Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1577958 - 07/14/11 03:41 PM My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Finally reaching out for prayers/well wishes/good vibes/positive energy for my best friend who has breast cancer.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in March, just a couple weeks after her 30th birthday. They found one small tumor less than 1cm. They performed a lumpectomy but did not get all the precancer cells so went in a second time, and STILL did not get all the cells. During a specialized breast MRI to try to locate where all the precancer cells were, they located a second tumor, still just less than 1cm. After a lot of councelling with her doctors and surgeon and switching insurance so she can be with a more advanced hospital (UCSD) she has opted for a double mastectomy with reconstruction followed by chemotherapy.

She has God in her life and a great support system, but any thought or prayer you can send out to her well-being is appreciated. She is married and has an almost 4 year old son...her mastectomy on the 26th is also his birthday frown

Thank you everyone.

Return to Top
#1577964 - 07/14/11 03:44 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Dip
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Dip, will be keeping your BFF in my thoughts. Hope all goes well on the 26th!

Return to Top
#1577986 - 07/14/11 03:59 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Ops
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Prayers for your friend and her family Dip. It is a horrible disease.

One of my neighbors had to have a mastectomy and chemo over the winter, she is in her 30's with a young son who is autistic. They have recommended that she have the other breast removed and have a total hysterectomy going forward frown

Return to Top
#1577988 - 07/14/11 04:00 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Ops
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Prayers are coming for your BFF and her family <and you, too>. It's horrible when cancer strikes - especially in one so young.

Return to Top
#1577994 - 07/14/11 04:02 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy thomasj
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Thoughts and prayers from me too Dip.

We have a friend who had a lumpectomy 8 years ago. She had her 5 year and was cancer free. A year later, it was back, and a different kind of cancer. She told the doctors to take them both off. They fought her on it, but she won out. She had a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.

Return to Top
#1578006 - 07/14/11 04:13 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Snow Bunny
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Many prayers for your dear friend and her family!

Return to Top
#1578020 - 07/14/11 04:28 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Search_Me
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Prayers coming from ME. I'll keep her in mind during my Tri. frown

Return to Top
#1578025 - 07/14/11 04:31 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Search_Me
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Prayers for your friend and her family.

Return to Top
#1578035 - 07/14/11 04:36 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy bOaty
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
So sorry to hear this, dip.

A good friend of mine was diagnosed in her late 30's, had a mastectomy, chemo, radiation and reconstruction. She is now about 13 years cancer-free. smile

Ladies, make sure you get your mammogram! Guys, make sure the women in your life get theirs! Early detection saves lives.

Return to Top
#1578036 - 07/14/11 04:37 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy kitten
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Thanks all. I knwo she wanted to keep her boobs in the beginning but after the second tumor was found I think she realized she needed to go after this with all her ammo. What's kinda sweet and morbid at the same time is she's having a budoir photo shoot before the surgery, sorta a farewell to boobies. Think I'd probably do the same thing. The company she chose gives a 50% discount with proof of pending mastectomy smile

Following what my bff is goign through will really help me if I ever meet my own cancer demon, so I guess there's a positive to this. Talking to her, weighing options, understanding the pros and cons...cancer is real and cancer is scary and cancer can get anyone. I was super scared and upset when she first told me btu now her, I, all of us just take it in stride, appointment by appointment.

Return to Top
#1578039 - 07/14/11 04:41 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy califgirl
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: califgirl
Ladies, make sure you get your mammogram!

Actually, onyl one of my bff's tumors showed up on the mammo. That was the first one, which she felt herself and prompted her goign to get it checked out. Was higher up on her chest close to the surface and felt liek a popcorn kernel. The second tumor coudl not be felt and did nto show up on the mammo, even after they knew where it was and where to look. The special breast-specific MRI is what picked that up. Her HMO did not have that machine--they had to send her to UCSD for that, and thank God they did...

do you self exams, know your body, and yes, get your mammos, but expecially if you have family history, don't be afraid to ask for an ultrasound or MRI if you want it.

Return to Top
#1578044 - 07/14/11 04:47 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Dip
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
My grandmother had a double mastectomy. Lived a long and very full life afterwords. Had another friend that had a beautiful tattoo done over her missing mammaries. It sounds like your BFF has a good attitude! Prayers of course!

Return to Top
#1578068 - 07/14/11 05:09 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Bankbb1, PITA
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Good thoughts and prayers for your BFF Dip. The right attitude is key for dealing with any type of cancer. My Mom is a multiple cancer survivor and just had melanoma surgery for the 5th time last week. She still says, "I kicked cancer's butt" everytime she deals with it.

It sounds like your friend is going into this with the right attitude and a good support system, which will be essential in her recovery.

Return to Top
#1578075 - 07/14/11 05:11 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Sing A Little
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Prayers Dip!!!

Return to Top
#1578076 - 07/14/11 05:11 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Sing A Little
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Speakign of tattoos...since it may be recommended that the [censored] go too (not saved), I suggested her having somethign tattoed liek little flowers or something instead of [censored]. Yeah, if you loose those, they typically tatto a pretty realisitc one instead. But hey, a tatto's a tattoo...why nto have a little fun?

Return to Top
#1578097 - 07/14/11 05:30 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Dip
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
Originally Posted By: Biker Dip
Speakign of tattoos...since it may be recommended that the [censored] go too (not saved), I suggested her having somethign tattoed liek little flowers or something instead of [censored]. Yeah, if you loose those, they typically tatto a pretty realisitc one instead. But hey, a tatto's a tattoo...why nto have a little fun?

Good thought Dip!

Return to Top
#1578101 - 07/14/11 05:35 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Search_Me
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
My friend had a large dragon and lotus blossums done on her chest. It is, quite frankly so striking that you dont really notice the lack of boobage. She is very "open" about it. A little bit of a lost hippy and a beautiful girl too.

Return to Top
#1578238 - 07/14/11 07:34 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Bankbb1, PITA
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
much prayers from hawaii. nice to hear your BFF is making the best decision for her after weighing all the options.

it's super important to have a great and caring support team. some days will be better than others, and you need to learn to lean on each other.

thinking of all of you.

Return to Top
#1578258 - 07/14/11 07:44 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy wavewatcher
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
So sorry your friend is having to go thru this. Prayers for you all during this trying time.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1578385 - 07/14/11 09:56 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy waldensouth
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Thanks. A friend who lives closer to her (she's an hour away from me) just set up a Google calendar for all her friends to sign up for meals and babysitting whiel she recovers.

I hope we all have such a great support system if we find outselves in thsi position.

Return to Top
#1578439 - 07/15/11 11:35 AM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Dip
NotPerfect Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Prayers for your friend.

A mom I know at the school my son attends was training for an Iron Woman this summer. She thought she pulled a muscle, but the doctor found a lump - cancer. She's going through her own battle at 31 with 4 kids under 8 at home.

Sounds like your bff is a fighter!

Return to Top
#1578443 - 07/15/11 12:03 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy NotPerfect
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
A friend of my son's is going through this too - she's 26 and pregnant with her first child. She had a mastectomy several months ago and is currently undergoing chemo. The baby will be delivered at the end of this month. I've never met her, but keep her name on my desk and think/pray often. I will do the same for these other women mentioned. Every time I think/pray for Amber I will for them.

Return to Top
#1578799 - 07/15/11 06:08 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Skittles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
How does that work being pregnant and having chemo??? Scary...I hope the baby is ok. thanks for your prayers.

Return to Top
#1578840 - 07/15/11 06:43 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Dip
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
They say the baby is fine. Unfortunately this isn't as uncommon as you might believe.

Return to Top
#1578854 - 07/15/11 06:55 PM Re: My 30 y/o BFF has breast cancer, 2x mastectomy Skittles
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Prayers going out for her Dip, and for all of brave women mentioned in this thread.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett