Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1582683 - 07/25/11 07:34 PM Bounced Loan Payment Check
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Customer paid commercial loan payment with a check that has been returned NSF -- Can I debit his checking account instead of reversing the loan payment? My first thought is No - reverse the loan payment -- but is there any rule or regulation that would be broken if I charge the DDA instead?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1582746 - 07/25/11 08:40 PM Re: Bounced Loan Payment Check EllenA
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I'm not a loan expert, but you need to look at your loan agreement - it may/should be covered in there.

Return to Top
#1583834 - 07/27/11 05:14 PM Re: Bounced Loan Payment Check RBanker
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
If the loan agreement contains language about right of setoff, you may be able to debit his checking account. However, if you do, I would still reverse the loan payment however you would normally do so, and then do an advice of charge against the checking account with the loan payment transaction, with notations as to the situation. This way you have an audit trail of what actually occured.

Return to Top
#1583945 - 07/27/11 06:43 PM Re: Bounced Loan Payment Check Doug Hendrickson
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Normally the right of setoff only comes into play when collecting the debt and not on individual payments. If you are in a State that only allows one shot at curing a default, this is not the one you want to pick.

Return to Top
#1617925 - 10/20/11 12:20 PM Re: Bounced Loan Payment Check rlcarey
KMK Offline
Pennsylvania
Is there some particular area in state law where can I find a reference to the "one shot" aspect of setoff? For example, in PA, any suggestions as to where generally to confirm that aspect? Many thanks!

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett