Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1082282 - 11/14/08 07:21 PM Cosigner Coverage
krmabyrd Offline
New Poster
krmabyrd
Chicago Southland
An account was opened prior to cosigner being a servicemember. The question is related to whether the Father (who is the primary borrower)qualifies for the interest rate reduction based on the cosigners (Son) enlistment into the military service. My initial understanding is that the father would be allowed the rate reduction but I would like confirmation.

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#1082390 - 11/14/08 09:07 PM Re: Cosigner Coverage krmabyrd
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If this is a true co-signer loan and not a co-borrower loan then IMHO opinion the father should not be eligible for the rate reduction under these circumstances (his ability to repay is not hindered), however the son is liable on the debt, and from 527(a)(1)(b):

during the period of military service, in the case of any other obligation or liability.

Return to Top
#1577174 - 07/13/11 01:22 PM Re: Cosigner Coverage Dan Persfull
goingtoexperts Offline
100 Club
So in reference to 527(a)(1)(b), if a co-signer notifies a creditor that he/she is called to active duty, the interest rate reduction should be applied to the obligation, correct?

Return to Top
#1578382 - 07/14/11 09:56 PM Re: Cosigner Coverage goingtoexperts
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I think this can actually be a gray area. I would recommend going to 6%, but the coverage actually applies to a servicemember or a servicemember and their spouse, jointly.

You could argue this isn't a joint loan with the borrower or that the loan was made to the co-signer, and that this protection doesn't apply to them. Reputational risk and the work involved tells me I'd seriously consider 6%, but based on your terms and amounts, you may consider otherwise.

I'm interested in others opinions.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z