Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1580898 - 07/21/11 02:29 PM Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial"
bugleboy Offline
100 Club
Ohio
The new "Statement of Credit Denial, Termination, or Change" replaces the former Reg B "Notice of Action Taken" for loan denials. Our bank does not risk price loans and a credit score is not used to determine credit terms. The question is this: are we now required to disclose the credit score (even though it is not used) on the "Statement of Denial, Termination, or Change" to be compliant with Dodd-Frank? There is information in several news articles that says "lenders (are) to provide consumers with a free credit score whenever they reject an application for a loan"

Return to Top
#1580996 - 07/21/11 03:42 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" bugleboy
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
Bugle,

two seperate issues going on here at once. Reg V which is the risk based pricing notice, and Reg B which is the denial notice you use.

My bank does not do risk based pricing either... in that case we do not have to provide them with a risk based pricing notice and a credit score showing them that that while they were approved, they got a higher rate because their credit score was X based on deliqunicies, charge offs etc...

The alternate issue is that the notice of action taken, aka adverse Action Notice, has been amended to include this same information for the times when you don't make a loan in whole or in part based on the credit score. In fact there are new model forms available which have space for this information.

So, that being said to answer your question. Even though you do not use risk based pricing. If you check credit and deny the loan in whole or in part based on the information contained on the credit report, you have to disclose the score used for the denial and as many as 4/5 reasons supporting the denial... which is in ADDITION to the standard Reg B rasons you denied the loan... so DTI and LTV and everything else you underwrite for still also needs to be disclosed... PLUS the low credit score.

Hope that helps. The ABA has an analysis of the changes which are concise and make this whole thing easy to understand.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1581234 - 07/21/11 06:33 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" AFaquir
ahanna Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Originally Posted By: AFaquir
Bugle,

Even though you do not use risk based pricing. If you check credit and deny the loan in whole or in part based on the information contained on the credit report, you have to disclose the score used for the denial and as many as 4/5 reasons supporting the denial...

I disagree. The revisions to Reg B only require you to include the credit score and related factors on the AAN if you obtain use the scorein your decision (unlike the RBP rules which only require your to use the report). However, if you are not risk-based pricing your loans, as stated in your original post, then why pull a score at all? If all approved applicants are offered the same credit terms you are exempt from the RBP and exception notice rules, so why obtain the score?

My opinion- if you are pulling a score you will have a rough time defending your position that you are not "using" the score since the new definition in the final rule for "using" a score is pretty broad.

Aside from the disparities in the regulations, we use Arta for denials and their new form (which it sounds like you are using as well)does not allow you to disclose that you used a credit report but not a score; if you check the box for one it automatically checks the boxes for both. Hopefully that is something they will correct with an update.

Return to Top
#1581642 - 07/22/11 02:20 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" AFaquir
Polo Offline
100 Club
Polo
AFaquir
You posted: The ABA has an analysis of the changes which are concise and make this whole thing easy to understand.

What is the name of the analysis?
There are tons of articles and data on DFA and I am looking for something that would break it down it an easily understandable format.
Thank you

Return to Top
#1581729 - 07/22/11 03:35 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Polo
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
Not AFaquir here but the ABA analysis is titled: ABA Staff Analysis: Final Rule on Credit Score Notices July 2011.

Return to Top
#1581808 - 07/22/11 04:14 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Island Dreaming
zitch70 Offline
Gold Star
Edinburg, Texas
Our bank is not a member of ABA, How would I get a copy of the Staff Analysis?

Return to Top
#1581809 - 07/22/11 04:16 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" zitch70
zitch70 Offline
Gold Star
Edinburg, Texas
Let me ask one question, Is this effective on decisions made July 21st or after on credit applications?

Return to Top
#1582010 - 07/22/11 06:34 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" zitch70
Ishmael Offline
100 Club
Pequod
Yes, if a credit score is used in making the decision. The term "used" is very broadly defined. Also be mindful that credit scores are potentially used in contexts beyond just credit decisions.

Return to Top
#1584124 - 07/27/11 08:42 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Ishmael
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
You know - unless you are using an automated or semi-automated system that actually USES the credit score as a parameter in loan decisioning or pricing, why bother to get the silly thing?

I don't understand the fascination that a commercial lender has in stating on a credit approval memo that the borrower has a FICO of 760. Wouldn't the fact that the borrower has successfully conducted his business for 15 years, has a DCR of .95 to 1 and has no derogatory trade lines be sufficient? The slight shadings of difference between a FICO of, say, 760 vs. 740 could be as simple as someone who is using 15% of her credit card line rather than 35%.

Frankly I think most credit scores are mathematical sausage.

Return to Top
#1584271 - 07/27/11 10:16 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Princess Romeo
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
Princess Romeo ~ I am so totally with you. We have turned the score OFF as it truly is not used at our FI for the decision or pricing so we decided we did not need the headache or confusion it could cause.

Return to Top
#1584372 - 07/28/11 01:36 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Princess of Power
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
OK...I thought I had this down until I saw our notices in print. We've added the credit score disclosure onto our AANs, but we are also including the exception notice and Notice to Home Loan Applicant in the mailing.

I've grabbed more coffee and my Federal Register. Do we really need to give them this many pieces of paper with a score on it or have we missed something?

Return to Top
#1584398 - 07/28/11 02:10 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Cornfed Turtle
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
Cornfed turtle: If you give the H-3 exception notice, that already includes the NTHLA and the NTHLA is not needed.

If you give an AAN before you give the H-3 exception notice then you do not need any RBP notice BUT remember that you would then need a NTHLA because you are no longer giving the H-3.

Return to Top
#1584402 - 07/28/11 02:09 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Ted Dreyer
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
Very clear....thanks Ted. We can tuck the old NTHLA in the AAN and call it good.

Return to Top
#1584870 - 07/28/11 08:27 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" Cornfed Turtle
ahanna Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Princess Romeo - I agree with you, but that logic will only apply to banks who do not use credit reports to set the terms of their loans. If you offer ONE rate for every approved applicant for any particular product, I agree the score is more trouble than it's worth. However, if you charge less credit-worthy applicants higher rates based on info in a credit report, you must now obtain the score if you wish to utilize the exception notice from the RBP rules.

Maybe my bank is in the minority by still pricing loans based on credit history though...

Return to Top
#1585535 - 07/29/11 09:11 PM Re: Credit Score on "Statement of Credit Denial" ahanna
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
There are a number of banks that mainly do commercial loans with an occasional consumer loan that don't do risk based pricing for consumer loans. For them, getting the credit score has been kind of a security blanket "crutch" to show that the borrower is credit worthy, (or not in which case the credit approval would discuss the mitigating factors), but in the end, the score isn't telling them anything that they couldn't glean from the credit report.

If you are going to do Risk Based Pricing, then you are better off getting the score or you risk opening yourself up the possibility of disparate treatment. Most places that do any kind of volume of consumer loans will have to face the fact that their AAN's are now two pages or now closely resembles the 3 foot long purchase contract from an auto dealer.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z