Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1580548 - 07/20/11 06:36 PM Registration not completed by deadline?
Allformyfamily Offline
100 Club
Allformyfamily
We have several MLO's who have not filled out the request for fingerprints. I don't believe we have time to get the paper prints done, so we are now telling the MLO's they need to get the digital prints done. They are balking at this because it's a long drive for some of them. What happens if the whole registration process is not completed by the deadline? Will the bank be fined?

Return to Top
S.A.F.E. Act Forum
#1580601 - 07/20/11 07:19 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Allformyfamily
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
What job will these employees who are balking be doing once the registration date arrives and they are not registered?

Their job depends upon completing the process and the bank should not be using unregistered MLOs at that point.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1580629 - 07/20/11 08:02 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Kathleen O. Blanchard
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I agree with Kay. These MLO's will not be able to take or approve mortgage loans until they are completely registered.

Return to Top
#1580634 - 07/20/11 08:08 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Skittles
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
When you say 'approve', does that include sitting on a loan committee?

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1580709 - 07/20/11 09:22 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Skittles
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
Would/could they fall under a 'temporary exemption' until the fifth mortgage? Wasn't there a provision that a lender did not have to be registered if they approved less than a certain number (I think it was 5) of loans per year?

I'm just trying to imagine being the one to tell the senior lender that one or more of his/her loan officers cannot approve a mortgage, and that some other loan officer is going to have to be identified on the loan.

Return to Top
#1580710 - 07/20/11 09:19 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Doug Hendrickson

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I personally would not allow them to do anything because they arbitrarily chose not to complete the process, contrary to bank policy.

You have to draw the line somewhere.

Added:

If you do allow it at least make it obvious that this is a big deal. Report the names of those who have not completed the process to the board, make them commit to a date they will be in compliance (personally to the bank president), track those dates.

If you give them loopholes they will be taken and when there is a slip up the bank will be the one criticized in an exam. And you know this will be reviewed closely.

Why reward bad behavior?
Last edited by Kathleen B; 07/20/11 09:26 PM.

Return to Top
#1580723 - 07/20/11 09:39 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Kathleen O. Blanchard
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I'm presuming that there are not, yet, any published examination procedures for the FDIC to use?

I'm presuming it would fall under a Compliance examination?
Last edited by Doug Hendrickson; 07/20/11 09:42 PM.

Return to Top
#1580739 - 07/20/11 10:04 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Doug Hendrickson

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Why would that matter? The bank has policies and procedures in place to comply with the law. Your identified staff was to complete all steps to register so that they can work in the industry as an MLO.

The bank will be criticized for not following its own policy, a much greater sin.

A standard quote from regulators: "If you don't comply with your own policies, why should we feel comfortable that you will comply with the reg/law?"

Return to Top
#1580803 - 07/21/11 12:38 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Doug Hendrickson
RaesPlace Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: Doug Hendrickson
Would/could they fall under a 'temporary exemption' until the fifth mortgage? Wasn't there a provision that a lender did not have to be registered if they approved less than a certain number (I think it was 5) of loans per year?

I'm just trying to imagine being the one to tell the senior lender that one or more of his/her loan officers cannot approve a mortgage, and that some other loan officer is going to have to be identified on the loan.

I beleive they would have to have taken 5 or less loan applications in the previous 12 months. We have a few we didn't register because they acted as an MLO less than 5 times over the last 12 months. When renewal comes up, we will reevaluate them and see if they meet the exception again.

Return to Top
#1580869 - 07/21/11 02:01 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? RaesPlace
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
I wouldn't wait for renewal to determine that. If you are not registering someone because they meet the de minimis number, you really should have a monitoring system in place to know when they are making covered loans and what number they are on before they hit number 5. Without that, the employee could become a covered MLO during the timeframe between your original determination and the renewal period. They could originate 6 covered loans and your bank is out of compliance on number 6 because they were not registered.

Return to Top
#1580944 - 07/21/11 03:03 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Dani York, CRCM
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
In the Federal Register the Effective date of registrations and renewals is touched upon. In this section it states that

A number of commenters requested further clarification of this
effective date, and specifically requested that the effectiveness of
the registration not be delayed for the processing of a registrant's
fingerprints or receipt of a criminal background check. The Agencies
did not intend to delay the effective date for fingerprint or criminal
background check processing. There is no requirement for the processing
of these fingerprints or the completion of a background check before a
registration becomes effective. Nor, as indicated previously in this
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section, is the effectiveness of a
registration contingent on Agency or Registry review or approval of the
information submitted to the Registry. Pursuant to the rule, in order
to register, the information required by Sec. ----.103(d) and (e) must
be submitted, and, in order to renew or update a registration, the
information required by Sec. ----.103(b) must be submitted. The
Registry will conduct a completeness check of the information submitted
by or on behalf of the registrant. At the time the Registry determines
all required information has been submitted and all Registry
requirements have been met, such as payment of applicable fees charged
by the Registry, it will transmit notification electronically to the
registrant that he or she is registered or that his or her registration
is renewed or updated, as applicable. The employing institution will be
responsible for reviewing the criminal history background report once
it is completed, and taking any necessary action based on the findings
of this report, pursuant to the institution's policies and procedures,
as required by this final rule. We note that the registrant will obtain
a unique identifier during the registration process and not when the
registration is complete.

So correct me if I am wrong, but the fingerprinting and CBC do not complete the registration and that the MLO can perform those duties after they recieve that email that the registrant is registered.

Any thoughts? Which email would this be? If it is the one that tells them that their registration went from pending to active, I thought that email was sent after successful upload of the fingerprints. Or is it the email that the MLO receives after Authorizing and Attesting?

Return to Top
#1580952 - 07/21/11 03:03 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Bec
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
My understanding is that basically, once the MLO has attested and you've paid for the CBC, the registration is active. It seems that the important part in all of this is that the bank pays its money, not so much that the CBC actually gets performed.

Return to Top
#1580971 - 07/21/11 03:22 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? raitchjay
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I would agree, except, if you look at the status of the individual in NMLS it is still 'pending' until the completion of the fingerprinting and CBC.

Return to Top
#1581134 - 07/21/11 05:24 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Doug Hendrickson
Bec Offline
Diamond Poster
Bec
The Great White North
That is where I am getting hung up too, Doug. If it is still pending then to me it is not complete. However after the pending status when the fingerprints and CBC are complete, the account becomes "active" not "complete". Perhaps a matter of semantics but none the less perhaps the recognition from the NMLS to the MLOs after they attest and authorize is when the registration becomes complete.

It sounds like when going through the renewal process, the renewal is complete after the MLO authorizes and attests. Does this sound right?

Return to Top
#1581376 - 07/21/11 09:00 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Bec
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I didn't read the whole thread but I can assure you I agree with remarks made by Kathleen. If these people aren't registered by the 29th then come the 30th they can no longer participate in any mortgage loan transactions. Period, end of story.

You most likely, in addition to a violation of Federal law, will also have violations of state law. IN does not require MLOs who work for banks to be licensed but it does require them to be registered with NMLS by the 29th.

Return to Top
#1581474 - 07/22/11 12:35 AM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Dan Persfull

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Let's put it this way. The bank has had plenty of time to get its staff registered by day 1 of the new rules. Let the senior lender explain to the bank's regulator why this was not important enough to make sure the bank got it right the first time out.

Talk about not setting the right tone from the top. These employees should not be allowed to get away with this. They were told to get all of the steps done so that the bank has registered MLOs. So go get registered.

As I used to tell people who were whining to me: you could have had it done by now in all the time you are standing here complaining.

Twisting and turning definitions, looking for loopholes, etc. is what you do to try to convince a regulator it was okay if something slipped through the cracks, or is done by attorneys defending you in court or in the event of an order - it should never be done as a way to give employees an out who did not do what they were supposed to do. Look at the message they are being sent.

Return to Top
#1581532 - 07/22/11 12:45 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Kathleen O. Blanchard
MPComply Offline
New Poster
MPComply
New York
I agree with Dan and Kathleen - all of our MLO's did not have a choice; they either followed instructions to attest and be fingerprinted, or had to consider other employment. Allowing them to make their own choices regarding this rule would be too disruptive to the bank and would not have kept the project moving along as scheduled.

Return to Top
#1581728 - 07/22/11 03:29 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? MPComply
concerned Offline
New Poster
Georgia
What is your opinon if the fingerprints were submitted and could not be read and now the status read "name check" which has been hanging out there for over a month and no resolution. Is there a way to follow up on when the name check will be completed?

Return to Top
#1581793 - 07/22/11 04:04 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? concerned
MPComply Offline
New Poster
MPComply
New York
I would call Fieldprint and see if they know how long it should take - we had 2 of those and the status was changed to active within 2 weeks. It may be taking longer since it's now down to the wire..... if they don't know, it's possible that the NMLS can open a case for you.

Return to Top
#1582016 - 07/22/11 06:47 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? concerned
Island Dreaming Offline
100 Club
midwest
We also had this situation - We contacted the NMLS support line and were informed name checks will take from 2 weeks to 2 months to complete. Ours cleared and were changed to an active status at the 6 week mark.

Return to Top
#1582084 - 07/22/11 07:34 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Island Dreaming
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
The NMLS rep told us that the "bank managament could make the decision" to change an MLO to active before the CBC comes in. Has anyone else heard this?

We have 2 people in the same status as concerned, above. Fingerprints could not be read, twice, and names checks are being done. They stated that everything that was required to be submitted by the MLO had been submitted, therefore we the employeer could make make them active without the CBC.

Return to Top
#1582092 - 07/22/11 07:40 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? QCL
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I think I would run that by my regulator... the NMLS folks are simply the record holders/keepers and process movers, they are not the decision makers, nor are they in a position to either waive a requirement, nor review you for compliance.

I would attempt to get my regulators blessing/direction before allowing an LO to act as an LO without a CBC in hand.

Return to Top
#1582096 - 07/22/11 07:46 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? #Just Jay
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I had an employee get her fingerprints done last week and just got the message that she was cleared and 'active' as of today on NMLS. So at least, for now, it doesn't look like it's taking them too long to process them.

Return to Top
#1582230 - 07/22/11 09:34 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Doug Hendrickson
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Thank you Jay.
That's just what I needed - someone to agree with me smile

Return to Top
#1582438 - 07/25/11 02:59 PM Re: Registration not completed by deadline? Dani York, CRCM
small town girl Offline
100 Club
I talked to someone from NMLS and was told that the loan officer could not approve more than 5 real estate loans prior to being registered. Not that I think this is ok but we are close to being in the same boat.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett