Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#157678 - 02/06/04 03:47 PM Incoming Wires and OFAC
MDR Offline
New Poster
MDR
Oklahoma
As the recieving bank of an incoming wire, are we responsible for checking OFAC against the sender or are we able to rely upon the sending FI?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#157679 - 02/06/04 03:57 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
Our procedure is to verify the originator and the beneficiary for incoming and outgoing.

Return to Top
#157680 - 02/06/04 04:34 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can rely on the sending FI if you want to, but if the name is on the SDN list, you are both in trouble. Them for sending it, and you for receiving it.

Return to Top
#157681 - 02/06/04 04:51 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Our procedure is to verify the originator and the beneficiary for incoming and outgoing.

Ditto.

Return to Top
#157682 - 02/06/04 06:13 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
The funny thing about OFAC is that you are technically "responsible" for everything that you do that could potentially come into contact with one of the listed entities, countries, or individuals. Considering that, your institution has to determine how much risk it is willing to take based on the cost of decreasing and hopefully eliminating that risk.

Where wire transfers are concerned, most financial institutions I have talked to have generally checked the names regardless of whether they were an originator, intermediary or beneficiary.

Return to Top
#157683 - 02/06/04 08:28 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Quote:

Where wire transfers are concerned, most financial institutions I have talked to have generally checked the names regardless of whether they were an originator, intermediary or beneficiary.

I agree! Too serious a topic to do otherwise...

Return to Top
#157684 - 02/10/04 03:13 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
skinnyminny Offline
Gold Star
skinnyminny
Heaven in comparison to my pri...
Don't rely on someone else. Do it yourself. As the other responses indicate-many banks have been in trouble for relying on others to check OFAC.

Return to Top
#157685 - 02/13/04 04:50 PM Re: Incoming Wires and OFAC
Ucan'tdothat Offline
Ucan'tdothat
Miami
If you are using software for OFAC compliance in wires, you may consider running it against the meesage/instructions section of the wire order as well. We find, from time time, references in the instructions that the payment has to do with Cuba or Cuban Nationals.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z