Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1580040 - 07/19/11 07:54 PM Matricula cards
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
This question is geared towards Southwestern bankers but everyone is free to play along.

If a person is legally in the US, wouldn't they have a form of ID other than a Matricula card? A passport, laser visa, state ID - anything??

I understand that the majority of you do not accept the Matricula card as a form of primary or secondary ID. I'm trying to wrap my head around why a matricula card would be the only form of identification that a person would hold.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1580049 - 07/19/11 08:08 PM Re: Matricula cards Lisa_Bates
BSABecky Offline
100 Club
BSABecky
Seymour, IN USA
You're correct; if someone is in the country legally, they would have SOME other form of ID. Legitimate aliens wouldn't need the matricula consular card. We do not accept it for primary OR secondary ID.

There are some banks that feel that not accepting the matricula card is somehow a violation of CRA, as if there is a deliberate attempt NOT to bank all individuals. Opening up the acceptance of this card opens a whole new world of risk; these cards are easily obtained with easily-falsified documents. One could go to a street corner in New York and purchase a Mexican birth certificate, then pop over to the local consulate office and obtain a matricula card. The card itself is difficult to fake, but there is no regulation for the issuance of one that is "safe".

Return to Top
#1580050 - 07/19/11 08:13 PM Re: Matricula cards Lisa_Bates
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#1580127 - 07/19/11 09:53 PM Re: Matricula cards edAudit
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
If you think the "big" banks are accepting matricula consular cards because of CRA, I've got a timeshare on the Brooklyn Bridge I would like to sell you.

CRA brownie points are merely a side benefit to what these folks see as a lucrative market. While illegal aliens who break the law may make headlines, the majority of "guest workers" just want to earn money to send back home, and there is money to made accommodating that in addition to other fees that can be earned by providing account services.

Return to Top
#1580129 - 07/19/11 10:03 PM Re: Matricula cards Princess Romeo
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Originally Posted By: Princess Romeo
If you think the "big" banks are accepting matricula consular cards because of CRA, I've got a timeshare on the Brooklyn Bridge I would like to sell you.

Cash only.

Return to Top
#1580142 - 07/19/11 10:29 PM Re: Matricula cards ACBbank
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I'll take cash. Might need your SSN for the CTR though....

Return to Top
#1580227 - 07/20/11 02:15 PM Re: Matricula cards Princess Romeo
girlsrope2 Offline
100 Club
girlsrope2
Land of Capitalism
Ahhh . . . but Princess. . .won't you take my Matricular card??? smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z