Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#158317 - 02/09/04 11:03 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Dawg, I also have the new Incubus CD and I really enjoy it, it's a little different from Morning View but the more I listen to it the more I like it. I may not agree with the content in the video, but I have always liked Incubus and will not let the video keep me from listening to their new stuff. Everyone is entitled to their opinions You should give it a listen

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#158318 - 02/09/04 11:06 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Fork Ate Spoon Offline
Diamond Poster
Fork Ate Spoon
Between Here and There
Dawg, I also have the new Incubus CD and I really enjoy it, it%

Return to Top
#158319 - 02/09/04 11:12 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Natalie Grant's "Deeper Life". For all you Daddy's out there with little girls you need to here "Always Be My Baby". It will bring a tear to your eye!!! A girl at our church had it played as a surprise to her Dad right after he gave her away. Our minister was a step ahead and had a kleenex stuffed in his Bible and handed it to the Dad as the music started. Wasn't a dry eye in the house! You can hear a snippet of it here Natalie Grant

Return to Top
#158320 - 02/09/04 11:17 PM Re: What are you listening to?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

AT, how do you like the new Incubus CD? I have Morning View and I really like it. Some of the things I saw in the "Megalomaniac" video bothered me, so I don't think I am going to get that CD. I hate it, too, because I really like Morning View. I have Meteora too, and I really like that CD. I can't imagine what Chester Bennington is going to sound like when he is about 50, but the CD is good.

SEMI-POLITICAL RANT WARNING
I have seen the video for "Megalomaniac" and I discovered that they are not too fond of the war or our President. If they disagree with the war or the President, it's their right, but it's the imagery of Hitler in the video that disturbs me. Even if you disagree with the war, how you could compare Hitler and Bush is inane. As a disclaimer to my little rant here, let me say that I don't really care for a debate on the First Amendment, celebrities role in political activism, or any of that. Just pointing out what I saw on the video and that I disagree with what's being said, particularly the comparisons of Bush and Hitler.

OFF-TOPIC RANT:

I'm pretty much fed up with the entertainment industry. The Superbowl fiasco is just the tip of the iceberg. Janet Jackson's excuse that Justin"was only supposed to rip off the outer portion of the outfit, revealing a red lace bra" is just pathetic. Regardless of what he tears off, I don't want my kids seeing a simulated sexual assault. I encourage boycotting any artist you do not like if you do not like what they are doing with their lifestyles, their mouths, their politics, etc.... It is your money! Now, I could continue by teeing off on the Adolph Coors company and their depraved ads, but I will return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

Return to Top
#158321 - 02/09/04 11:19 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
The local "Classic Rock" station is playing 24-hours of Beatles today, in honor of the 40th anniversary of their 1st appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Then it's "Fab-uary" - double shots, triple shots, and fab-foursomes of Beatles songs for the rest of the month.

Goes right along with my CD-player full of Beatles albums!

Return to Top
#158322 - 02/09/04 11:26 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I'm with you, Z. Carl Carleton's "Everlasting Love" was--is--a keeper. And after reading the list of Grammy winners this year, I think I'll stay with the old reliables: classical music, opera favorites, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, other jazz greats, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, James Taylor, Neil Young, Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, Tony Bennett, Steely Dan, Simon & Garfunkel, Elton John, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, George Thorogood, ZZ Top, Carole King (who turned 62 today ), and others whose names escape me.

Return to Top
#158323 - 02/10/04 12:16 AM Re: What are you listening to?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
I enjoyed seeing Earth Wind and Fire and Chick Corea with the Foo Fighters on the grammys. (I missed lots of the show playing cards) That's about all I can say about it though. Sad thing for a music lover like me. I guess I'm officially old....I don't "get" Outkast at all. When he got up at the end and said "Stank You, Stank You very much" and "You're Smellcome" I thought to myself, "He's as idiotic as 50 cent."

Return to Top
#158324 - 02/10/04 12:26 AM Re: What are you listening to?
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Dawg, I also have the new Incubus CD and I really enjoy it, it's a little different from Morning View but the more I listen to it the more I like it. I may not agree with the content in the video, but I have always liked Incubus and will not let the video keep me from listening to their new stuff. Everyone is entitled to their opinions You should give it a listen

Agreed. Well, one of the things I really like about Incubus is that they are musicians, not necessarily another cookie cutter band. Some of these bands are horrible. No musical or lyrical variety, just stuff that sells (which admittedly is the name of the game). One of my favorite songs from Morning View is "Just a Phase". You don't hear too many bands playing a song in something other than 4/4. That song switches signatures, too. I also liked their old bass player, but unfortunately, he left the band.

I guess the thing that bothers me is that musicians aren't really musicians anymore. They are sex symbols who happen to play music. It doesn't matter if you needed a computer or a studio singer to hide the fact that you couldn't carry a tune in a bucket if someone put it in there for you. As long as you have a good body and are willing to take your clothes off (or wear very little to begin with), it doesn't matter.

Return to Top
#158325 - 02/10/04 05:17 AM Re: What are you listening to?
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Quote:

Evanescence. They ROCK!!

My car has been in the shop for over a month now, but if I remember correctly, Evanescence is in the CD player
I love Evanescence, but I really don't like the version of "My Immortal" that is on the air right now. I really, REALLY love the version on the CD though.

To answer your question a little more accurately, "Away From the Sun" by 3 Doors Down is in my DVD player at home and I listen to the first 3 tunes every morning as I put my shoes on, tie my tie and relax for a minute. "When I'm Gone" is a great song and the video on the Naval vessel in the Gulf is excellent. 3 Doors Down earned a lot of respect from me for that one.

Return to Top
#158326 - 02/10/04 01:12 PM Re: What are you listening to?
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
In the car, it's NPR. Morning Edition and All things Considered are my primary news programs.

In the office, I have the local public radio station playing classical music. Mostly, it's background noise.

At home, right now the CD player has a Windham Hill Piano Sampler, Miles Davis, Benny Goodman, Dave Grusin, and the Chieftains. Mannheim Stamroller's Fresh Aire series is there frequently. But the next batch up will be either the soundtrack from Ken Burns' movie Jazz or Jimmy Buffett's Ballads, Bars, Beaches, etc. box set.

Return to Top
#158327 - 02/10/04 01:26 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I'm with you, Z. Carl Carleton's "Everlasting Love" was--is--a keeper. And after reading the list of Grammy winners this year, I think I'll stay with the old reliables: classical music, opera favorites, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, other jazz greats, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters, James Taylor, Neil Young, Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy, Tony Bennett, Steely Dan, Simon & Garfunkel, Elton John, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, George Thorogood, ZZ Top, Carole King (who turned 62 today ), and others whose names escape me.

Hey Steve, we have a lot in common. I love about 15 or more of the ones you mentioned. Oh Frank Sinatra!! But, you forgot Dave Brubeck??

Return to Top
#158328 - 02/10/04 01:27 PM Re: What are you listening to?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I have such a mix in my car at the moment:

Bruce Springsteen's greatest Hits
Carole King's Greatest Hits
Elton John's greatest hits
Alan Jackson's greatest hits II
Whitney Houston's Bodyguard soundtrack
Miles Davis

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#158329 - 02/10/04 02:47 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
In the car:
Tenacious D... Jack Black & Kyle Glass
in the computer here: monkees greatest hits
home: got the new sheryl crows greatest hits... good cd i love her stuff

Return to Top
#158330 - 02/10/04 02:53 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I'm a country girl:

Martina McBride - Martina
Alan Jackson - Greatest Hits II
Buddy Jewell - Buddy Jewell
Shania Twain - Up
Joe Nichols - Man With A Memory

All very good CDs if you like country music.

Return to Top
#158331 - 02/10/04 03:29 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

AT, how do you like the new Incubus CD? I have Morning View and I really like it. Some of the things I saw in the "Megalomaniac" video bothered me, so I don't think I am going to get that CD.

I didn't really like the video either, but the CD is growning on me. I like most of the songs, but not all of them. I can tell that they have a new guitar player. My favorite CD is still "Science".

Return to Top
#158332 - 02/10/04 03:43 PM Re: What are you listening to?
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Hmm. I've spent the past couple of evenings at home jamming to the Alan Parsons Project, the Tubes, Garbage, Supreme Beings of Leisure, and Nine Inch Nails.

Return to Top
#158333 - 02/10/04 03:43 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Hey Steve, we have a lot in common. I love about 15 or more of the ones you mentioned. Oh Frank Sinatra!! But, you forgot Dave Brubeck??

Maria, you are absolutely correct. How could I forget the fabulous "Time Out" album? I guess that Brubeck, along with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, was included in the "other jazz greats" category.

I also should add cajun and zydeco to my list. Love that New Orleans cooking!

Return to Top
#158334 - 02/10/04 04:54 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

In the car, it's NPR. Morning Edition and All things Considered are my primary news programs.

In the office, I have the local public radio station playing classical music. Mostly, it's background noise.

At home, right now the CD player has a Windham Hill Piano Sampler, Miles Davis, Benny Goodman, Dave Grusin, and the Chieftains. Mannheim Stamroller's Fresh Aire series is there frequently. But the next batch up will be either the soundtrack from Ken Burns' movie Jazz or Jimmy Buffett's Ballads, Bars, Beaches, etc. box set.

Like your choice of jazz. Dave Grusin is great!!!! If you haven't heard any Rick Braun you need to. David Benoit is another great!

Return to Top
#158335 - 02/10/04 05:04 PM Re: What are you listening to?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Okay, new day, new CD....this morning it's Robert Earl Keen, Farm Fresh Onions. (anyone from Austin should be laughing right about now....)

Return to Top
#158336 - 02/10/04 06:01 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Hey Elena - I've got the "Pirates" sound track in my pc's cd player! Good music to keep me focused on work... (Yeah, so that's why I'm at the watercooler...)

Return to Top
#158337 - 02/10/04 06:09 PM Re: What are you listening to?
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Hey Elena - I've got the "Pirates" sound track in my pc's cd player! Good music to keep me focused on work... (Yeah, so that's why I'm at the watercooler...)

Return to Top
#158338 - 02/10/04 10:41 PM Re: What are you listening to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

So, what music are you listening to right now?

My Morning Jacket – It Still Moves
Drive By Truckers – Decoration Day
Trey Anastasio – Plasma
Moe. – Wormwood
Allman Brothers Band – Hittin’ the Note
Kathleen Edwards – The Failer

Return to Top
#158339 - 02/10/04 10:50 PM Re: What are you listening to?
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Right now the CD player is carrying "Alice in Chains" by Alice in Chains (their last studio album). It replaced a greatest hits CD of The Who.

Return to Top
#158340 - 02/11/04 12:15 AM Re: What are you listening to?
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
Jim Rome-Sports Radio

Return to Top
#158341 - 02/11/04 02:58 AM Re: What are you listening to?
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Watching a DVD of the Moody Blues at Red Rocks, with a symphony as the backup band, takes me back 35 years

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4