Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1581706 - 07/22/11 03:08 PM e readers
Dolores Offline
New Poster
I know this has been addresssed in the past but I would like some imput on the e-readers. I still have not made the big step, should I wait on the Kindle 4 or go ahead and make the plunge? I don't want to do anything I might regret. If you are experienced with one or the other, please let me know the likes and dislikes.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1581720 - 07/22/11 03:21 PM Re: e readers Dolores
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I've had a Kindle (3G & WiFi) since December. I love it. I have friends that have B&N Nooks and they love their devices as well.

I can't really think of anything that I dislike about my Kindle other than the fact that I should have gotten one sooner! wink

Return to Top
#1581775 - 07/22/11 03:53 PM Re: e readers RR Sarah
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
I have the Kindle Wi-Fi and I love it, I had another brand called a Literati and ti bit the dust pretty fast. I really like how easy it is to download my books from Amamzo...I pick out one and they download it through whispernet and when I turn on my kindle there it is.

I can adjust the fonts to the size I need...I am like RR I should have gotten one sooner!!!!!

Return to Top
#1581784 - 07/22/11 03:59 PM Re: e readers Happy Drugs
Bomb Mom Offline
I have a B&N Nook and the only down fall is if you have the readers' advantage card you can not use it for e-books.

Return to Top
#1581813 - 07/22/11 04:12 PM Re: e readers Bomb Mom
Dolores Offline
New Poster
Thanks for the input----do you think the Kindle 4 will have color and the light? Is it worth waiting for?

Return to Top
#1581869 - 07/22/11 04:42 PM Re: e readers Dolores
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I love my kindle. unfortunately my puppy got a hold of it and chewed it up. It was well out of the one year warranty. I called amazon and they replaced it for me for 40.00. I thought that was great!! (and gave me free shipping)

I am not sure about the customer service with the other ereaders, but amazon has been great!

Return to Top
#1581882 - 07/22/11 04:48 PM Re: e readers RR Sarah
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
I've had a Kindle (3G & WiFi) since December. I love it. I have friends that have B&N Nooks and they love their devices as well.

I can't really think of anything that I dislike about my Kindle other than the fact that I should have gotten one sooner! wink

Same here - I think I've had mine for a year or so. The best thing is not having to pack a bunch of books when I go on vacation. The Kindle holds more than you could possibly read on many years' of vacations! And it stays charged for quite a long time.

Return to Top
#1581888 - 07/22/11 04:59 PM Re: e readers califgirl
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
That is a big plus for me my other did not stay up that long, but the kindle has...I have the 3rd one that was 114.00, I have had about a week and thoroughly enjoying it.

Return to Top
#1581897 - 07/22/11 05:05 PM Re: e readers RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah

Ditto this. smile

Return to Top
#1581917 - 07/22/11 05:13 PM Re: e readers RR Becca
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My sister and I are contemplating getting a Kindle for our 89 year old father. She'd have to download the books for him, but since he can make the font larger it may be easier for him to read.

FWIW - my husband has the i-Pad and uses it for e-reading. Yes, it's much pricier, but it also does a lot more. It comes with Kindle and Nook, too.

Return to Top
#1581920 - 07/22/11 05:10 PM Re: e readers Happy Drugs
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: Happy Drugs
That is a big plus for me my other did not stay up that long, but the kindle has...I have the 3rd one that was 114.00, I have had about a week and thoroughly enjoying it.

It was great on vacation - stayed charged for the 11.5 hour flight from Paris to LAX. (I don't sleep on planes. frown )

Return to Top
#1581955 - 07/22/11 05:59 PM Re: e readers califgirl
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I love my nook. My only regret is not waiting for the color nook before I bought. You can purchase books at either Barnes and Noble or Booksamillion.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1582017 - 07/22/11 06:50 PM Re: e readers waldensouth
bsa nerd Offline
New Poster
I have the nook color and love it. My boss has a kindle and she says she loves hers. So I suggest you try both out and see which fits you. The people at B&N are great at showing everything on the nook & nook color.

Return to Top
#1582065 - 07/22/11 07:10 PM Re: e readers bsa nerd
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
I've never used an e reader. Do you pay the same price for the books on an e reader that you would pay at the store?

Return to Top
#1582121 - 07/22/11 08:03 PM Re: e readers Bones
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
No, they are generally cheaper.

Edited to add: And some are even free.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 07/22/11 08:04 PM.

Return to Top
#1582189 - 07/22/11 08:47 PM Re: e readers Skittles
Happy Drugs Offline
Platinum Poster
Happy Drugs
Central Texas
Something else I love is that whenever I am ready to read a book I can go to amazon and purchase it right then and start reading it. I live in a small town and other than a library now where's can you buy a book.

This is just great and If I see want I want to read, but not ready to buy I put it on my wish list for later!!!

Return to Top
#1582425 - 07/25/11 02:42 PM Re: e readers Happy Drugs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Did a lot of research on ereaders and posted asking this same question a couple weeks ago.

Went with the nook color because you can borrow books from the library with it. You can also share books with other nook owners.

And I loved the color which kindle doesn't have and does not have on the drawing board. The WiFi connection is great and lets me post to BOL and send emails.

If you haven't purchased one yet, you might want to wait a bit longer. Word is that both kindle and nook will be coming out with holiday sales in the fall.

Return to Top
#1582513 - 07/25/11 04:13 PM Re: e readers Truffle Royale
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I debated between Kindle and Nook but all I wanted it for was to read books. Since most of the books I read are black and white (unless the book pages have yellowed) I couldn't see paying more for the color. Would have loved to have the iPad but it is a lot pricier and much heavier. Also, there is so much more you can do that I would never get to reading my book! The Kindle I can just stick in my purse and away I go. Kindle is in the process also of being able to share books and download books on loan from the library. I went with the cheaper Wi-Fi only and with ads, but the ads are a small bit of the home page and don't interfere with the book pages. Saved me a lot of money that way.

Return to Top
#1582560 - 07/25/11 05:34 PM Re: e readers Queen Mum
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
If I was a traveling business person like some on here, then the iPad would be the best. But I couldn't justify the cost either, QM.

My internal debate explanded to what I normally want to do when I travel. That's read, email and get on the internet. Don't play lots of games or do lots of apps. Having been an art major way back when, color is a trigger for me so that's why I went with the color over the regular nook.

Bottom line, there's not that much difference between the nook and the kindle. Try to get your hands on them both so you can decide which one suits you better. It's like gloves. They all keep you warm but different people like different kinds. wink

Return to Top
#1582604 - 07/25/11 06:21 PM Re: e readers Truffle Royale
buggs Offline
Power Poster
iPad 2. It's a reader, but soooo much more.

Return to Top
#1583162 - 07/26/11 05:05 PM Re: e readers buggs
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's a computer. If that's what you want/need/can afford, I agree. It's the bomb. I know a few people who carry theirs everywhere. Then there's the operating cost (apps, etc) which, plus the cost of the device, make it more than double that of a nook or kindle. My lifestyle just doesn't need that much chutzpah to be able to read books, mags, etc.

Return to Top
#1583264 - 07/26/11 06:56 PM Re: e readers buggs
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: buggs
iPad 2. It's a reader, but soooo much more.

Android tablets are e-readers, that run the Kindle app, the Nook app and are soooo much better and more versatile than iPads! grin

Return to Top
#1583480 - 07/26/11 09:57 PM Re: e readers Bimmer
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I've had the Kindle 1st generation for about three years now and love it! I recently purchased the Kindle 2nd generation, which I found easy to adjust too. I live in a very rural area and I download my books via the computer or when I come to "town". I would be in the network when I got about 30 miles from home. I discovered that my new K2 has me in the network (called "Whispernet") at home!

It's the little things in life that count, isn't it? grin

FWIW - my friend that has the K2 and the Nook says her Nook has locked up on her twice. As a pure reading devise only she prefers the Kindle.

Return to Top
#1589742 - 08/09/11 06:57 PM Re: e readers HRH Okie Banker
GenerousLife Offline
Diamond Poster
USA
I have the Kindle2 wifi with ads. I really love it. The fact that it isn't color doesn't matter to me, as I don't read magazines on it (at least not yet). The ads are only on the screen when you have the device "asleep". They are nice ads, some are very cute. No pop ups when you are reading.

I have the Kindle app on both my iPad and iPhone. The pros are that you can pick up any device and start reading where you left off. So if you find yourself waiting somewhere, you always have your reading material.

Cons to the iPad are it is too heavy and the screen is like looking in a mirror. I am not enamored with looking at myself while I read. (It forces me to realize that I am not 125 lbs and 25 years old, yuck!) The Kindle screen is not reflective at all. When I fall asleep while I'm reading, the Kindle is so light (most times lighter than a hardback) that it doesn't hurt when it smacks me in the face. The iPad would break my nose.

Love the battery life of the Kindle. So much longer than the iPad.

When you design a device that is a multi-tasker, then you are adding weight, battery life issues and speed. With the Kindle being a single use device (basically) you can get more streamlined.

If Kindle asked me my opinion, I would tell them to stick to their guns and keep it simple. Maybe add color, but I don't need to browse the Internet, play music or check my email from it.

QUIET! I'm reading!

Return to Top
#1589747 - 08/09/11 07:05 PM Re: e readers GenerousLife
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: GenerousLife
If Kindle asked me my opinion, I would tell them to stick to their guns and keep it simple. Maybe add color, but I don't need to browse the Internet, play music or check my email from it.

QUIET! I'm reading!

My sentiments exactly! smile I wouldn't even care if they never added color!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3