 PM Re: concealed carry justfriendlyme
Justin Wesson Offline
What are you referring to that will be signed into law?

I would approach the topic carefully, remember starbucks got national attention for simply saying they would follow the local laws for each store. They werent trying to allow or deny, but their attempt to fly under the radar didnt work.
There really isnt much need is there? If the person is carrying concealed they will come and go without incident.

Return to Top
#1575972 - 07/09/11 09:57 PM Re: concealed carry Justin Wesson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Wisconsin just passed a concealed carry law. Prior to this, carrying a concealed weapon was illegal. Illinois now remains the only State in the Union without a concealed carry law.

Return to Top
#1576316 - 07/11/11 07:02 PM Re: concealed carry rlcarey
escott7275 Offline
100 Club
escott7275
Packer Country
We are waiting for the WBA's legal team to review the law and make their recommendations. Either way, we will be reminding employees that they are not allowed to bring weapons of any kind in to the bank.

Return to Top
#1576513 - 07/11/11 11:32 PM Re: concealed carry escott7275
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Funny thing happened today when I walked into my M&I branch which is now operated by Harris out of Chicago where they have no concealed carry law. The wording on the door had been changed to read "...no hats, hoods, sunglasses or guns..."

Return to Top
#1576605 - 07/12/11 01:37 PM Re: concealed carry Truffle Royale
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
The new law has a provision that gives immunity from liability to institutions that do not ban guns. Those who do, will not have this immunity.

So, if, despite your sign on the door, a person brings in a gun and injures/kills somebody, your institution can be found responsible for damages. This has been the case all along, though, so the new law is not taking anything away. But it does give businesses a choice between immunity from liability and having a "no guns" policy.

Of course, as with any new law, only the future law suits will show what kind of immunity this provision actually provides.

Another thing to consider: enforcement of this policy, if you do have one, meaning, confronting a person who brought a gun into your bank...

Return to Top
#1576612 - 07/12/11 01:41 PM Re: concealed carry Compli(cated)
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
doedoe... do you happen to have quick access to the provision, or a good link to it?

Interesting times these days...

Return to Top
#1576637 - 07/12/11 02:07 PM Re: concealed carry #Just Jay
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
Jay, the immunity provision is under Wis. Stats. § 175.60(21)

"(21) IMMUNITY.

(a) The department of justice, the department of transportation, and the employees of each department; clerks, as defined in sub. (11) (a) 1. a., and their staff; and court automated information systems, as defined under sub. (11) (a) 1. b., and their employees are immune from liability arising from any act or omission under this section, if done so in good faith.

(b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from its decision.

(c) An employer that does not prohibit one or more employees from carrying a concealed weapon under sub.(15m) is immune from any liability arising from its decision."

You can read the full text of the Act here: https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/enrolled/sb93.pdf

Return to Top
#1576688 - 07/12/11 02:55 PM Re: concealed carry Compli(cated)
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
very interesting... thank you for sharing that link!

Return to Top
#1593680 - 08/18/11 05:07 PM Re: concealed carry #Just Jay
BowlingQueen Offline
Power Poster
Wisconsin
My boss and I were discussing this yesterday. It completely blows my mind that if we "ban" guns from our property that we have no immunity. That's just wrong!

Return to Top
#1594287 - 08/19/11 05:26 PM Re: concealed carry BowlingQueen
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
It is counter-intuitive, but makes sense to an extent. Right now, before the law is in effect, the guns are banned and there is no immunity. So if you take yourself out from under the application of the law that allows guns (by banning them), you more or less end up in the same situation you are currently in.

Return to Top
#1598379 - 08/30/11 08:31 PM Re: concealed carry Compli(cated)
WreckEmTech Offline
100 Club
Texas
In Texas, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

Your state probably has similar wording. Technically, for the sign to be legally enforced it must have that wording on it...just simly stating "No Guns" or putting a picture of a crossed-out gun doesn't mean much...at least that's what they teach in CHL classes in Texas.

Return to Top
#1605375 - 09/19/11 03:36 PM Re: concealed carry WreckEmTech
Compli(cated) Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
The Wisconsin law does not require any specific wording. We're left to come up with an all-encompassing ban on our own...

Return to Top