Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#158073 - 02/14/04 06:07 AM Re: What are you Reading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

"The Holy" by Daniel Quinn
I would recommend starting with his earlier stuff,
"Ishmael" "The Story of B" & "My Ishmael" at least (and "Beyond Civilization" is a good idea)
Also recommended: "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff, & "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#158074 - 02/14/04 05:35 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Mistaken Identity by Lisa Scottoline
Next is Sweeet Dreams by Faye Kellerman

Return to Top
#158075 - 02/14/04 05:56 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Strategery Offline
100 Club
Strategery
Snow Country
"Stephanies Ponytail" and "Pigs" by Robert Munsch
Okay, so I'm presently consumed with work and reading to my 3 year old twin daughters...

Return to Top
#158076 - 02/14/04 06:39 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Okay, so I'm presently consumed with work and reading to my 3 year old twin daughters...

LOL~ I know exactly what you are talking about. At 8:30 every night I read Dora the Explorer and Cat in the Hat to my three year old daughter. We read two books every night and she has a ton of them! I have always read to her before bedtime every night.

Return to Top
#158077 - 02/15/04 05:42 PM Re: What are you Reading?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Keep it up, and chances are, they will become readers themselves! I just finished Midnight, by Dean Koontz. I've only read one of his books before and they seem a little out there, but good. I like his sense of humor. I can't remember the name of the other one, but it involved a dog that spelled out what he wanted to say with Scrabble tiles. My kinda dog.........

Return to Top
#158078 - 02/16/04 05:28 AM Re: What are you Reading?
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
[quoteI can't remember the name of the other one, but it involved a dog that spelled out what he wanted to say with Scrabble tiles. My kinda dog.........

"Watchers". I loved that book! Another good one is "Dragon Tears".

Return to Top
#158079 - 05/17/05 12:31 PM Re: What are you Reading?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Quote:

I read Dan Brown's "DaVinci Code" and what a thought provoking book. That lead to his "Angels & Demons" which I am currently reading.

My book club decided to tackle both "DaVinci Code" and "Angels & Demons" in the same month! Most of us have very definite religious beliefs - the discussion should be interesting!

How did it go? Here is a resource for assisting the discussion: http://www.rbc.org/davinci/bta_more.php

Return to Top
#158080 - 05/17/05 02:14 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Currently reading Sean Hannity "Deliver Us From Evil".

Next, I move on to Stephen King's "Dark Tower" novels.

Return to Top
#158081 - 05/17/05 02:21 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm reading two books at the moment for fun:

"The Complete Hitchiker's Guide" Scott Adams I saw the movie and decided to read the book. Plus, my favorite number has always been 42!

and

"Carnage and Culture" by Victor Davis Hanson. It's a study of the preeminence of Western warfare and tactics and why they are superior to other cultures. It examines military clashes between cultures from the classical greek period up to the Tet Offensive. A very interesting book so far...

Return to Top
#158082 - 05/17/05 02:22 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
"On Becoming ToddlerWise"

Anyone know when that baby instruction manual should arrive? Mine seems to have been lost in the mail

Return to Top
#158083 - 05/17/05 02:33 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Almost finished:
The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini (an awesome read about Afghanistan and the Taliban's ruination of it; from an Afghanian point of view).

Just finished:
Cod, by Mark Kurlansky; whoever would have thought a book about fish could be so interesting... it really was.

Return to Top
#158084 - 05/17/05 02:33 PM Re: What are you Reading?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I usually have several books going at the same time - depending on my frame of mind when I return home from work!

The letters of John and Abigail Adams
Strong Women, Wild Horses - A History of Cumberland Island (excellent reading so far)
Fantastic Voyage by Isaac Asimov
The Warrior by Francine Rivers
The Name by Franklin Graham

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#158085 - 05/17/05 02:36 PM Re: What are you Reading?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Have you read any of the "Dark Tower" series? I can't believe I actually waited 20 years to hear how a story ended! Bizzare (as expected) but a good read.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#158086 - 05/17/05 02:37 PM Re: What are you Reading?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Re-reading some of Lawrence Block's "Burgular" series. Fun.

Return to Top
#158087 - 05/17/05 03:03 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Have you read any of the "Dark Tower" series? I can't believe I actually waited 20 years to hear how a story ended! Bizzare (as expected) but a good read.

I read the first three years ago but then I guess I sort of gave up. I'm going back and re-reading those and then I'm going to read the rest of the series.

I've read so many Stephen King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, Clive Barker and Robin Cook novels it’s hard to remember them all. I’m thinking about re-reading some of those as well (especially The Talisman by King, I really liked that book).

Return to Top
#158088 - 05/17/05 04:14 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was somewhat disappointed by the end of the Dark Tower series, but the series as a whole was great. I love the way it tied into a few other Stephen King books. I think I could have read another 5 books that gave more detail into the world before it "moved on".

Return to Top
#158089 - 05/17/05 07:04 PM Re: What are you Reading?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I found a copy of Helter Skelter for a dime at the library and picked it up for a re-read. It's even more chilling now, than when I read it in HS.

Return to Top
#158090 - 05/17/05 08:24 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Just finished "Raving Fans" by Ken Blanchard, "Winning" by Jack Welch, and an audio book "Your Best Life Now" by Joel Osteen.

Return to Top
#158091 - 05/17/05 08:31 PM Re: What are you Reading?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

I found a copy of Helter Skelter for a dime at the library and picked it up for a re-read. It's even more chilling now, than when I read it in HS.

Now, get another chill by reading Capote's true crime story: "In Cold Blood."

Return to Top
#158092 - 05/17/05 08:57 PM Re: What are you Reading?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Quote:

Now, get another chill by reading Capote's true crime story: "In Cold Blood."

Thanks. I'll put it on my list.

Return to Top
#158093 - 05/18/05 01:14 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Author Marc D. Giller, who after 18 years of writing has published the action-packed science-fiction thriller "Hammerjack" (Bantam Books), about a computer code breaker turned corporate high-tech security expert, who finds himself in the middle of a war between man and machine.

Publishers Weekly says "Giller's debut hits all the right chords ... A winning blend of crime novel motifs and computer technology makes it must reading for fans of cyberpunk and detective fiction alike."

I read it over the weekend, and find Giller's book has the stuff to be the next big summer blockbuster. And it's got a kick-butt role for a woman that would make Jennifer Garner or Angelina Jolie millions.

Return to Top
#158094 - 05/18/05 02:23 PM Re: What are you Reading?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I'm currently reading - " Jesus Freaks: DC Talk and The Voice of the Martyrs - Stories of Those Who Stood For Jesus, the Ultimate Jesus Freaks " It was sent to me in a care package when the bear had her transplant. I don't know if I would have picked it out on my own, but it has been an inspiring read.

Once I'm done with that, I plan to read Traveling Light by Max Lucado. I've read Come Thirsty and HIGHLY recommend it. I also read a lot of biliary atresia (the bear's previous diagnosis pre-trans.) medical studies and banking regulations when I need help getting to sleep .

Return to Top
#158095 - 05/18/05 05:54 PM Re: What are you Reading?
TTC Queen Offline
Diamond Poster
Oklahoma
Hey EGB--Did our book club go away? I have missed a lot of stuff due to being out sick.

Return to Top
#158096 - 05/18/05 05:56 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Anonymous
Unregistered

HAMMERJACK--

"With kick-ass cyber-babes, sociopathic computers, and a world descending into culture war, HAMMERJACK delivers everything you could want in a sci-fi action thriller. Fast, inventive, and deeply, darkly cool."--Max Barry, author of Jennifer Government

"Giller’s debut hits all the right chords for genre success: breakneck action, high-tech inventiveness, and a compelling protagonist in the hard-boiled hacker-gumshoe Cray. A winning blend of crime novel motifs and computer technology makes it must reading for fans of cyberpunk and detective fiction alike."--Booklist

"Nice, noirish twists and one badass female character I wish I'd invented myself....Marc Giller certainly knows how to write."-Richard Morgan, author of Broken Angels

"Pull on your mirror shades and hang on for the ride. This is cyberpunk without equivocation, in the tradition of Gibson and Sterling, with a nicely camochromed Halo thugs thrown in for good measure...a fast-paced and enjoyable read."--Neal Asher, author of Gridlinked

“Giller’s action-packed debut has cinematic crackle and a crisp pace…[his] brave new world consistently entertains and may provide a solid foundation for a series.”--Publishers Weekly

"Strongly styled SF debut with big echoes of The Matrix Trilogy and the Philip K. Dick flicks Blade Runner and Minority Report... Really cleans up your neural-imaging system with radiant tensile energy."--Kirkus Reviews

Return to Top
#158097 - 05/18/05 06:00 PM Re: What are you Reading?
Buffy314 Offline
New Poster
Buffy314
"Stolen" by Kelley Armstrong. Werewolf book- great sequel to "Bitten."

Return to Top
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6